“A very nice three star resort with great waterpark” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

You added Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 246, Beanfield, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 50% on Winter!
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Baildon, England
“A very nice three star resort with great waterpark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from 14th Dec to 28th December with my wife and three kids (13,10 and 4). We stayed on 1st floor in rooms 228-229 (connecting).

Overall we had a great time - who wouldn't on a Caribbean Island - and below ill give you my pro's and con's:

Pro's:

5 mins from the airport - perfect after a long flight
Great welcome at the hotel
3 pools so none of them overcrowded
Menu was varied daily
Great breakfast
Staff - friendly and always smiling
Close to the beach
Rooms are a good size
Kids Club - although mine didn't use it very often
Waterpark & Lazy River - kids and adults loved it
Competively priced (mainly because its on the Atlantic coast not the Caribbean)
Grill bar
Cocktails - try the Dirty Banana

Cons:

Wifi was intermittent
Bathrooms definitely need money spending on them
Small leak in our bathroom for whole two weeks - reported but nothing done
Kids menu - not varied enough - thankfully the grill bar came to the rescue
Mosquito's - bring bands, repellents, garlic and plug in's - the hotel do their best to spray every dusk.
Theft - 99% sure we had an iPhone stolen from room - there were three on show and an iPad (stupid I know) but the only one taken was the one without a pass code lock.
Beach - quite small and lots of seaweed. However it is natural and still more than happy to use it. Hotel does it's best to clean it a few times per day with tractor.
Horse riding - dont use stables connected to hotel. The horses aren't under control enough and the instructor isn't experienced enough - never been on a horse before and 200 yards into the ride made the horses gallop!!!!

Would I return - possibly but with so many other nice places to visit it may be a long time. I do wish everybody at the hotel continued success as they are definitely going in the right direction.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others. I have been to the Caribbean 4 times previously and this wasn't for us. A family of 5 ages : baby to 13.

The good

The food was great. I love my food and not at all fussy but if you are into chips then there is a snack bar for all your needs. The salads and dishes were perfect. The homemade biscuits and cakes were gorge! Never normally eat pudding on holiday but couldn't resist! We also loved silks and calabash. Really good food and didn't have to pay extra. We had 4 meals in there and loved it. Make sure you use these restaurants. Also the snack bar as i mentioned earlier did good fast food and Jacob is a gem.
The water aerobics was also fantastic. Had my rum punches straight after served by the lovely, smily Mitch.
Met loads of lovely families. Never met Canadians before and they are such lovely generous people and really good fun!
Beach wasn't as bad as others said and they couldn't have done more to clear the seaweed. A beach bar would have been great though.
Lazy river was nice and kids loved the chutes. They said the staff were really moody though. Apart from the lovely smiling ken! Such a cute boy so happy and courteous and always looked fresh. I also liked felicia, Kay, Clyde, big ted and previously mentioned Mitch. And junias was a great laugh!

The bad

The room! Smelt of mildew! Not nice. But we had big beds each. My toddler had a playpen instead of a cot so her feet touched the end! Not great.
Some staff were nice to people's faces but saw them talking creole to their colleagues saying things I guess not nice.
The bathrooms. Oh dear! No bath just an old 70's shower with blue wall tiles on the floor which wasn't great for baby and I slipped too so there were towels everywhere! The maid although ok. Didn't come unless you put sign out(never had that before they normally just come?) and we had a lot of rain even in December and needed to take baby back to room to chill and at 5 still hadn't been all day?! Happened a lot so we just asked for clean towels and told her to not worry.
The whole place is tired but ongoing refurb going on. A lady I know had her iPhone stolen which according to BA hostess common practice so do not leave items of value in room.
Back door was locked by putting a block of wood on it?!
Entertainment was the worst we have had! Great lady singer now and again but she started at 7 while you are eating dinner and can't hear her then when you are ready to relax and listen come 8.30 she packs up! Budget maybe? Man on guitars great but aso early finish. Outdoor nights are ok they do love a fire eater so better than nothing. Violin payers were painful had to leave! Normally in Caribbean you have great singers and steel drums playing until 11 and the atmosphere is normally fantastic. Sometimes they did shows in the blu room which is plastic chairs. They need to put on more in the lobby bar for more atmosphere as no atmosphere there and don't bother dressing for dinner ladies. Most people still in flip flops and the same beach clothes!! Ahhh!

The ugly

The French Canadian family who were absolutely vile and bullied everyone especially a lovely 70 year old who was just out with his family to enjoy Himself and they hit him and his wife (?!) and the manager didn't put the scum who had so many complaints about them and their kids behaviour put out on the street. So bad Cbay. The innocent party had to make themselves scarce and couldn't sit or eat where they wanted to because of this. I really felt for them as they were a lovely family and the others were pure scum and Cbay didn't do anything.
My husband and I are covered in bites but they are not mosquito bites? I must have 60. Some people had their rooms debugged and were walking around covered. What are they? If anyone knows please let me know as I am itching still!
On the whole the place is Ok. Not bad but not great. I wouldn't personally return and after visiting I am wary of how they have such great reviews as most people I spoke to were very disappointed. I made the most of it as I was on holiday but it seems to be made out to be better than it is.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The staff was great! The pools were large and clean with plenty of chairs. The rooms were a bit rundown. The beach looks beautiful with gorgous views but the ocean has tons of seaweed. Food was decent. We did the zipline and the private boat trip which were both excellent!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mexico, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our family of 17 decided to spend Christmas at Coconut Bay Resort. It was great. Not a one of us had any complaints. Service and food was fabulous. People working for the resort were wonderful. I have never met such nice, friendly, happy people working to make our vacation so enjoyable. From the greeting that we received and the beverage was a hit to the "hii-five" out the van window when we left - you all made us feel like family. Special thanks to Da Joker, Big Ted, Kay, Mary on the grill - omelets were fabulous.
Rooms were clean and comfortable, yes it is dated but we did not come to St.Lucia to inspect rooms - we came for Island fun, sunshine and a good time. We were not disappointed.
Thanks for making our Christmas vacation a memorable one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is the second time that I and my husband have stayed at this resort. We loved every minute of it. The first time we visited was in 2009 but we still thoroughly enjoyed this time.
Our most recent stay was for 14 nights at the beginning of December (2012). I truly wonder however, whether some of the people who have written awful, scathing reviews about Coconut Bay really stayed there!
We go on holiday to rest, relax and enjoy a long deserved break. It seems to me that some people spend their holidays looking for as many negative points and criticisms as possible. What a waste of a holiday. Perhaps they should spend their money on luxury high-end breaks instead of booking into a FAMILY RESORT???
Anyway, that is my point of view and we love this resort so much that we are bringing our daughter, her husband and their daughter back with us in 2 years time (Yes........it's Nesta and Barry you lot at Coco Bay!!!!)
The food in the main dining area is especially varied with healthy options as well as indulgencies. (Yum!Yum! to ALL the food though!) The choice of speciality restaurants is fine, but I think that at least one visit to each is well worth it, if only to say that you have had the experience. The grill bar is also a definite "must eat" experience. Delicious!!!
The entertainment, theme days/nights, beach parties, bars, resort facilities, lazy river etc. were fabulous. These may not all have been to everyone's taste, but hey, a holiday is what you make of it and as the staff bend over backwards and the whole resort is nice, clean and welcoming, I can find NOTHING to complain about.
Speaking of the staff................what a MAGNIFICENT bunch. There is not one member of staff that was unpleasant or unhelpful. We were always made to feel SO SPECIAL!
From the reception staff, to the entertainment staff, to the lovely dreadlocks guy in the gardens who "zaps" any unwelcome bugs, to the cleaners, to the maintenance guys, to the bar staff, to the luggage carriers, to the restaurant staff, to the chefs and catering staff, to the office staff, to the supervisors and managers........EVERYONE of them deserve much more than a big pat of congratulations on their backs!
Special thanks from me go to Jeohannes (maintenance), Chris (from St.Thomas - J.A.), Jedi, Junias, Mona Lisa, Big Ted, Petula, Marvin, Shaney, Lucas, Hidy, Agnes (our cleaner) and extra special thanks to Lindy (words fail me with this magnificent lady!)
Even extra special thanks goes to my favourite "personal trainer" Anson (entertainment team). Without those gym work-outs (and my pitiful one-off stint at Aqua-aerobics), I would need a new wardrobe of much bigger clothes. Anson, you are magnificent!
Thank you all so much including all those whose names I cannot remember or do not know.
We look forward to seeing you all again in a couple of years time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Coconut Bay obviously values it's 4.5 star trip advisor rating, which we feel is well deserved. This hotel's proximity to the airport was perfect for us given that we were travelling with two children aged 1 and 3. The kids' club was the main attraction for us as it is one of the very few that we could find that will take 1 year olds. In the event, we didn't us the club much as we preferred to have the children with us, but the facilities there were very good and the staff very caring. Particular thanks to Alice, Eulia and Zwena who looked after the kids beautifully when we did leave them. We found there was a full program of activities for the children, but probably better suited to slightly older kids than ours as is to be expected. Our 3 year old really enjoyed splash time and decorating coconuts.

Upsides of this resort: very clean pools and the resort in general was kept very well. Housekeeping, in our case Annette, was excellent and very friendly. Calabash restaurant was excellent and the children-only seating at 6pm is a great idea - thank you to the manager Benjamin for making us feel so welcome and for giving our boy ice cream, which he really enjoyed. Silks was also nice, as was the usual buffet - plentiful food, fresh fruits, salads and pastires, a good egg station and different theme nights plus a kids' section - we can't fault it. The bars were also very good and a great choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

Downsides were few and far between - some of the rooms looked slightly tired, particularly the bathrooms (but this does not claim to be a 5* resort), Capri restaurant wasn't so good, and some of the bar staff of the lobby bar could have been more friendly, but apart from that we can't see room for improvement.

Other observations - take insect repellent - we visited in December and for the most part there were no mosquitos on the dry days (they do spray to keep them away), but they came out after some rain. We booked an excursion through the tour desk - a half day trip with a driver to see the volcano and go snorkelling at Jalousie Beach - a good trip with a friendly driver and well worth the cost we thought.

On the whole, this was a lovely holiday and we feel the resort is excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pflugerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I were here this past October for our anniversary. Everything was amazing, the food the drinks and the staff! We would love to visit again in the near future with the family. One thing I wish could have been better was the water - alot of seaweed. But that isn't the resorts fault. And they did do everything possible to try to keep the beach clear of the stuff. There wasn't much to see in Castries, but we did go to the hot springs and the mud baths, went horseback riding on the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Splash side but it wasn't loud or crazy with kids.