“Will be back for sure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

You added Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 246, Beanfield, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
caribbean
“Will be back for sure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

As their brochure says..Casually Caribbean..Incredibly All Inclusive.. that being said...it should clue you in to the fact that this is not a high end resort, but it definitely holds its own against some other "popular" properties on the island. The location is great in that it is minutes away from the major international airport. Yes unfortunately it sits on the Atlantic side of the island, and there was a lot of Sargassum seawed in the water when i was there ( that mangement kindly told us about in their letter placed in doorway ) and on the shoreline that the groundsmen worked at daily to keep control of and remove what came up on the beach, thankfully the smell from the seaweed wasn't overpowering. Not that you really miss the beach with all the other things you can do, but I guess it's still nice to see the tropical waters at its best. Nice long stretch of beach to walk on, takes you towards the kite surfing centre where I.actually found the best spot to sea bathe just in front of it. There is one main restaurant in the morning for breakfast, which is quite adequate as it was able to handle the flow of early risers to later morning diners...Lunch can also be found here or depending on your fancy there is the beach grill for more fast food type fare and they set up an outdoor buffet as well. For dinner there's usually a buffet of some sort sort organized and there are 3 smaller restaurants that you need to make reservations to dine in..Asian, Caribbean / Creole fusion and Italian, which unfortunately I didn't get chance to sample dinner from. I think you would miss this "restaurant" ordinarily as it it is not a proper enclosed set up like the other 2 upstairs but just an area that is cordoned off at night to faciliate those wishing to eat there. Heard the food was good though! I quite enjoyed the meals at Silks which is the Asian restaurant and at Calabash, the Caribbean one. Nightly entertainment is provided downstairs and caters for all guests there, adults and kids alike. There's also a lounge area upstairs with a bar that you could hang out at and also a small disco ( no kids here ). There's another main bar down in the lobby area, the swim up bar at the family pool, ( odd place for a swim up bar but I guess it gives the teenagers the idea that they're cool ) a soda fountain just by the beach grill, another bar on the Adults only wing of the Hotel by the pool and the Blue bar..which kind of lends to a sports bar type atmosphere that could be a little rowdy when important games are on, thankfully nobody got out of control. The pools are great, fun times at the water slides and chill out on the lazy river ride.. The Spa is pretty decent as well.. got the best massage..thanks to my masseuse Barbara.. nice treatment rooms etc. These are at cost. The Hotel rooms themselves are pleasant enough..housekeeping was great ..even had a turndown service in the evening..and bottled water is brought to the room to place in the mini fridge.. the bathrooms could do with some updating..nicer framed mirrors would help the decor. but they were fine.. good water pressure. The staff in general are all very pleasant and hospitable.This is a great Hotel for those with families.. couples..and if you get a group of friends together..even better !! There's a car rental desk and a tour desk in the lobby as well...some great tours to check out..The nearby town of Vieux Fort is small but quaint if you feel the need to leave the resort..Guys there's a Diamonds International jewelry shop upstairs..try not to walk past it with your other half if you don't want your wallet to get empty !! oh there's a gym and some tennis courts..I didn't use either as after eating I just looked for the nearest lounger to lie on so that I could digest !! What I think I liked best is the "casualness" of the place and not having to "dress up" too much for dinner as in some other resorts, you felt comfortable and not pretentious and will definitely go back for sure :-) Cheers !!!

Room Tip: If you can, get a room on the 4th floor, sometimes on the lower floors, you can hear people moving...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
William104, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments! As our goal is to ensure that all our guests come to Coconut Bay, have fun and enjoy all the activities that we have to offer, leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated and return to do it all over again. We are happy that you had fun and we have commended the team for a job well done.

Thank you again for your visit, and we do look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
Porters Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Coconut Bay with our almost 3-year-old daughter for two weeks from April 28 to May 12, 2012. Loved it! It was our first time to Saint Lucia. The weather wasn't the best. It rained at least one a day every day and all day for three day. We managed to get in beach and pool time all except one day. I'm a beach person, and reading the reviews, I knew I was sacrificing a nice beach for the slide and other amenities for children. I was surprised at how large the beach was -- not just long but also wide. The waves weren't too bad, but the seaweed was unbearable, so I only swam in the ocean three times at the resort. We received a note from management indicating this was an abnormal amount of seaweed. The machinery was constantly cleaning, which was nice in one way, but by the end of the second week, I preferred the seaweed over the machinery running back and forth all day.

The rooms were not as outdated as I had anticipated from the reviews. We had requested a first floor room near the pool and lobby, which we got. Loved the room location. We were in room 102.The resort didn't appear to scrimp on anything - shampoo, towels, etc. And we felt that if there were anything we asked for, we would've received it without question. The walls in the room looked like they had been sprayed and left, so there were water stains on the wall and there were places where drinks had spilt under the desk and near the fridge that had turned moldy. The sheets were not changed daily, and they don't tell you this. That was a little disappointing since you’re constantly bringing sand in the bed from your feet. We had to call maintenance quite a few times. I think we had a dud room. The remote control for the television continuously stopped working; our door lock was broken our very first day and they had to replace it (which we appreciated since we had already unpacked and didn't want to be moved), our safe wouldn't open once, a light bulb in the lamp blew out and blew the fuse to all the plugs in one half of our room one day. It wasn't anything that would ruin our trip, but the TV remote was annoying.

The pools were surprisingly clean (or at least appeared to be). In the mornings before staff got through their cleaning there was debris from the night before, likely due to the amount of rain during our stay. The loungers were not in need of repair like some of the reviews report.
There were a lot of complaints about the mosquitos. Bring repellant and spray your legs before supper! We weren't bothered much by the bugs. Not the resort's fault there are mosquitos. There were not mosquitos in the day. We did see two cockroaches our first day in our room, but we think the room may have been vacant before we came and there were people spraying for bugs daily. Didn't see any more after the first day.

The room was equipped with a mini-fridge, which we enjoyed. It was only stocked with water (and we had to ask once for it to be replenished), but still, enjoyed the bottled water. There was air conditioning and a ceiling fan, which we actually had to shut off because we found our room too cold in the evenings. I would've liked an extra blanket for the beds. We made due. There are only showers in the room, so I would buy a blow-up tub if you are bringing an infant. Like anywhere else we've stayed, hot water was sometimes difficult to come by, but only for short periods of time.

The main grounds are absolutely beautiful. Some of the best groomed and most colourful plants I've seen. The adult side was not as nice, with the grass sparse in some places and a road running though the Harmony side. The back part of the resort was also not as well taken care of (where the laundry room--there is self-serve laundry, tennis courts, etc. are located).

There is complementary Wi-Fi in the lobby, as well as complimentary computers with internet and a printer. We enjoyed this.

The drinks were great. The food was good. I don't know what all of the complaints were about. They installed new covers on the buffet while we were there, probably to try to curb the cold food complaints, but we never found any of the food cold, unless you took too long to sit and eat it. The beach grill (which is a pool grill, not a beach grill) was really good and was open until 1 am. We preferred to eat lunch here most days. Outdoor barbeques are held for one dinner a week and a few lunches. These were really great. There was ice cream in the buffet, but the ice cream machine was not cold enough often and you couldn't always use it. That was a letdown.

We weren't sure if we were going to use kids club. Our daughter is young and not used to having babysitters. We took her our second week and told her she could decide if she wanted to stay. She loved it! Once you register, you can drop them off for as long as you want during their open hours. So if you only want to leave them for 15 minutes you can. We brought her for three mornings and spent them on the adult side. This was a really great service.

The $250-credit they currently give you at the resort is a nice touch. We used ours for a tour (you have to book through the resort tours, not your airline). We went on the one-day private island tour. It was fabulous. Nerv's Taxi does the tour and Spencer was our guide. We cut out the rum distillery and went to Jalousie Beach instead. We had expected to do more tours and, after this one, decided against it. We had seen everything we wanted to and the only other thing we would've liked was a boat tour, which are far and few between on this end of the island. We had wanted to do the Family Pirate Adventure, but it was too hard to get to from Vieux-Fort. I would recommend this tour. We left at 8am and got back around 6pm.

We walked into Vieux-Fort one day. It was hot and I'm glad we did it, but by the time we got there, we only went to the grocery store and we were too hot to go anywhere else. We would've enjoyed it more if were just us adults.

My daughter loved the slide and I loved the lazy river. You have to be 48" to go on the slide, but little ones can go with their parents.

Calabash (Caribbean) and Silk's (Asian) were our favourite restaurants. We didn't make it to the Italian restaurant (didn't want to chance it with the mosquitos as it isn't at all enclosed).

This is a fabulous resort for children. I'm so glad we chose it. The resort appears to be constantly making improvements and I think it will get even better. I was so impressed with the staff and I was constantly being stopped by managers, and even called on the phone in the room, to see if everything was okay with our stay. Special thanks to Thadd, Petula, Dahlia, Jill, Camilla and Shanice in Coconut Walk; Cassian at the Lobby Bar; Natly and Tesha at the slides; Fatta at the pool bar; and, of course, Coco and Loco. We did occasionally tip the bartenders, the a la cartes, and cleaning staff. The few issues we required maintenance for were always resolved within minutes of calling. Entertainment was great. I felt very safe on the island and loved the people.

Here's what I didn't like: This is mostly a kid's resort and there are no bathrooms near the slides and lazy river (my 2-year-old had a hard time making it to pee and so did I).There is a bar near the stage, but it's seldom open. There should be a bar here, closer to the beach and slides (as well as a bathroom). The hours of business didn't work for us. Breakfast started at 7am, which was fine, but lunch wasn't until 12:30 (which is why we ate at the grill) and the supper buffet didn't open until 6:30.We could get a 6:00 at the a la carte. There weren't enough healthy snacks between meals (the popcorn and cotton candy got boring, and we didn't want an entire meal at the grill... there was a morning continental breakfast were we would steal bananas and apples for the afternoon). The pools didn't open until 9:00 and closed at 5:30 (although many people ignored this rule).The slide didn't open until 10:00. The bars aren't all open at the same time. When Blu Bar was open (next to the grill), it was okay, but the pool bar closes (as well as the adult side bar) around supper time and if Blu Bar is closed, you're left to walk to the lobby to get a drink. None of these things were a big enough deal to deter me recommending someone to stay here.

We had a great time but I doubt we'll be back. I'm glad we went, but I don't think I'll be able to sacrifice swimming in the ocean again on vacation. We paid about $6,500 CDN for two weeks (incl. about $900 x3 for air fare and free accommodations for our daughter because she's under 3). I definitely wouldn't pay more, but for the money, it was definitely worthwhile and I'd recommend it for any family. I also think it would've been a great place for a wedding... perfect for a large group of varying ages, and the wedding gazebo and wedding centre were beautiful.

Room Tip: There are elevators but we preferred to sacrifice view for a bottom floor room.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We just got back from a wonderful week at the Coconut for our destination wedding. We got married in the beach side gazebo & had our reception in the wedding center right next to the gazebo. The location was perfect & the food was fantastic. If you are planning a destination wedding here you will not be disappointed. Everything ran smoothly thanks to Chantal. The ladys at the spa were also wonderful with hair, nails, and make-up. I also highly recommend the steel band. They were fantastic. I wish we had booked them for more than 1 hour.

32 of our friend & family traveled with us to the Coconut & everyone had positive comments about the hotel, food, service & island. St. Lucia is absolutely beautiful! There are lots of options for things to do & see on & off-resort. The resort staff are friendly & professional. The kids club, family pool, lazy river, waterslides, cotton candy & beach grill were all a big hit with the 11 kids in our group.

The hotel is in need of a few fixes, paint & updates but they are working on it as we saw while we were staying there.

I loved that the resort was minutes from the airport after traveling 10 hours+ with kids.

I have stayed at 2 other all-inclusives (both in the Dominican) and the Coconut resort is my favorite all-inclusive resort by far. The Coconut had way better water, food, service, staff, & activities, plus the island of St. Lucia I found to be much more friendly & I felt safer than in the Dominican not to mention we paid less for this resort than the other 2 resorts.

The location is windy but it helps to moderate the heat.

Yes it is a real beach, on a real ocean & there is seaweed that washes up. The resort does remove the seaweed daily. It really was not a big deal for us at all.

There were very few bugs. The only bugs I saw were a few tiny sugar ants. We did not even use the bug spray we packed.

We took the land & sea tour (all day). It was a great way to see the island. We had a huge pod of dolphins swim with the boat which was an incredible experience. I thought the tour was a great value for the money and was glad we took it.

I was very happy we chose the Coconut resort and the island of St. Lucia. We had a wonderful week. The kids have already been asking when we are going back and we have only been back a day.

I think this is a great value famliy resort and I would go back.

Room Tip: Don't leave fruit out in your room it will attract the tiny sugar ants.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

I didn't intead on staying at Coconut Bay I actually stayed at the Rex st Lucia (which sucks) but when I missed my flight and had to stay the night I pick the closest all incl resort to airport and it was the Coconut bay which was Great I planned on staying one night but ended up staying four the rooms were nice food was good and they had much better entertainment then Rex which had none. At Coconut bay the drinks were different and fun and it's great for kids with nice water slides but the only draw back is the beach which is really rocky but at Rex it's the only good thing

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our group (consisting of 3 couples) just got back from our vacation at the Coconut Bay. I read a lot of the reviews and because it was all inclusive and looked good, we took a chance. It is less than 5 minutes from the airport which is a big plus. Most of the resorts on the island are located all north and on the West coast line. After traveling for almost 12 hours on a plane I did not want to spend another 1 1/2 hours traveling by car from the airport to a resort. I can not say enough about the food and the drink service. The rooms are very very clean and the maid service makes sure you have everything you need. The division of the property for both families with children and adults like us was simply a pleasure. We wandered over to the family side to have fun using the Lazy River and relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. My daring husband aged 71 actually went down the giant water slide 3 times and enjoyed the thrill of the high speed decent. We enjoyed dressing up for dinner and admired the 3 excellent restaurants each evening. The open snack bar even provided great choices for a quick bit and you didn't even have to leave the pool area. The only negative comment I have to make is the entertainment. Each night there is a theme for the entertainment. We arrived on a Saturday and it was Caribbean Night. The live band was great and we had a wonderful time dancing, but from then on each night's entertainment got worse. The bands are local musicians and they some how need to get better music to keep the crowds dancing. Other than that, it was a GREAT vacation. The third floor rooms were spacious, flat TV's and plenty of closet space. The ocean views were spectacular. After arriving home, I can still see the Coconut trees swaying in the breezes and wishing I was back there again.

Room Tip: Third floor ocean view is worth the money. We heard from other guests that the 4th floor was not wo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I just spend 6 night/ 7 days here May12-May 18th for our 5 year wedding anniversary. I think we got a great value for what we paid for. This is one of the cheapest all-inclusive resorts in St. Lucia. As many people have said it is not a luxury resort but a good bang for your buck. The view is beautiful from the resort of the Maria islands. The overall atmosphere here is not geared solely for romance but I would say more families and groups of people traveling together. Although there are many couples here I wouldn’t say this is a romantic resort.

Beach:
That said I was very very disappointment at the beach. This resort is on the Atlantic side not the Caribbean. The water was dirty and full of seaweed. I asked some of the staff and they said it was the time of year, was the reason for all the seaweed. The water is rough here so if you are thinking of a calm Caribbean beach with clear blue water (like I was) this is not the resort for you. If kite surfing is your thing this could be the place for you.

Pools:
There is only one adult pool and it is the smallest. All of the pools including the lazy river (which my husband and I loved) were dirty and in desperate need of a cleaning. The slides were fun and I am sure if you had kids they would love it.

Our Room:
We stayed on the Harmony side (Adults only) on the 3rd floor. The room was nice but it did smell like a little funny like outdoors. I wish they would have used cleaner with a little fresh scent or something. There were a few little bugs in our room, but I did see they were trying to keep it under control and someone was always walking around spraying for bugs. The maid service was great. They cleaned our room daily.
The noise level is terrible!! You can hear everything outside your door, people walking by and people talking. I could also hear the people above us when they walked around in their room as well.

Staff:
The staff here is amazing! They are very friendly and eager to serve you. I have to say the staff member who stood out the most to us was Small J. He works at the adult pool bar. We loved him, he was very entertaining and made sure we were happy and not lacking a drink. The staff really make this resort.

Bars:
We never found ourselves lacking for a drink or someone to offer us one. All the bartenders were great and very friendly. Although sometimes I did wonder if there was actually alcohol in my drink. The house wine and champagne was just that “house” and I did not care for them that much. My husband really liked the Piton (a local beer). We never went to the swim up pool bar for two reasons: 1 is was always crowded and 2 it was in one of the kid pool’s. I mean why would you put the only swim up pool bar in the kid pool? Okay I guess for the parents…but still there are many adults there without kids.

The restaurants:

Asian:
A little above average but not authentic tasting Asian food; more like Caribbean Asian. It was the fanciest restaurant we went to (we did not try the Caribbean restaurant as we did not see anything on the menu we wanted to eat). We enjoyed this restaurant twice on our stay.

Italian:
This was our favorite by far! The food was amazing! I loved that it was outside. The only disappointment was there isn’t really a view of anything but the pool and the area is open to a game/entertainment area where there are kids playing.

The buffet:

The breakfast was average. If you missed it after 10AM then all you get is a banana and a pastry. I don’t think you can really call that continental breakfast.

Lunch was good most of the time. They served a variety of options but nothing that “wowed” us…

Dinner: again average and nothing exciting…

Peter John’s lounge:
We liked the astrosphere here (after 8 no kids) it was quiet, romantic and intimate. There were never many people hanging out up there. Also sometimes they didn’t have music playing (kind of lame and boring).

Outdoor Grill:
Greasy but I guess it is a grill…

Entertainment:
They had a few theme nights while we were there like western and Caribbean night. The entertainment seemed geared towards kids. They had one manager’s cocktail hour while we were there. Which we actually won a 30 minute couple’s massage!

Spa:
We only went because we won the massage but I am so glad we did. Now knowing how great it was I would pay for it, although it does seem pricey for the resort. The spa was very relaxing and clean. We were able to use the sauna and steam room (for free) before our massage.

Adventure:
We did a full day tour of Soufriere. HIGHLY recommend this. We were able to see the piton mountains, volcano sulphur springs (including the mud bath) also FYI the springs are boiling hot! We had the option of going to the rainforest with the waterfalls but we were so excited to see the joulise beach we skipped that. WOW the joulise beach is BEAUTIFUL! It is located between the two pitons mountains and the water is crystal clear. You can also rent snorkeling equipment and go right off the shore. I wish we would had saved more money before our trip to do more adventures. :)

Room Tip: Stay on the highest floor for noise level reason. You can hear people above you if not.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We've just returned from a wonderful week's vacation at Coconut Bay. I travelled with my husband and two kids (13 and 14 yrs old).

The hotel is literally 3 mins from the airport and you are quickly transported via the hotel shuttle to your destination. Don't let the proximity of the airport scare you, we never saw a plane coming in for landing and would watch 4-5 flights leave each afternoon. (no bother what so ever). The staff at the resort were all great. Everyone was friendly and we didn't want for anything. Special mention needs to go out to Keenan at the Blue Bar, Marsellus (Entertainment Team) and Terry (pool team), they were great.

The resort is small and has a family feel. The kids quickly got to know the staff and we felt very comfortable when they were off doing their own thing. (The staff also knew who's parents we were!) Felt like a safe family resort.

The main buffet restaurant has good variety and we ate there most of the time. You are seated almost instantly and are always greated in a warm and friendly manner. I would also recommend the Beach Grill, it was a pleasant surprise, good food and quick and pleasant service. Give the grilled fish sandwich a try. I wasn't blown away by the Calabash Restaurant, it was ok. Silks, the asian restaurant was surprisingly good.

As for the resort itself.....ok, I'll be honest. I think that the grounds could use a little bit of up keep and it's time for the resort to get some fresh paint and make some basic repairs. There are a few cabanas on the beach, it wouldn't take much for the resort to fix the shingles and the trays around the wooden polls. Most were in need of repair. There are plenty of deck chairs, you never have to run to the beach or pool at 7am and stake out your spot but it's time to replace some of the sagging ones. Also, time for general repairs to some of the tiles in the main pool (nothing major just minor upkeep). I think another review mentioned that the swim up bar is in the kids area of the pool, can't say as I understand that one either but not a big deal you can walk up from the other side or use the bar in the lobby.

Our room was clean on arrival and cleaned each day, but again, time for a touch up. The decor could be updated, new bedspreads etc, the tv was old and the screen tricoloured because the main picture tube was blown. (not a big deal by any means but the kids watched tv in the evenings, we actually got a laugh out of it).

There was musical entertainment most nights in the main lobby and it was also quite good. The lady on the sax was very talented and I loved the creole style band. Also, seating in this area each night was not hard to come by.

As for trips...we went on the Land to Sea adventure (booked through our West Jet rep, it was $130 per person) This includes a bus ride from the hotel to Rodney Bay, you stop along the way to take pictures of Dennery Bay and Castries. The bus ride itself is a little long, take water with you when you go. You board the catamaran in Rodney Bay and sail along the shore line, stop for a quick snorkle on a small coral reef then to Soufiere where they pick up lunch and then sail over to the Pitons to eat. What a spectacular scene. The catamaran is definately the high point of this trip and something we've wanted to do for years. Take sunscreen with you whatever you do!! From there back to Soufiere back onto the bus to the botanical gardens, to the soufiere volcano, quick swim in a waterfall and then back home. Romaine was an excellent tour guide.

Would I return to Coconut Bay?.... the short answer is yes. We had a great time. Your vacation is what you make of it. At the end of the day, the food was good, weather was great, kids were happy and so were we. Don't go expecting a 5 Start resort, go expecting a beautiful island with lovely people and a warm and friendly place to stay that just needs a wee bit of TLC.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!