“Basic cheap beach accom with wind and kite surfing” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Reef Beach Huts to your Saves list
The Reef Beach Huts
Sandy Beach, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
UK
“Basic cheap beach accom with wind and kite surfing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

Reef Kite and Surf huts

We stayed here for two weeks in late winter 2008. The huts are very cheap and basic (cold water showers only) but adequate. It's a lovely position right next to an amzing beach with all the kitesurfing and windsurfing you could want. It's also right next to the airport which is slightly alarming at first but not really a problem as there are only a few flights a day. Other than that, there's not a lot around, Vieux Fort isn't really geared up for tourists and there are few places other than the onsite cafe to eat. A hire car would be good though the buses are fine as long as you come home early (before dark is best) Must say though that the café at the Reef is excellent, especially the daquiris and fish! And having free wifi there is useful too.

I would recommend the huts at the reef to anyone who is not bothered about luxury - they were a lot better than camping! But there are a few things I wished I'd known:

The noise from beach parties at the weekends was awful. Earplugs made no difference and the parties went on until 3 or 4. Fair enough, people like to party, but I just wished I'd known so we could've gone somewhere else for those nights.

The mosquito nets were in a sad state, and we got quite well bitten for the first few nights. If you have your own I'd bring it along.

We went for the windsurfing and I didn't really find it ideal for me. I am definitely still at the early stages and the sea was not as flat as I had expected, making uphauling difficult and tiring. The winds are excellent tho, lovely strongish cross-shore. And the water temperature is just lovely. I was a bit intimidated by the shorebreak and the slightly dubious safety cover. Having said that my more skilled boyfriend thought it was just right and if you can waterstart, are not a wimp like me about sometimes wanting to be rescued, and are ok with a bit of a shorebreak it's great. I wouldn't recommend it for a total beginner or novice though.

Can't comment on the kitesurfing but they all looked like they were having a ball! The guys at the hire shop are more into kite surfing than windsurfing but the windsurf gear was in pretty good condition and there was enough choice and gear to go round. The staff member who specialised in windsurfing was also v sweet and helpful though we felt the others were only really interested in the kiters.

Well I think that's pretty fair. I didn't see any reviews of this place when I was looking for places to stay and windsurf, so I hope this is useful for someone. Enjoy St Lucia!

• Stayed February 2008
r00ts, manager at The Reef Beach Huts, responded to this review, November 13, 2008
Yep, that's pretty fair indeed! Just wanted to add that we do try to warn guests ahead of time if there is a beach party next door, and will help to arrange alternative accommodation if so desired (and in that case we do not charge for that night at The Reef). Although the law says no noise after 2AM, we can only control so much. As for the mosquito nets, we always have spare ones in stock! That's generally a good rule when you're unhappy about something: mention it! 9 out of 10 times, we will be able to fix it.

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to The Reef Beach Huts? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Reef Beach Huts

Address: Sandy Beach, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
Location: Caribbean > St. Lucia > Vieux Fort Quarter > Vieux Fort
Bar / Lounge Beach Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty lodging in Vieux Fort
Looking for a place to stay? The Reef Beach Huts offers cheap & cheerful accommodation to kiters and non-kiters alike, in rooms located within a courtyard under the sea grape trees, on the roadside of the beach cafe. The rooms are secure, measure 4x4 meters, each room has its own shower and toilet and you can get two single beds or one double (140cm wide). There is no air-conditioning, but all rooms have electric fans. There is a kettle to make hot drinks but no fridge. There is free wireless internet which usually reaches into the rooms also. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Regatta Hotels so you can book your The Reef Beach Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Reef Beach Huts Hotel Vieux Fort
The Reef Beach Huts St. Lucia/Vieux Fort

If you own or manage The Reef Beach Huts, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.