Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woolsington, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8BZ, England   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Woolsington
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

My first stay here but definitely not my last. This stay came about due to being redirected owing to bad weather. The whole experience from check in to check out was very pleasant. Service on reception was efficient and brisk and I was greeted and treated as if I stayed there every week. The room (368) more than met my needs and had electric wrap around curtains for me to play with!!
Bathroom facilities were good and all other facilities such as good Internet, kettle, heating, lighting were just right. Excellent restaurant for dinner at Fratellos with good food and a prices that were at the right level. Breakfast provided a good variety and a 04:30 start was providing a good service for an airport hotel.
Hilton have pitched this hotel perfectly as combining an airport hotel with practicality and customer satisfaction is not an easy task. Well recommended.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Philip C, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that we made your travel experience more enjoyable during this difficult weather. Our bedrooms are brand new and luxurious, and our staff make guest satisfaction their focus. I hope I can welcome you back to us very soon.

851 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Changed from a central Newcastle Hotel for an airport based hotel despite attending an event in the town centre. Took a long time to weigh up pros and cons after being tempted to stay here whilst reviewing flights to Newcastle on the British Airways website.

Check in prompt and efficient and within 5 mins of walking out of the arrivals hall at NCL. The hotel is across the carpark from Newcastle Airport. When I realised how close it was I worried a bit about airport noise but this was totally unfounded.

Hilton Gold status got room upgrade, complimentary breakfast and a drink at the bar which was quite nice. Well appointed room, having standard facilities.

Relaxed for a while before taking the Metro into town from the adjoining airport terminal building. Quick and easy to use even if the trains were dirty.

Returned to the hotel to get ready for night out and took metro back into town centre. Was armed with telephone number for a taxi firm for the return journey.

Breakfast the following morning was great with a wide variety on order. Being an airport hotel breakfast was from 4.30am to 10.30am a little too early to finish breakfast service at the weekend.

Gold card got the privileges of an extended check out (1300) when I saw that 2 flights including mine were delayed. From check out to airport lounge was again just 10 minutes including security check so definitely advantages for location.

Now here come the downsides, despite being a status members of frequent traveller schemes (Gold with Hilton Silver with BA), the booking did not qualify for any HH Points or BA Avios as it was booked via a "third party" (BAs) website. Rate was the same rate as could have booked direct via Hilton. Reception staff puzzled as they always ask people to join on check in, BA equally so as Hilton was one of their preferred partners. Indeed it was as a result of entering a Hilton/BA competition that the cookies on BAs website highligted this to me.

Whilst initially disappointed at the fact of not being awarded any points or miles the lack of customer service from Hilton Honours has been distinctly poor. Hilton Honours passed me to the Hotel,. the Hotel did not bother getting back to me to let me know what the situation was. Even when asking the Duty Manager to intervene 3 weeks later STILL nobody bothered getting back to me although an insulting amount of points was credited to my account without explanation or notifcation. Further elaboration on this was done as a gesture of goodwill.

This has resulted in all future bookings with Hilton being cancelled including the ones booked with BA as there would be no recognition of continued loyalty.

What would have otherwise been one of the best hotel stays ever with just about everything being perfect was marred by what has to be one of the worst experiences of customer care ever experienced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear KeaneJohn, Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand that you have been contacted by our general manager regarding your HHonors account and that this matter has been resolved. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Have stayed here twice now with a week between stays. Great staff, been made welcome at reception both times & check in was painless. Nice room & quality bathroom, although water pressure was not great the second time. Ate at Fratellos restaurant both times, a quite extensive menu which makes a change for someone who stays away a lot. There is also a second restaurant which gives more choice if you're staying longer. I love Italian food & though the quality & portions good. Pries are reasonable as well.
So if I needed an hotel near Newcastle Airport this one stands up well & I'd recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear tr7v8, thank you for posting your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found checking in to our hotel a pleasant experience, and that you enjoyed your meal in Fratello's restaurant. Our location makes us ideal for guests who are using the airport. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I love this hotel. An excellent hotel a short few steps outside and across to the airport. The rooms were luxurious, the beds very comfortable, the showers excellent - choice of standard and rain shower in the bathroom.
Of course there was the very welcoming cookie, handed to you at the end of check-in and then off up to the room to have it with a cuppa!
The buffet breakfast was excellent, copious amount of delicious smoked salmon! The black pudding wasn't the best I have tasted (change of brand needed) but the rest was just great. We went to a concert in town and the last metro back to the hotel was at 11pm which was fine but otherwise you would need a taxi, which could cost you as it's about 20 mins out. But I was much happier to be based here as it as it is such a lovely hotel and then it was back out right onto the motorway north again very easily next morning!
As an airport hotel for location you truly can't better it and I will recommend and sell it to all my customers when they book their holidays with me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Marisa.i, Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us. It's great to hear that you enjoy your stays here, especially our signature DoubleTree chocolate cookie. We are always endeavouring to improve the high standard of the food we serve on our extensive breakfast buffet, and your comment about the black pudding will be passed on. I would also like to thank you for recommending us to your customers, and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked a meal at Fratello's restaurant in the hotel for my girl friend's birthday on January 11th.
As I had enough Hilton Honors points we decided to stay overnight.
The meal was very enjoyable. As my girl friend has to have a gluten-free diet this can sometimes make things more difficult.However,not on this occasion thanks to Chris our waiter.
He was very helpful and even arranged for gluten-free bread to be provided.
The accommodation aspect of our stay was also very good.We had a room with bath and shower and were also provided with bath robes - a nice touch!
We stayed here before an early morning holiday flight last September as well. Our recent stay only confirmed our high opinion of the hotel and staff.

Room Tip: We had room 261 which had a bath AND shower. I believe some rooms have a shower only,but not sure wh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear BCATAH, thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us, and even more so that you found the service in our restaurant to be of the high standard that we strive for at DoubleTree. Chris has been made aware of your positive feedback. All of our staff make guest satisfaction their focus throughout all aspects of your stay. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

There simply is no excuse for getting up in the middle of the night to catch a morning flight when this superb hotel is right on the doorstep of Ncl airport. Beautifully appointed rooms, friendly efficient staff, a warm chocolate cookie when you arrive and a lovely geordie lass to welcome you!

Well done Doubletree, you've got it right! Superb breakfast too and a bargain too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Pr0fessionalC0uple, thank you for sharing your comments with us. I'm pleased that you enjoy your stays at our hotel, every guest experience is important to us. Our location makes us unrivalled for early flights from Newcastle Airport, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your DoubleTree chocolate cookie. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton the night before we cruised the Caribbean and it really set us up nicely for cruise.Lovely clean hotel and very comfortable.We went to hotel Italian restaurant and had an absolutely superb meal which was reasonably priced and the staff were very friendly.Karen and I would definetely recommend this hotel for a stopover before flying from Newcastle and also for a visit to the restaurant.

Room Tip: Higher floor was fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear saltpansjohnandkaren, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly your meal in Fratello's restaurant. I hope you had a great time on your cruise to the Caribbean and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!