My dad and I stayed here for a week for the windsurfing and Kite surfing. The staff was wonderful, anywhere you stay that has someone who goes by the name "mama" you know you're in for a treat. The rooms are basic with the option of 1 bed or two singles attached to a bathroom with a shower and toilet. Lock boxes are located in every room for personal items. There is a ceiling fan in each room and no air conditioning. The weather was very comfortable when we were there and there really was no need for an a.c. anyhow.
The beach is beautiful with soft white sand and the water is Carribbean...no need to say more. Most of the tourist sites on the island are toward the north end so it's a very quiet beach with the exception of the occasional flight taking off from the airport and Sunday when all of the locals come to party on the beach. This was one of my favorite days because many of the locals will ride their horses up and down the beach and into the water...the local version of a pimped out Honda civic cruisin the strip with neon lights glowing underneath. We also sat on the beach and watched some guys playing a pick up game of cricket next to the water while the rest of the crew had music playing and a barbecue going about a half mile down from the Reef.
The Reef has an exceptional food and drink menu, very reasonably priced as many locals hang out here as well, with the option to sit under the shade of trees while you stare at the water and eat (oh yeah...and check your email via the wi-fi connection). Breakfast was included in the price of hotel and was enough to hold you until dinner. I couldn't tell you the number of people we met who made the Reef their last stop before going to the airport on their way out of town.
The winds are perfect for those looking to try some wind or kite surfing (mostly side shore winds with a protected bay so you won't end up in Brazil)...I suggest giving the kite a try, it takes a short time to learn the basics of the kite, you actually have a great time learning, and it's a much less physical activity than windsurfing. Anyhow, the staff is wonderful and there to help get equipment in and out of the water and can give you any training you need as well.
The owners of the Reef went out of their way to make our stay as nice as possible. With only four rooms they want to make sure their guests are happy. You can sit and talk and get to know them which makes your stay there that much more enjoyable. In my conversations with Jolien (one of the owners) I felt her deep love of the community and her sense of responsibility to the local community. This is a personal touch you don't get when you stay at mega resorts and something truly unique you don't find too often when traveling anywhere.
To sum up...you should make the Reef your hotel of choice if you can live without flat screen tv's and want a truly relaxing vacation. Great spot, I can't wait to go back!
- Also Known As:
- Reef Beach Huts Hotel
- Reef Beach Huts Hotel Vieux Fort
- The Reef Beach Huts St. Lucia/Vieux Fort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Looking for a place to stay? The Reef Beach Huts offers cheap & cheerful accommodation to kiters and non-kiters alike, in rooms located within a courtyard under the sea grape trees, on the roadside of the beach cafe. The rooms are secure, measure 4x4 meters, each room has its own shower and toilet and you can get two single beds or one double (140cm wide). There is no air-conditioning, but all rooms have electric fans. There is a kettle to make hot drinks but no fridge. There is free wireless internet which usually reaches into the rooms also. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your The Reef Beach Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.