“Special Place” 5 of 5 stars

UK
“Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Reef Kite and Surf huts

I stayed here for two weeks. The huts are basic and cheap...exactly what I was expecting. The huts are behind a great cafe and the kite/windsurf centre.

I went for the kitesurfing and didn't find much wind (50% days)...but them's the breaks eh!! The instruction and equipment were excellent, people...food...piton beer and rum made up for the unlucky lack of wind! Would visit again :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

Reef Kite and Surf huts

We stayed here for two weeks in late winter 2008. The huts are very cheap and basic (cold water showers only) but adequate. It's a lovely position right next to an amzing beach with all the kitesurfing and windsurfing you could want. It's also right next to the airport which is slightly alarming at first but not really a problem as there are only a few flights a day. Other than that, there's not a lot around, Vieux Fort isn't really geared up for tourists and there are few places other than the onsite cafe to eat. A hire car would be good though the buses are fine as long as you come home early (before dark is best) Must say though that the café at the Reef is excellent, especially the daquiris and fish! And having free wifi there is useful too.

I would recommend the huts at the reef to anyone who is not bothered about luxury - they were a lot better than camping! But there are a few things I wished I'd known:

The noise from beach parties at the weekends was awful. Earplugs made no difference and the parties went on until 3 or 4. Fair enough, people like to party, but I just wished I'd known so we could've gone somewhere else for those nights.

The mosquito nets were in a sad state, and we got quite well bitten for the first few nights. If you have your own I'd bring it along.

We went for the windsurfing and I didn't really find it ideal for me. I am definitely still at the early stages and the sea was not as flat as I had expected, making uphauling difficult and tiring. The winds are excellent tho, lovely strongish cross-shore. And the water temperature is just lovely. I was a bit intimidated by the shorebreak and the slightly dubious safety cover. Having said that my more skilled boyfriend thought it was just right and if you can waterstart, are not a wimp like me about sometimes wanting to be rescued, and are ok with a bit of a shorebreak it's great. I wouldn't recommend it for a total beginner or novice though.

Can't comment on the kitesurfing but they all looked like they were having a ball! The guys at the hire shop are more into kite surfing than windsurfing but the windsurf gear was in pretty good condition and there was enough choice and gear to go round. The staff member who specialised in windsurfing was also v sweet and helpful though we felt the others were only really interested in the kiters.

Well I think that's pretty fair. I didn't see any reviews of this place when I was looking for places to stay and windsurf, so I hope this is useful for someone. Enjoy St Lucia!

• Stayed February 2008
r00ts, manager at The Reef Beach Huts, responded to this review, November 13, 2008
Yep, that's pretty fair indeed! Just wanted to add that we do try to warn guests ahead of time if there is a beach party next door, and will help to arrange alternative accommodation if so desired (and in that case we do not charge for that night at The Reef). Although the law says no noise after 2AM, we can only control so much. As for the mosquito nets, we always have spare ones in stock! That's generally a good rule when you're unhappy about something: mention it! 9 out of 10 times, we will be able to fix it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vieux Fort
Aupic Paradise
#3 of 6 in Vieux Fort
5.0 of 5 stars 5 reviews
St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Been to The Reef Beach Huts? Share your experiences!