“Inn not up to par” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Port Stanley B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Canada
“Inn not up to par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked our room through the web not directly with the hotel. I think that is maybe why we were given a room in the old part of the inn rather than one in the obviously newer extension overlooking the inner courtyard. Our room had just a view of the driveway and the building wall next door. The room had a queen and a double bed and it was definitely crowded with just room for two wing chairs, The queen bed only had a night table at one side (my husband's) consequently I had nowhere to put a glass of water or my specs and as there was no bedside lamp on my side I found it difficult to read. The double bed in the other section of the room did not have a night table at all. The bathroom was small and, as there were 3 adults in the room we felt pretty cramped. Fortunately, a friend who had stayed at the inn earlier warned me that the beds were very, very firm. As a result I took along a piece of foam which we placed under the bottom sheet. This allowed us to sleep more comfortably. I definitely suggest that the inn replace these beds. In fact, the room was "tired" and could certainly do with a facelift. Service, however, was exemplary and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the newer section of the inn. These rooms have balconys and a pleasant...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
kci_13, Manager at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
I do appreciate your taking the time to comment on our inn. Thank you for making note of our breakfast & good service. We are also noted for our lunches & dinners, although I don't believe you dined with us. In one of the guest houses we do have a room with a queen plus a single bed, so you may wish to ask for that when you come again. The disadvantage of using Booking.com is that we do not have the opportunity to explain where all of our accommodation is located. That outside guest room was already booked at the time of your booking. Your room works best for a family with children. None the less, we are constantly trying to redo the rooms. The vast majority of our guests love the firmness our custom made beds but for anyone who is accustomed to something soft, we do not meet their expectations. We do wish we could make everyone happy.

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just returned from a great one night stay with my mom. Enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the courtyard outside. Excellent service and delicious food. The inn location is perfect for exploring the shops and the inn keepers and staff are all welcoming. A charming little inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in a really lovely suite that looked out over their little courtyard. Three of us stayed in the suite and we had plenty of space. The balcony was very private and would be even moreso once the tree outside the window achieved full bloom. The shopping was fantastic and located just down the street; good for returning bags of goods. The walk to the water was pleasant and the beach is a 10. The food was excellent and the staff was very friendly. Highly recommend it and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking as some rooms and suites share the same or similar artists' names.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I do wish to thank you for taking the time to send your comments to Trip Advisor.
Needless to say we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We now have another reason for you to return. The local spa has changed ownership, completed renovations & is offering everything from facials to massage therapy to RTM. Love to have you as our guests again.
Jean
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

You won't be disappointed if you choose their lovely suite, complete with fireplace and a small porch/balcony which my husband used to have a cigar and read his Globe & Mail. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and after checking in and being given a full orientation by a very nice gentleman, we decided to explore the town and the numerous shops and pubs. We had our Anniversary dinner that evening as it was part of our package as well as breakfasts each day. Dinner was delicious, you have your choice of anything on the menu. The perch was yummy and so was the pickerel. Rooms have wifi and flat screen TV, maid service is prompt and excellent. I would recommend this place highly if you are looking for a quick getaway - 2 hours from Windsor - perfect for us and we shall return!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I stumbled over this lovely inn on a road trip from Toronto to Detroit. I couldn't fault anything, the welcome was great, food excellent and the bedroom was very comfortable. It was such a delight to find a quaint little inn with exceptional service. Thank you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just returned from another great 2 day stay along with 2 other couples with the folks at Kettle Creek Inn(Jean, Troy, Dean, Craig) They are so nice and always make us feel at home every time we visit. Great food and accomedations as usual, we can't thank them enough.

Al and Jean Burbige, Waterdown On.

Room Tip: We had a Suite( Excellent) and the others had rooms but all very nice. All in the Main Inn.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well where do I begin...my girlfriend and I went away for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) to get away from our hectic lives. We met in nursing school and are best friends. She works shift work at at Hospital and had these 2 nights off work. I'm currently on maternity leave from work and at home with a 3month old and a 2 year old. We're busy people! We had a very fun car ride up and were excited to get to the inn. When we first entered the inn, we were met by one of the innkeepers Jean. The inn wasn't busy at all-in fact we were the only guests in sight on friday afternoon. Jean met us at the front desk with a glare. She said "checking in?" we said "yes, we are". She then so rudely asked if we were mother and daughter. We were shocked. We said "no, were best friends". She then added salt to the wound by saying "REALLY?" we said "yes, really." We went up to our room to drop off our bags and felt bad about with Jean just said to us on arrival. We decided to go back downstairs and talk to her about how bad we felt. There is a 19 year age difference between the 2 of us. I am 33 and my girlfriend is 52. My girlfriend looks younger than 52 though, I'd say 45. I look about 30. It was so rude of Jean to make my girlfriend feel old on our weekend away. Her feeling were hurt understandably. I was just mad that she would say this to us and then say "really, you girls are friends??". We went downstairs to confront Jean about her comment and to tell her that we were not sure if we wanted to stay 2 nights at the inn. When we talked to Jean about how she made us feel, she was defensive. She said "I'm sorry YOU took it this way". I said I wanted to leave. Jean offered us a bottle of wine to make us stay. We agreed. We tried to find another Inn to stay at the second night but everything was full as it was a long weekend. We were staying in the "White room", which was a tiny room with 2 double beds. The beds were extremely uncomfortable. They were hard and when we took a closer look at them we realized there wasn't even a mattress there-it was a piece of foam on a box spring. How awful. This inn is not up to par with the other inn's I have stayed at in the past such as: Benmiller Inn, Bridalbane inn, etc. This is not an ontario finest inn as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kettle Creek Inn? Share your experiences!