“Very Cramped” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground

Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eardington
Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground
You added Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground to your Saves list
Cleobury Road, Eardington, Bridgnorth WV16 5LS, England   |
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Very Cramped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We have stopped at the Half Way House before, the first time (October 2010) no problem, So we thought we would give it a go again the weekend of the Royal Wedding we parked in the spot we were told to, we were asked if we had an awning we said we would be putting out the windout and a few sun chairs out later, got sorted TV on and a few pints good local ale to watch the Wedding had a quick 40 winks when we woke up we found a caravan had parked that close that we had no chance of getting the awning out or the chairs and at £22 per night I feel we were let down.
Last time it did put me off.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Further to your comments, whilst this has appeared in the wrong listing - as it is for the campsite not the inn - I would just like to say that I, and my staff, were about all day and over the weekend I was over on the campsite many times, and had you made mention to me of any problem I could have done something about it. As I was not informed that you had a problem it is hardly fair to complain after the event, when the situation could easily have been remedied.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eccleshall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We have bought a motorhome and are trying to get the hang of it with a couple of nights away, fairly local just in case of issues. Booked a single night at £20. The site is small and they certainly squash you in. Electric hook up and fresh water was all the facilities on offer. When you consider we paid £15 for a great Caravan Club site in Moreton in the Marsh, you don't get much. Welcome was a certainly cool, but the Real Ale went down a treat and the food was good, though a limited menu. Probably 2 miles from the town of Bridgnorth, which was a little too far to walk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our campsite, I would just like to state that this is the Halfway House Inn entry which is a separate entity to the camping and caravan site. But in response to your comments - our costs are comparable to other sites in the local area, I'm sorry that you felt you had a cool reception, my staff and I always try to be a friendly and welcoming bunch! We are glad you enjoyed the Real Ale and the food, the menu is not vast as we pride ourselves on our locally sourced and home cooked range. Our shower and toilet facilities have always been available 24/7, and new for 2011 on the campsite we have our Superpitches with hardstanding, water and electric hook-up as well as a new shower/toilet block.
Worcs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

If you, like us, book late and end up at the Halfway House as you can't get anywhere else on a Bank Holiday weekend plan to get grubby cause you won't want to use the toilets and showers. The staff all looked terrified and I had an amazing fit of the giggles when I popped to the loo in the pub and saw Gordon Ransey's Nightmare programme on the tele, perhaps it was on a loop.
But I have to say, we are choosey about food and arriving late gave the menu a whirl and it was excellent. My beer was 3 years out of date and the biscuits with cheese were too stale for the local mice but starter and mains were spot on.
Get it right guys and you could be onto a winner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to place a review, although The Halfway House Inn entry here is a separate entity from the campsite - in response to your comments, I have to admit it was a rather hectic weekend, but I am surprised that you felt the staff looked terrified, I have a great team working here at the Halfway House who are friendly and capable. It does appear that the shower/toilet facilities were somewhat oversubscribed, as on most campsites on Bank Holiday Weekends facilities are often stretched due to exceptional demand, we have over the winter created on the site new stand-alone ladies, gents, and disabled toilets and showers, open 24/7, along with exterior pot washing facilities.
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

This review is based on a camping stay only.
Initially on first arrival this place looked lovely, excellent location and a ideal spot for our first camping under canvas experience. We were shown to a secluded spot and told the whole spot was ours for the whole weekend even though it had two electric hook up facilities. We pitched up, hooked up and went for a walk into Bridgnorth, which took about half an hour. Great place.
As we had gone for a walk we did not check out the showers or toilets beforehand.
Both of these facilities were awful. There was ONE toilet and ONE shower for the whole camp/caravan site. The pub toilets were also available.
The shower was filthy, grubby, mouldy with a bathmat that was old, dirty and stained. The sinks was minging, and so was the toilet. The pub toilets weren't much better, and people were having to wash their children in the handbasin due to the lack of facilities. I lifted the lid of the toilet up and saw what appearred to be blood splashs on the underneath of the seat. It makes me wonder what the toillets are like in the owners house. We were going to stay for three nights, but left after two nights and not even washing the second morning, as they were so bad. On top of this we had to move the tent across JUST IN CASE SOMEBODY ELSE CAME which they didnt of course!! I made the mistake of paying up front. Bad move, because if I hadn't I wouldn't have paid the going rate of £15 a night. It was worth about a fiver. It is such a shame because the place was packed with campers, caravanners and people using the bed and breakfast and I just cant see how anyone could give this place a good review. Spend some money on your facilities before the word spreads and you lose business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for placing a review, although this is the Halfway House Inn entry which is a separate entity to the Campsite. But in response to your comments, we feel that your potentially libellous and inaccurate review was coloured by your being asked to move your tent that was set up over two pitches. As new campers it might be a better choice to holiday away from Bank Holiday Weekends as they are always extrememly busy. Seen alongside other favourable reviews, we rest our case.
Solihull, West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Initial welcome, cold. Money appeared to be the main focus on entering reception. Shown to our pitch, but after 15 minutes had to move caravan due to being put in the incorrect pitch, which if clearly numbered would make it easier for all parties. Pitch level and clean, however no toilet block in evidence. Shower was in a spare cottage which is clearly used for storage and had clear mould visible. This, I find totally unacceptable as a little paint and care would sort out the problem. Toilets were public house toilets or in the spare cottage area. Why not build or refurbish one of the units to both a shower and toilet block as it was quite clear that the site is busy but letting itself down through owners lack of vision. Onto the public house side, whilst the beer was excellent, the inn itself is in need of refurbishment and a friendlier atmosphere as on a Saturday afternoon when I am the only person in the whole bar having a beer, there is obviously a problem. The menu needs to be more competitive and variable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, although I would like to point out that this site is for the Pub rather than the campsite. In response to your comments though, as the site is run from the Pub itself, due to a few unscrupulous people, we have found it essential to collect payment on arrival. We do let people know when they book that this is the case. You were shown which pitch to go on but unfortunatly there appeared to be some confusion over this. You will be pleased to know that, even though we have always had shower and toilet facilities available 24/7 the new facilities will be ready for Easter 2011, it contains separate ladies and gents toilets/shower as well as purpose built disabled facilities. We pride ourselves on our very popular home cooked and locally sourced menu and can only apologise if you felt if wasn't what you were wanting.
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Upon arrival we didn't receive the warmest welcome and once money was taken we were shown where to go. It really is like camping in someone's back garden - tiny. We had a pitch furthest away from the toilets which wasn't far at all however in the neighbouring residence was some sort of dog kennels. All we heard was barking all day long and there was a strong strange smell that drifted over every now and then. Despite being given rough outlines to walk to Bridgnorth we ended up getting lost as the route wasn't signposted and had to get a taxi back as the road is narrow and dangerous in the dark. We were left alone during our stay and did manage to enjoy that privacy. I don't think we will be returning there though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our campsite, I would just like to state that this is the Halfway House Inn entry which is a separate entity to the camping and caravan site. However, in response to your comments, I am surprised to hear you felt you had a less than warm welcome, my staff and I always try to be friendly and welcoming. I am sorry that the hounds disturbed you - we are in touch with the local council and kennels about this matter and hoping for early resolution on this issue. What a pity you got a little lost on your walk as it is quite a popular stroll to and from Bridgnorth, we often get people stopping in for lunch before heading back to Bridgnorth on foot. You were very wise to get a taxi if you felt unsafe, we are lucky enough to be less than 2miles from town and the local taxi services are very reasonable.
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

The halfway house is a few minutes by car from the centre of bridgnorth, it has a small campsite (about 10 tents max) and seperate facilities for caravan. facilities for campers are basic but you can live with them.
i have stayed on the campsite twice with a group of 10, we use the bar before going in to bridgnorth in the evenings, bar is small, slightly tatty and could due with a bit of a clean and decoration lager is a bit expensive (£3.10 for a fosters) have not tried the food so can not comment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the campsite, I would just like to state that this is the Halfway House Inn entry which is a separate entity to the Camping and Caravan Site. But in response to your comments; I am sorry that you were unimpressed with the bar area. It may be small but is is also packed with a large selection of drinks, including Real Ales, lager, cider an extensive wine list and over 40 whiskeys. It is full of character, being some 500years old, but this does not detract from our service.

Been to Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground? Share your experiences!