“Just about perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Just about perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Thatched Cottage on 4th of January for the night. We were made to feel extremely welcome. The host was so warm and friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
The accommodation was lovely, everything was sparkling and the bed was really comfy.
We stayed for an evening meal, 'pork belly', which was 'to die for'. It was so good I'm still thinking about it now.
Our breakfast was chilled and also really delicious.
All in all a perfect 10 from us.
"Thank you" to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. We will definitely be back and can thoroughly recommend this venue if you want to leave feeling thoroughly relaxed and pampered.
Kind regards
Gill & Vince

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Had a Christmas Meal on 23rd December with the family. We had booked this in advance so when we arrived and registered we were made to feel very welcome. Drinks were served and we were given the option to have them in the bar or go straight into the dining room. We chose to stay in the reception area and were called in when they were ready to serve. Three of us had the Christmas menu and one had the daily menu, they were very flexible about that. I chose Duck but as I do not like kale I was offered red cabbage instead. It was delicious and complemented the duck very well. Every one enjoyed their food, in fact the sauce with the fish was so good my daughter used her dessert spoon to finish it off! Service was excellent, no waiting around and we did not feel as though we were being rushed. Waitress was very personable and always had a smile on her face. A good start to the festive season.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
somerset uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Me and my family of 5 went to the thatched cottage for a Sunday roast and pudding after seeing how gorgeous they looked when holding a christening venue the week before..To be fair, it tasted as good as it looked, the quality of the food was out of this world, everything had such good flavour.. the chef definitely puts his/her heart into their meals.. The roasts cost £9.95 per head, its on the steep side for a Sunday roast but you get what you pay for, It was a set menu choosing from either Somerset beef, leg of lamb, crown of turkey or pork, all accompanied by a massive home made Yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, selection of vegetables, cabbage and a gorgeous rich gravy.. I personally am a big mash fan, so i asked for a side of mash also, and waw, it was the best mash iv ever tasted, definitely king Edward potatoes.. unfortunately i don't see me returning to toby carvery no longer as it puts their meals to shame.. Pudding were £5.50 each and were again superb,myself and mum had a chocolate brownie with toffee ice cream, my husband and sister had sticky toffee pudding with a side of ice cream, and my father had a bakewell tart with raspberry ripple ice cream and blackcurrants.. All definitely got your taste buds going.. Service was excellent, couldn't do enough for you, Chris was out waiter and he was fantastic, i mean yes, if your in a hurry, its not the place to visit for a meal as we were there for 2 hours, but you definitely felt you had your money's worth, the setting was beautiful, no big lights, just dimmed with candles on each table..We all said if they did Christmas day meals, we would have booked up, but they don't, this is from a family who never go out to have a Christmas meal.. I couldn't recommend it enough.. Luckily for us, its a short drive down the road so shall be visiting again in near future..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had a Christmas meal with about 30 others on 13 December . The service was very good , Chris being very very hospitable. I am always impressed when things go smoothly for a large party. A good selection of wine and overall a very pleasurable experience. We shall be back with the family over the Christmas break

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I called in to the Thatched Cottage yesterday to meet an old friend for lunch. We chose the Thatched Cottage simply because it was conveniently situated between Frome and Street. I am so glad that we did. On entering the building we were greeted by a charming young lady called Steph with a welcoming smile. We initially mistook the Bar for Hotel Reception, which is understandable as the two double up ! Whilst we waited for our friend we had a drink and chatted to Steph who made us feel very welcome. Our meals were delicious, well presented and reasonably priced. All in all, a lunchtime very well spent. We will return !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Solihull, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had a one night stay here while on business in the area. Had booked by internet. Entering down a flight of steps from the Car Park you enter a lounge area and check in at the Bar. I was positively received and shown to my room, with an explanation of the main features of the room which was on the first floor. You receive an external door key and a security fob to access the rooms area. First impressions of the hotel were good, warm brightly decorated with pale cream walls, wooden floors and dark leather furniture.
The room was a revealation – First, the size – 10m x 8m with the bathroom being 4m x 4m plus walk in wardrobe. Most welcoming – plain walls and distressed white furniture with black and white linen and cushions on the bed. Warm honey coloured wooden floors and natural stone tiling in the bathroom with white sanitary wares.
Some neat touches – there was plentiful toiletries – enough for four guests and the toilet seat cover had a notch cut out to accommodate the cistern flush handle.
Some issues – the window is low and small meaning limited natural light and you have to stoop to get a view outside and the curtains didn’t give complete black out. The waste bin in the bathroom hadn’t been cleared before my arrival and was overflowing and the room was situated above the kitchen – up until 11 o clock there was music playing and animated talking that was clearly audible.
I ate in the restaurant, excellent lasagne. Breakfast was superb – limited cereals and juices but a choice of 4 hot meals with toast and coffee/tea – the best smoked salmon and scramble eggs I have ever had.
My score (out of 10): Location 8; Car Parking 9; Accessibility 7; Food 9; Reception/Check Out 9; Size of Room 10; Facilities in Room 9; Facilities 6; Hotel Decor 9; Service 9; Value for Money 8.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Thatched Cottage for 2 nights this weekend. The staff were all really lovely and helpfull, our room was clean, quaint and comfy . Our first night was spent relaxing in the bar beside a warm glowing fire. We had a wonderfull evening meal in the restaurant the following night and the breakfast was fantastic. We will definitely be staying here again. Thankyou for a warm welcome .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Thatched Cottage? Share your experiences!