“Bit of A Shock” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Staines, United Kingdom
“Bit of A Shock”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We went to Cannards Well because of our Inn Keeper's recommendation as having a really nice steak and food. It was Thursday late afternoon and we were hoping to have an early dinner. First off, the bar/restaurant area was empty, except for a lady who we assumed was a guest of the hotel. The manager was friendly enough, but in the menu he provided, there was no mention of steak, having set my mind on it, I was a bit disappointed. I ended up ordering a burger instead. The presentation was nice, but that was the most horrible burger I have ever eaten :(. It didn't taste anything like a beef burger. There was a prominent vinegary taste which was not pleasant at all. We paid nearly £9 for it so I gritted my teeth, chewed and swallowed. It was a painful dinner for me. The Manager was also discussing money and issues about the guest of the hotel with a man whom we presume is the owner, but it was all within our earshot. The bar was pretty much empty save for 1 or 2 people who sauntered in and was clearly a regular, There was actually a couple who walked in while we were eating and walked straight out as soon as they saw what was inside. Maybe it was the time and the day of our visit. I am hoping that our case was an isolated one. But I'm afraid first impressions lasts, and we are definitely NOT coming back for the reasons stated earlier. :(

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Broxbourne, United Kingdom
“Overpriced awful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Landlord who knows everthing except how to speak to his customers - landlady who thinks she is above everyone and to cap it all the food was AWFUL - I've eaten basic fish and chips in many places but this was the worst ever A soggy mess!!! . Save your money and go next door much better service and the food is excellent.

Visited November 2013
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great food served up with lovely presentation. Busy at weekends with most of the residents eating in.

Visited September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Yum Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Went to Cannards a couple of times on my recent visit to the UK and WOW! What a lovely experience. The Sunday carvery was spectacular with plenty of meats and fresh veggies to choose from. My second visit was for dinner, and again not at all disappointed. The T-bone steak was to die for and the pate starter was delicious. On both occasions I had superb service and very friendly bar staff, the chef even came by the table to say hello and see how our meal was. Looking forward to eating at Cannards again in the future and would recomend it to anyone!