“Disappointed !!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Vieux Fort
toronto
“Disappointed !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had such a wonderful experience at Coconut Bay last January. Arriving at the airport I noticed that I had left my jacket at the resort. I called as soon as I got home to have it sent to me at my expense. Mr. Evans emailed to say that they did not have it and would reimburse me for it. After emailing Mr. Ingler, Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje at Coconut Bay Resort and being reassured by Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje that I would receive the reimbursement promised to me by Mr. Evans and Mr. Taylor I am still waiting 12 months later. Every e-mail has been so positive but so far nothing promised has been followed through on. :^(

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

3,223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned from this resort with our two children (11 and 9). This was my fourth all-inclusive experience and second in St. Lucia. We wanted the children to have the opportunity to experience more than just an all-inclusive resort, but outside adventures and culture as well. We came across this resort when we were looking for a good all round family destination in the Caribbean. We generally like to explore different destinations, but our previous experience on this beautiful island was enough to influence our decision to return. The reviews of Coconut Bay on this website helped our decision further and set the right expections. We knew we were going to a resort that was somewhat tired looking, but very clean, so we were not disappointed in its apperarence which is currently being addressed. The beach was very natural and better than expected (we read some bad reviews - they must have taken a coconut to the head). We took some great walks in both directions watching the children frolicking about in the sand and sea. Some days we didn't run into anyone at all along the way - you can walk to a stunning public beach and the town one way, and past the kite surf shop point to great views in the other direction. If you are looking for deep beaches packed with people than this beach is not for you, but we loved it! We all had lots of fun on the water slides which added that little extra to the many great pools at the resort. We were pleasantly surprised about the food. There were a lot of options to choose from - could be a little warmer, but understand it is typical of most buffets. Soups were excellent. The beach grill was great for grabbing snacks and was also a good alternative to the buffet at lunch. Most of the resort staff made our trip a wonderful experience, but particular mention goes to Marcellus. His great energy, personality and respectful encouragement to get people involved in the various activities from morning to evening - he is the resort's top asset. He made a great impression on our children as well and kept them entertained. There was some good entertainment in the lobby as well, but we found it ended too early. The paintball was closed when inquired and games room was closed during our stay which disappointed the kids, although, there were other activities that we enjoyed i.e. pool table in lobby, bocce ball, tennis, water volleyball, water polo, ping pong etc. It is important to note that the location was windy most of the time, but not a distraction from our great experience at the resort. We were initially concerned about being too close to the airport but only a few flights left each day and we barely noticed them, therefore, the proximity to the airport was a plus due to the 5 minute trip.

Adventures: We went on the Catamaran trip during our first stay and wanted the children to enjoy the same experience with the breathtaking views of the Island. Zip lining in Dennery was thrilling and lots of fun, but try to get in front of the line if you are with a group larger than 8.

Overall it was a great family vacation and we would highly recommend this resort to other families.

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor room so that we could sit outside and watch the kids play or run to grab d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Good afternoon Tamara. Thank you for taking the time to share your Coconut Bay experience. We will be sure to share your praise with all of the team and especially those that you pointed out. They will be thrilled. Our team is definately our greatest asset. We are so pleased you had a wonderful time. It is great to hear that your children enjoyed themselves. We are proud to display St Lucia's finest entertainers and we strive to schedule entertainment at all different times throughout the property. Our lobby entertainment runs nightly from 7-8:30 and then other entertainment startes at 9 pm in differnet locales- main Stage, Blu Bar, Adult Pool or Peter Johns Lounge. We host Family Karaoke, Adult Karaoke, Reggae Paty, a Country and Western Show, a Caribbean show, Sing along, 3 different bands and a Disc Jockey nightly. We aspire to have something for everyones entertainment tastes.

Thanks once again and we hope to see you soon
Stay Warm

Cheers
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our fourth visit to CBay was great. While I have been critical in the past, I noted several improvements. The food was better prepared (something for everyone), dining room furniture has been upgraded, entertainment was very good, and service was excellent. Although we experienced a few very minor problems with our room (TV remote, flickering light,), our problems were addressed quickly, professionally and courteously. As always, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and we look forward to our fifth visit next year.

Room Tip: We stayed on the adult side in a premium room where the views of the ocean are better.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

There is not much one can add to the reviews below - if you look at them in aggregate then you have a balanced picture of the resort.

We stayed just three nights at this resort as we wanted a stopping off point before heading on to another hotel - to get over jet lag (from UK) and experience the atlantic side of the island (we were heading on to a hotel in soufriere).

This is a decent resort at a decent price. It is a resort that looks like it hasn't been updated since the late eighties - and at that time I suspect it would have been a good 4 star - now it is simply a dated 3 star resort. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it's simply to make you aware of the facilities on offer.

In summary, my wife and I stayed in the harmony (couples side of the resort) and liked:

- The fact that it was on the atlantic side of the island - this makes for spectacular sunrise beach walks (circa 06.30am) and the beach is great as you can walk for a good 45 mins round trip up and down the beach. There are not many resorts on the caribbean side that can boast that. Yes, the sea is rougher and as a result seaweed does come onto the beach but I can't say this ruined it for us.
- The staff are truly an asset - they are warm, friendly and helpful - particularly the amusing bar staff. Great ambience.
- The fact that watersports are available - if you like kite surfing then come here!
- The food was quite good (not 'excellent') but we found something we liked from the buffet every day. We did also go to Silks (asian) and Calabash (caribbean) based on previous recommendations but were not that impressed. I guess it depends on what you like to eat.
- We weren't with kids but I can imagine those with small kids (under 12) would find this place perfect - the rides, lazy river, kids water park - all make for a great way to keep the young ones entertained.
- Despite our fears - we didn't see a mosquitoe whilst here.

We didn't like:
- the rooms - even though we were in a renovated room - it was still basic, smelt of damp - but it wasn't that traumatic.
- the bathrooms - as previous people have said - these are very dated now
- the entertainment - wasn't to our liking - but everyone else seemed to like it!

We did rent a car for one of the days and that lent a different perspective on the island (I would highly recommend this)- we also stopped off at other resorts (e.g. sandals, bodyholiday) and saw there is a huge difference between resorts (i.e. they looked quite good) - but also a huge difference in cost.

If you want a reasonably budgeted holiday and come with realistic expectations then you'll enjoy your holiday I suspect.

Hope that helps!

Room Tip: the higher floors are better in the harmony side of the resort
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed 14-28 Dec 2012.

I have tried to be honest and fair in this review as there are so many differing reviews on here for this resort. My family of 5 saved all year to go to Coconut Bay, we paid what we consider to be a luxury price for a luxury holiday. Overall, a nice resort in a nice spot but very disappointing food. It fell way short of our expectations. Bottom line - we wouldn’t return and wouldn’t recommend to others.

So here goes, the good and the bad according to our party of 2 adults 3 kids, aged 17, 13 and 11.
LOCATION/CHECK IN - Great location, make no mistake, it’s genuinely 5 minutes from the airport but no need to worry about plane noise it didn’t bother us one bit. Rum Punch on arrival and our bags were brought to the room promptly. Service from the Reception ladies could have been much better, not at all friendly.

ROOMS - We were given the inter connecting Rooms we requested when booking (rooms 120+121) splash side on the ground floor. Quite spacious, 2 Queen beds, clean bedding and comfortable pillows. The safe was very handy and easy to use. There was also a small fridge stocked with water and replenished by the maid. There is a iron, ironing board, hairdryer, shaver point and Tea/coffee making facilities. We took travel adapters but didn’t need to use them, there were plenty of sockets. TV. Both the Air-con and fan worked well and we used both a lot. Our rooms were great because we had a small patio and a huge grassed area where we pulled a couple of sun loungers over so we could relax whilst the kids went to the pools and slides and we could still see them.

THE BEACH - The resort is on the Atlantic Ocean side so the sea is quite choppy. There is a bit of a problem with seaweed, its not the slimy, smelly kind we get in England but more like loose pine needles. A tractor is on the beach daily cleaning it up and once that’s done it‘s clean and sandy. It is quite breezy most of the time, but in 30 degree heat it’s a welcome bonus. Great beach for Kite surfing and generally just messing around with the kids riding the waves.

POOLSIDE
Lots of palm trees, cabana beds, hammocks, comfortable chaises and shade if you want it under the Tiki huts. Plenty of sun loungers.

SPLASH FAMILY POOL - Great pool for the kids especially for the little ones, with a fountain in the middle and waterfalls leading to the pool bar.

WATERPARK - Kept us and the kids amused for hours. Big inflatable tubes slowly take you around the lazy river, there is a waterfall you have to travel under, or you can climb the stairs to the top of the tower and choose from two slides, an open one or the enclosed Coconut Cannon, both quite fast. A little rough on your back though if you lay down (especially if you have caught the sun). The activity pool is a good size and is close to the Jacuzzi. However, I didn’t see anyone clean any of them the whole 2 weeks we were there. They trimmed hedges around the lazy river and left all the bits floating in it. The housekeeping around the pools isn’t as good as it could be, with empty glasses from the night before still laying around the floor.

SERVICE - Some of the staff especially at the splash pool, are very jolly, singing and juggling, showing off to the kids. However, the reception desk and the lounge staff (mainly ladies) served us many times without a single word, no smile, no thank you, no nothing. Quite simply . . Rudeness! My eldest son (aged 17) was at the bar in the lounge one afternoon waiting to be served some kids cocktails, he must have been there for 10 minutes whilst they ignored him and served everyone else around him, even those who were obviously behind him in the queue, he is 6ft tall, so cant be missed, in the end I had to go over and stand with him for him to be served.

ENTERTAINMENT - usually in the lounge around 7-9pm. The best entertainment was a western band playing whilst we ate our evening meal outside by the pool, and a chap who was an excellent guitar player playing blues songs. They did have a female singer too a few times, the trouble is when they have the amps on in the lounge it is so loud you cant have a conversation with anyone. To be honest there isn’t really a lot for the kids to do in the evenings, they are not allowed in the Peter Johns Lounge from 9pm and with only one pool table in the lounge we were back in our rooms early most nights. My kids are must be an awkward age, too old for kids clubs and too young for the bars, so not much for them to do. Christmas was a non-event. We expected special food, music, dancing, games. We waited in the lounge until 9pm and then gave up and went back to our rooms, and then the entertainment started in the sports bar but it was so loud and the singer was terrible.

THE LOUNGE - Good choice of cocktails, pool table, nice atmosphere, shame there were lots of people smoking, not happy about that and I am very surprised its allowed so close to an eating area? When it rained the water poured in through the roof window, down the light fitting, (which was switched on) and drenched the pool table.

THE SPORTS BAR - Great to watch sports and have a drink. Unmanned a few times though. The seats are terrible, plastic, really low and so uncomfortable, This is were the table tennis tables are but because the bar is open ended so its too windy to play.

FOOD - What an utter disappointment. This is our first taste of all inclusive and believe me we were not impressed. The kids struggled, they are not massive salad fans and so lived on pastries at breakfast and junk from the grill. I have read some of the previous reviews and wonder if those people stayed in the same place! I like nice food. I paid a lot of money for this holiday and for a four star resort I expected good quality food. There needs to be more choice and much better quality meat and fish dishes.

COCONUT WALK BUFFET
A casual dinning room, you are shown to your seats by a waiter who also brings your drinks, and then you go and help yourselves. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day. An egg/omelette station, fresh fruit, pastries, toast, bagels, juices, these were all good. The bacon and sausages were awful. They had a great waffle station but it was only open once in the whole two weeks. The cereals were poor quality and the kids said the milk tasted like UHT rather than fresh? Lunch and Dinner were most times very disappointing. All of the meat/fish dishes are overcooked and are always covered in a sauce, at times they were so salty we couldn’t eat them. The vegetables were very hard. We ate mostly salad, bread and maybe the soup if it wasn’t too salty. The food at best is barely warm. I would say it is definitely geared towards the American market. Almost all of the deserts have cinnamon in. There seemed to be lots of peanut butter, mac and cheese, cheesy fries, maple this, cured that. The House red wine was just about drinkable. The soft drinks are just awful in here, the kids wouldn’t drink them, they are better from the grill. We all found the evening meals to be very poor. As for the childrens station there is one meal, no choice. The ice cream machine was very often either not working at all or not cold enough and the ice cream was like milk shake.

SILKS - Just dreadful food. Luke warm. Out of the five dishes we all had only one was edible. The waitress took as much away from the table as she brought. Why Reservations are required for Silks and Calabash I don’t know, there was never more than a few people in them. Fine dining - NO! As for the Dress code - WHY? There seemed no point for anyone to dress up at all (and not many did). That is part of what I enjoy most about holidaying, the social aspect of dressing up and going out to dine.

ITALIAN/CALABASH - We didn’t try either. Because our youngest is 11 years old, we would have only been allowed to be seated at the earliest family sitting. We saw the food for the Italian coming out of the grill and so we didn’t bother. Calabash we didn’t try because both it and Silks had the same limited menu for the whole two weeks we were there. Hardly what I consider fine dining.

BEACHSIDE GRILL - Basically a tacky, dirty, junk food joint. From what I read in the brochures and some reviews on T.A. I was expecting fresh chicken and steaks to be chosen by me and cooked in front of me. No, again, just overly salted food. The fries were good, the kids has them a lot, but fries everyday for a fortnight isn’t my idea of great food. The pizzeria is an oven sitting on the grill counter with four pizzas in being kept warm. There are five in our party, we would have needed at least three pizzas. Only served at lunch times. No facility to order? The service was so slow, not surprising as to be fair there is only usually only one person serving. The Nacho station is an oven sitting on the grill counter with soft nachos and that awful cheese in a squeezy bottle. The tables, chairs and wooden railings were dirty, so too was the drinks dispenser and sauce area.

DRINKS - The local beer was good. The white bubbly wine they served in the lounge bar was okay. Nice selection of cocktails, ones for the kids too. However not made with the branded liqueurs and spirits we are used to but obviously cheaper ones.

WIFI ACCESS - Patchy at best but mostly non existent. Wouldn’t have been an issue but we had a week of bad weather so would have handy especially for the kids as there isn’t much to occupy them if the weather is bad.

OBSERVATIONS - There was a mix of around 60% American/Canadian 30% Brits, 10% other. They have sellers who come twice weekly, some nice items to buy and they also do hair braiding. The donkeys bray quite loudly in the morning, didn’t bother is too much but what might get on your nerves is the noise, of what some say is frogs that come out at night and others say is from crickets? Regardless the noise from them is 6pm-6am!

Basically it could have been a fantastic holiday but fell short due to the food, because of this we found ourselves making the most of it, not what you want from your dream holiday :((((

Room Tip: Splash side ground floor, great as you can see the children from your rooms and lounge on the grasse...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We booked 7 nights in harmony for a couples break.

On arrival into St Lucia very easy transfer to the hotel It's
advertised as free but of course is just built into the rate. On check
in very friendly staff and a welcome drink. Bags were delivered to
room and we were soon settled in.

We tried every bar and every restaurant. "Silks" was very
disappointing but others raved about it. "Calabash" was very good as
was "Capri". The buffet restaurant was quite samey always a good
selection but always very similar even on theme nights. Breakfast was
nice, Mary the egg lady makes a great omelette and is a hidden talent.

Of all the bars the harmony pool bar was by far the best. Clearly
Junias has a following on here and on YouTube which is valid. He is a
great bartender and it's testament to him that on his days off the
place is dead. Whilst we were there he was mysteriously suspended and
if the rumours are true, completely unjustifiably. If you want to join
in with his humour he will entertain you for hours, but if you want to
be left alone he will respect that... Or just find another bar there's
plenty to choose from!

Rooms were cleaned daily at random times. Water was not provided daily
in the mini bar unless prompted and from talking to others the more
the tip the maid the more you get (high tippers get beer, coke etc).
This is unacceptable for a hotel that says all gratuities included. I
am happy to (and did) tip for good service but I flatly refuse to be
bribed for something I've paid for.

There's some really weird complaints that show up on here, for example seaweed and wind! Quite how the hotel can be responsible for an act of nature
is beyond me. The seaweed is stringy rather than leafy and the hotel clean it
constantly. It's really no issue.

I'm not going to praise everything though. The place needs a facelift
which does appear to be in progress. However it does need
accelerating. The food is nice but after a week does turn you off. The
beach grille is no better than a roadside burger joint but kids seem
to love it. My arteries didn't! Also stay away from the house wine.

All in all guests and staff all seemed happy. I'd come back again
despite the niggles but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the sea. So a garden view is basically a lower floor.
Long Point, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We chose this resort because of the high reviews and high price (of which we were able to get a great deal through our agent). First impression was not good at all. It was not visually a four star, more a three with tired buildings and dated colours, chairs and decor. I have to say we were initially disappointed. HOWEVER, the staff was incredible. House keeping was perfect. Marcellus from entertainment made the trip. I haven't seen so many people willingly participate in the activities and know it was all due to the staff's encouragement and persuasion. I was genuinely impressed by that. Food was ok at first and not great and not hot. We travelled with our two teenage daughters, one of which joked that they had bugged our room. Everything we complained about was in the process of being fixed the next day. From the third day on, food was much better and covers were placed on the buffet to keep it hotter. Then when my husband commented to me about the nails poking through the boards on the upper lounge deck, the next day, workers were up there replacing and repairing the deck. It was a little spooky! That to say, they are constantly making the resort better and it was noticeable even in the short week we were there.

Couple things to note about the area:
very windy. We wanted to play lots of beach volleyball and only got to do it once because of high winds. Excellent for kite boarding. That was our fault for not researching the area better.
very beautiful. had an island tour and very much enjoyed the varied countryside and beauty.

At the end of it all I would have to say the resort did well to keep us enjoying our holiday. Keep up the hard work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!