“My Favorite place!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parador Costa del Mar

You added Parador Costa del Mar to your Saves list
Parador Costa del Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr Panoramica Rd 901, Km 5.6 | PO Box 1746, Yabucoa 00767, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yabucoa
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“My Favorite place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is one of those places that go will love. Full of peace , quiet and relaxation. A pretty big pool with an ocean view. The rooms are comfy , clean and with all of the amenities that you will need. You have to go to Palmas de Lucia to eat dinner but you will enjoy both places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Beautiful property with a stunning ocean view. Only caveat is for those Stateside- it's a liiiiitle more off the beaten path than you might think. Coming from someone who lived in PR for a year, I found myself holed up in my room the first two nights. They near by area is mostly high-speed roads, with little in the way of bars, entertainment, or restaurants.

Still, I would highly recommend this place with that caveat in mind.

Room Tip: Request ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a pre Christmas retreat on the east coast of the island. The all inclusive-familiar package was an excellent deal . It were easy to arrive, even we came from the west side of Puerto Rico . This is a slow season, so there only a few more guests the pool was already for us !! Great service from the front desk , they provide you ice ( additional charges ) and additional stuff . (ex toothpaste, Tylenol pills, etc. ) .there is only a vending machine one with water and soda and the other one for chips. housekeeping was daily, but single (clean the bathroom and the room, but there is no sheet or towel changes since check out or each 4 day stay .

Room in average size ,enough for two people , included a fridge, microwave and coffee maker.TV with basic channels. We were lucky to stay on the 2nd floor , which gave a spectacular view of the sea,romantic and relaxing .This is a small parador, only 16 rooms, I cant imaginate if if crowded . Due to the low season the restaurant was not working, so we had to drive to the other parador palmas de lucia in order to get all the meals . It is short in distance (driving ) Food taste good and reasonable portions the servers were ok , the breakfast menu is kind of limited but lunch had more options and dinner included the dessert ... yummy . Im not sure if there was wifi because I bring my own router. Nearby are town bars but we did not tried it . if you want to drive farther you can visit naguabo`s town malecon, maunabo`s town lighthouse or in ceiba town Roosevelt roads ( a navy-base ) which now is out of operations but can make recreational visit for free .

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are facing the pool, you see the ocean and the shadow of vieques island .
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We visited Costa Del Mar to celebrate our 2nd year anniversary, all-inclusive “oferta familiar” special for 2 nights on Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 28th-30th). Overall, I would rate of 4.6 out of 5, which, rounded up, means 5 stars on TripAdvisor ;) Couldn’t just give 4 stars—the room, relaxation, and service we experienced during our stay were that amazing. Our advice to you is to come here with the right expectations (after all, this IS the equivalent to a 2-star property in the US, due to the lack of facilities).

*ROOM: As recommended by other reviewers, we explicitly asked for a room with a balcony on the top floor: WOW! We spent hours just looking at the ocean from the comfort of our bed, indulging in the nature sounds, ocean waves, and the peacefulness of the resort (yay for low season).

The shower was ok size, 2 people fit comfortably (my partner being 6’1), and the toiletries were a nice touch for a parador.

Even though the furniture was dated (i.e. old TV, floral bedding, etc.), everything was in excellent condition—plus the bed was comfortable (and a good size for us two).

The room phone wasn’t working, but the reception told us they were in the process of rewiring and installing a new central phone system, so that should be good to go soon (we think).

Most importantly to most of us though, is the cleanliness: everything was SPOTLESS CLEAN, so 5 stars here.

*SURROUNDINGS/LOCATION: Even if crowded, I can’t imagine this 16-room property to get too crazy: lucky us though, there was only one more family that arrived on our last day—so, essentially, we had the entire property to ourselves for a good chunk of our stay. Talk about a romantic, relaxing retreat.

Can’t deny what other reviewers said about the BARS in the area: mostly males or locals go out to drink at night, not many dining choices except for cheap street food and mom-and-pop restaurants. These would be a lot of fun to the adventurous traveler (and those who speak Spanish!), but not so much to couples on a romantic getaway. We didn’t find this to be a problem though, as we were having such a good experience at Costa Del Mar that we had little reason to leave.

*FOOD: and speaking of which—such good food at Tropical Inns! I got to try their red snapper with native sauce, churrasco (beef skirt steak) with chimichurri sauce; while my partner had their ribs and burger. My partner thought his dishes were about average (3 out of 5), I thought mine were delicious (4.5 out of 5).

Everything was very well seasoned, which some Americans with more bland taste might think of being too salty (as I have read on some of the reviews). I have Puerto Rican family so to me everything was very good. Especially that beef skirt steak with chimichurri sauce… My favorite dish!

And DESSERT…omg, their FLANES (custards). I died and went to straight to heaven after eating their coconut flan (nice chunks of fresh coconut throughout)—even my partner, who dislikes sweets, wanted to clean my plate!

Breakfast was a different story though: while eggs were cooked to order and some fruit was included, we thought the menu was EXTREMELY limited in the mornings. Too simple to us—and the fact they wanted to charge us $1.00 to add cheese (which is NOT an option otherwise) irked us… this is the ONE thing that we really DIDN’T like about Tropical Inns.

Yes, we did have to drive a couple of minutes down the road to have all our meals at sister hotel Palmas De Lucia—we were told this was done because we were the only ones saying at Costa Del Mar. Might be a different case in high season, not sure. But we didn’t mind: this pushed us to get out of the parador (and our amazing room) and take a look at local rural life.

IF you do want to venture out for a better meal outside the property, we recommend you go to nearby town HUMACAO, to the resort Palmas Del Mar. There, you’ll find a couple of good restaurants for a romantic dinner.

*SERVICE: wow, hands-down, the best service I’ve ever had anywhere in Puerto Rico—and that’s a lot to say! It’s sad that most people on this island have no notion whatsoever of what customer service is… Until we got to the Tropical Inns.

At both properties (Palmas De Lucia and Costa Del Mar) everyone was remarkably friendly, always willing to help, always with a smile, good English. We only had one waitress that had a little bit of trouble with her English, but she truly tried her best, with a big grin, and always making sure we were ok. In the end, we figured everything out with hand signals and a fellow coworker. Great staff, truly!

LOW SEASON: best time to visit, by far. I’m sure Palmas De Lucia and Costa Del Mar get quite crowded with local families in the summer months and Christmas season. So, any time in the spring or fall will probably allow you to have a similar experience to our own.

*INTERNET: this was the first rating. We could only get Internet while sitting extremely close to our bedroom door or while out in the courtyard by the reception desk. This was a bit problematic for work, but again, pushed me to relax! However, this makes this property a big no-no for business travelers that need to be connected at all times. So my RECOMMENDATION to OWNERS? Set up Internet in the rooms! Shouldn’t be that hard…

*IN SHORT: great service, good level of English, CLEAN rooms, spectacular views, good food, PEACE and QUIET. We thought our all-inclusive package was a great deal for this area of the island (Yabucoa) and, given to the fact that we were looking for a romantic, off-the-beaten-path RETREAT, Costa Del Mar ticked all the boxes for us.

Room Tip: MUST specify you want a room on the TOP floor with a balcony and oceanview when making your reservat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here last year and had such a wonderful time we returned this year. The place is clean, and the staff is very, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The pool is very nice and is kept very clean as well. The food service is great. The neighborhood is safe and pleasant. There are very nice bars and local food joints nearby, and the locals are friendly and helpful. There is a supermarket and Walgreens drugstore in town just about a mile or two down the road. The only downside we experienced this trip was the lack of hot water at times, but this was due to the hotel being fully booked and relying on a solar water heater during a stretch of cloudy days. Taxi service is very difficult/expensive, so I recommend a rental vehicle with a GPS or a good cellphone with GPS app plus car charger for those unfamiliar with driving on the island.

Room Tip: Book early, since this place fills up quickly especially on the weekends!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at parador costa del mar and the experience was excellent, the room was very comfortable, the view was amazing, room has a small fridge, microwave, and a coffee maker, the staff was always willing to help, the place is very clean, the hotel has recycling bin around the hotel and inside the room, which is an example to follow for others hotels specially big chains of hotels. I would say that for the price (less than $100) was an excellent option. I definitely would come back.

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Well, where can I start. I was shocked of how small the room was. It feels like being in a cage. No Internet in guest rooms. Bed blankets had holes. The bathroom is dirty and needs remodeling. Outside bathrooms are dirty too. Pool needs cleaning. We didn't have hot water first day in the shower and not any hot water in the sink. The location is bad- rackless drivers, dirty streets and littered beach with street dogs and cats. It is not a safe place to stay with young children. Beware that breakfast is not included even though expedia lists this hotel includes breakfast. They treat customers like dogs. Last 2 days our room key wasn't working and front girl gave us an attitude for checking it. TV is from 100 years ago- tiny and only few channels with no TV control. Overall it was our worst vacation ever. I couldn't wait to go back home. Stay away!!! The only good thing is ocean view. You need a car to move around but be careful as here people do not respect law and traffic rules.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Parador Costa del Mar? Share your experiences!