“Pleasant spot for a break.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shepton Mallet, Shepton Mallet BA4 4PR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant spot for a break.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed overnight on a spa-break; the hotel is very attractive and in a pleasant location, service from reception staff was excellent. Our room was well appointed and reasonably spacious but could do with a refresh in things such as the TV / entertainment system. The music played all day in the hall seeped into the room which was slightly distracting.

The spa is small but never felt crowded and the staff were very friendly, the facilities all worked well and very clean, fitness room is basic but functional.

The restaurant is the only real let-down to the establishment - the food quality could not be faulted but we [and I suspect rather a lot of the guests] would have preferred a decent high-end bar menu rather than the very high-pitched menu. The biggest issue was the service, this varied hugely between the three staff on duty - the head waiter was very good, one assistant adequate and the other seemed to have only started yesterday and didn't even know how to use the till when we ordered a drink. I asked on the off-chance that there was gluten-free bread available, after some struggle to be understood she headed off but just completely ignored the question on her return - it was always speculative but an answer would have been nice, especially as on the way out I noticed a framed article from the Evening Standard [admittedly from 2007] about how great they were at catering for food allergies, including coeliac!

Overall would be happy to return but restaurant service requires attention.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear AndyA,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I was glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.
I am very sorry that your restaurant experience was not of the standard
we would aim to deliver.Customer service is very important to us and I will pass
your feedback on to the restaurant team,
I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were surprised having spent over £360 that they could not give us a bathrobe for our spa treatments! the actual spa treatments were lovely and the deluxe room was very nice. the spa area was very small for a spa hotel, the pool wasn't big enough to have a proper swim. I was glad I'd gone there with a friend rather than my husband as although the dinner was delicious and beautifully presented he would have been hungry at the end of the meal. We had hoped that the champagne we pre ordered would have been delivered to the room, but they only realised that they hadn't delivered the champagne following the breakfast the following morning when they asked if we would like it at 10 am in the morning. Overall, we had relaxing time but it was let down by poor organisation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed here for a one night spa break during February half term. The experience was everything we could have hoped for. We can never usually find anywhere quiet as we have to go away during school holidays. But with just the 28 rooms at Charlton House, you get just the right balance of plenty of places to find your own quiet corner but another guests around to ensure there was a buzz around the place. Spa and treatments were really pleasant. We stayed in Sharpham, nothing opulent but really cosy and nice view across the grounds. We had no qualms at all about the food and service. Just the right amount, great quality and waiting staff always on hand and attentive without being overbearing. Our holiday policy is never go back to the same place but this place has us tempted to break the rule.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear ChrisC,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.
Customer Service is very important to us at so I
was very pleased to see that you had such an "idyllic " Spa Break,

I am glad that you are considering breaking your no return policy
as we would be delighted to welcome you back to Charlton House,

Sakis Dinas
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Went for a night away with the girlfriend on valentines day and it couldn't of been better, just wished we'd stayed for 2 nights!

The spa was amazing and despite being small, far from busy! The rooms were great as was the food. Only thing I would point out, we went to the local area for lunch - wouldn't bother the local town is a ghost town!

Dear 428 Ben,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.
I was glad to see that you and your girlfriend had such a lovely stay
with us and I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

First impressions of this place are really positive - I received a warm friendly welcome at reception (every member of staff I spoke to was delightful) and after a swift check in was shown to my room.

At first glace it was a spectacular room with a very large bathroom.

Look beneath the surface though and all isn't quite so rosy. The lighting in the room is controlled by control panels dotted around the room, I particular liked the 'night' mode which turned a few lights on at a low level for finding your way to the bathroom. The control panels near the bed had buttons to control the bedside lights but these buttons did nothing as the bedside lights were just plugged into a normal plug socket and not the specific lighting socket. It would only take 5 minutes at most to put the correct plug on the lamp so I don't get why it wasn't done.

In the ceiling near to the door out onto the patio I noticed a cut out which appeared to house a projector screen. To the right of the patio door there was a switch which did nothing, I thought it might have been a switch to lower the projector screen or perhaps a patio light. No idea though as it didn't work.

In a cubby hole next to the door was a bunch of electronics with labels that mentioned a projector and ceiling speakers so it seems my guess about the projector screen was right. I couldn't see a projector anywhere though and the interior of the cubby hole was extremely dusty.

The bathroom was really nice, a great size and well appointed with 2 big shower heads and a big metal bath. It wasn't without fault though, with just 1 of the shower heads running at full power the shower enclosure quickly filled up with water and had I not turned the water down very low the bathroom would have flooded. The toiletries smelt nice but the bottles were small and made of very rigid plastic so it was almost impossible to get anything out of them. I gave up and used the toiletries that I had brought with me.

A gripe I have with most hotels is a lack of plug sockets near the desk. This place was no exception. There was a double socket which already had a lamp and fridge plugged in so I had to unplug them both to be able to charge my laptop and mobile phone. Internet access was very, very good.

The TV and DVD player were hidden behind a wooden door and it was a bit disappointing to find a dirt cheap Tesco own brand DVD player. The cupboard the TV and DVD player were house in was quite shallow so the DVD player moved and unplugged itself from the TV every time the door was closed.

My room was hot, incredibly hot. I eventually found the control for one of the radiators which helped but I ended up having to leave the patio door ajar during the night.

Breakfast was good, the food was really good quality but I found the portion quite meagre.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have visited Charlton House on the odd occasion around 4 times since 2010. Service back in 2010/2011 could be varied and some of the previous reception staff appeared a little grumpy and unhelpful at points.

What an improvement since then! Everything was absolutely 5 * in this hotel during our recent stay. Wonderful new reception desk team (all friendly, helpful and clearly very good at what they do), perfect breakfast with exceptional quality service and food, great, quick room service with good selection and value - can't recommend Charlton House enough! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so relaxing and we hope to seeing you again soon.

Room Tip: The Sharpham room is on the top floor and is very cosy, comfortable and unique.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Kittyomnon,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.
Customer service is paramount to us at Charlton House and I was pleased to see
that we exceeded your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us
again soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Great little break with the Wife. Free upgrade to room 22 nice and spacious. Great tasting dinner, service was polite and relaxed just what you want. Spa is small but nicely set up and never felt full. Very difficult to book treatments while staying so book early to avoid disappointment. All in all great time had by both book up and you will enjoy.

• Stayed January 2014
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Sifrombrum,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.

I was pleased to see that you found the service "relaxed and polite" this is the atmosphere we
aim to create at Charlton House .I sincerley hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Been to Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!