“Best steaks in town” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Poole, United Kingdom
“Best steaks in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Having been in the area once a month for the last 5 years or so, tried just about everywhere in the area to eat. By far the best steaks are to be found at Woodies where I have been well looked after by Alex & the fron of house team, and Mike the chef - who does a fantastic job.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We've been to Woodies on a number of occasions and always had a great time. The food is good, the atmosphere fun and the service faultless. My daughter always wants sprinkles and marshmallows for her milkshake and Alex the lovely manager always obliges with no extra charge. We went there recently for my son's birthday on a Sunday afternoon and although they were very busy they still found time to put the candles in our cake and bring it to our table for a round of Happy Birthday. It's in a funny no-man's-land spot on a main road but it's really worth the visit.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A Dogs Dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Positives;

The man in there was a nice bloke.

Negatives;

The place was dead and there was zero atmosphere.
The burger was poor quality, burnt and looked like it had been cooked on a bunsen burner.
Onion rings and chips definitely were not home made. Wasn't cheap and reminded me of Iceland. would rather have gone to Mc Donalds.

Hopefully they can turn it around because serving food like that I give them numbered days.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“A nice bit of retro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great burgers, beautifully presented in 50s styling. The service levels are not quite up to the all American experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Croydon
“THE MANAGER IS SO RUDE AND MADE ME CRY! NOT A FAMILY FRIENDLY RESTAURANT!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have been to this restaurant a number of times and always had a nice time - maybe we were just lucky enough to have gone every time that the manager Alex wasn't working! He is rude and needs serious customer service training!

We arrived at Woodies for mine and my step-daughters birthday meal. There was me, my husband, 2 step-children (13 and 15) and our 5 month old baby. As soon as Alex saw the pram we could tell he didn't want us there. He made a fuss about our booking-trying to find it in the book and questioning us as to who took the booking, then asking his staff who took the booking - this was 6.30 on a wednesday night in a practically empty restaurant!

I then said that we had requested to sit in a certain area of the restaurant - we have always sat there as I am breast feeding and it means we are tucked away where no-one can see us. He told us that if we sat there, he would get complaints and if my baby cried we would have to leave. I was FURIOUS! It really upset me and when my husband confronted him, instead of trying to calm the situation, he argued back. The only reason we did not leave was because we didn't want to upset my step-daughter on her birthday.

He then had the audacity to add a 10% service charge to the bill! We did not pay the service charge and I certainly won't be going back! From reading the other reviews, it would seem that we are not alone on being the receiving end of his bad attitude! Had he explained that it was an 'adult' area and given us an alternative table, then there would have been no issue (although still seems odd having an adult area in an "american diner" restaurant in Portslade!).

As it was, as always, my baby was as good as gold and didn't make a sound!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere