Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woolsington, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8BZ, England   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woolsington
London, United Kingdom
“Quality Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed on business for one night. Hotel has a modern feel, is well furnished and has good facilities. Room was clean and well equipped, and although the bathroom was small it had a great shower! Restaurant food was average. Overall, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Great location and style. Rooms decorated beautifully. Just a few niggles, some worse than others.

Bathrooms are cramped. Nothing the hotel can do about this but a big bug bear as obviously trying to cram as many rooms on each floor as possible to increase profits.

Car park is also poorly designed, was dirty with litter and dust blown in. Not a great 1st impression when I arrived.

Ordered room service which came promptly but the chips I had ordered were a bit burnt. If I was in the restaurant I would have sent them back. But from my room? No couldn't be bothered.

I'd like to say the breakfast was nice but due to me locking my key card in my room, I had to go to reception to get a new one and when I returned it didn't work. Clearly as the magnetic stripe had a huge scratch through the middle of it. Luckily rather than heading back to reception I collared a passing maid who let me in. By now I was really running late but probably had time to get a quick bite.

However with hilton insisting on providing "service with a smile" I had to que for breakfast and watch as the waitress asked every guest in front of me. "Room number, tea or coffee, will you be eating alone? Orange juice? Then setting off for a couple of minutes with each guest to sit them down. After 5 minutes and only 2 guests being seated I realised that I would not have time for the breakfast I had paid for on the room rate and left, hungry and thirsty with the Golden Arches calling.

My main advice for the hotel is to speed up breakfast. The majority of people staying are on business. We have places to get to. Ask if the guest is dining alone or with friends, then start walking them to their table and ask them their order on the way. I'm sure everyone the que could walk and talk at the same time.

Otherwise happy with the big telly, good choice of channels, free wifi.

May stay again, if only to see if the hotel has taken any notice of anything I have said.

• Stayed April 2013
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Morristheblackcat, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry to read that you encountered issues during your stay with us, particularly the service you experienced at breakfast. We endeavour to provide the best standard of customer service to our guests and anticipate their individual needs, so I must apologise that we did not deliver on this occasion. I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back in future so that you can experience the high level of service that we have come to be known for.
Somewhere in the UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Probably the best hotel room I've stayed in so far. Offered warm cookie on arrival and wi-fi access code, although the web portal also allows you to sign in with room number and surname. Room well outfitted with large flatscreen TV, comfortable bed and best pillows in a hotel to date! Bathroom had a large shower with rainfall shower head and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.
Breakfast was average - to be fair it is hard to get good bacon in a buffet. However there was a large selection of pastries, fruit, cereal, yoghurt's and cold cuts.
Hotel is about 200m from the front of Newcastle airport, so well situated for those travelling by air. Surprisingly despite the close proximity, you could hardly hear the airport noise from inside the hotel.
There is also a small gym with a selection of CV equipment and some free weights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
middlesbrough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have stayed here twice this year the first time was prior to a flight to lanzarote in february. We were made very welcome when we checked in and the warm cookie on a cold night was appreciated. We made a reservation for dinner in the restaurant and had a lovely meal food and service were excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable but the noise from the heating/air conditioning was horrendous and whatever we did to try and turn it off/down it made no difference so I bareley slept. We expected breakfast the next morning to be friendly with good service like the previous night but we were disappointed. the lady on duty as we went in was extremely unpleasant and made us feel as if we had no right to be there and the service from the other staff was not much better plates were not being cleared and it was not even busy. We were asked to fill out an online survey after our stay and made the point about breakfast. We were subsequently offered a free nights stay and took up the offer in march. Again the welcome was warm we booked in the restaurant again and service was good but unfortunatley my pork was undercooked, when we pointed this out it was dealt with straight away but it put a bit of a damper on things. Again the room was noisy for the same reason as last time. However breakfast was much better with the staff being far more welcoming and friendly and the tables being cleared even though this time they were very busy. It is nearly there but not quite!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here for a night after arriving at the airport. Check-in staff very friendly. Offered free wifi codes for laptop/ipad etc and given the standard DoubleTree cookie and a welcome letter as I am a HHonors member.

Room was clean and comfortable. We were on the first floor not far from the conference rooms. I can imagine this floor to be loud if there was an event on in the conference rooms. Bathroom what you would expect from a hotel that is a year or so old.

The decor of the hotel is very modern American. THink lots of dark wood, teal, green, brown colours.

Only annoying point was that there were no plugs by the bedside tables to use for phone chargers etc.

We did use the hotel bar which was the only downside. Atmosphere was lovely but it was very dark! Lots of dark wood, dimmed lights and open fires made it too dark. It felt like you were in a dingy nightclub at points.

Check out very quick and efficient. Would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone who needs to stay at Newcastle Airport. Would stay again. Excellent.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed for one night before flying out to Dubai. This hotel is surprisingly good. Friendly reception, spotless classy rooms, decent restaurant and, if flying, it is literally one minutes walk from departures. Also, tea and coffee making in rooms, nice toiletries and a tasty hot cookie on arrival. No aircraft noise, but audible air-con in the bedroom and tight parking spaces are a slight downside. I would highly recommend it. In conjunction with valet car parking package, it was great value too.

Room Tip: As most visitors will only stay for one night, I can't really see that it matters!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Chrisr4, thank you for sharing your kind comments with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our location convenient for Newcastle Airport. Our signature DoubleTree cookie is recieved by all guests on check in by way of a warm welcome. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Windsor, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for first time - a one night stop after some visits in and around Newcastle and the Northumberland coast. No problems at all - quick, friendly, efficient check in, a room on the 3rd floor, no issues with airline noise. Room was comfortable, clean, free view but no sky sports channels. Gym is decent - great views across to the airport terminal building (!) Five main items of equipment but no concept 2 rower which is a shame. Had decent food and a pint in Fratello's bar during the evening, breakfast was good. I got a decent B&B rate of £80. Free car parking, complimentary (albeit slightly slow) wireless and easy access to all points. I suspect this is the best option for those needing to stay over before an early morning flight, the staff seem to enjoy working here are are proud of their new facility.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!