“Great hostel - pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 stars

St Christopher's Inn Brighton
10-12 Grand Junction Road | at the Palace Hotel, Hove BN1 1NG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Hove
York, United Kingdom
“Great hostel - pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at St Christophers with my girlfriend over Brighton Pride weekend. We had a private double room and were expecting a small room with a double bed and shower room. Instead we got a huge room with a fantastic view, tea and coffee making facilities, a TV/DVD, a good sized bathroom with a shower cubicle and everything was clean and pretty well cared for.
We had a small hiccup with the check in but the amazing, friendly staff solved it quickly and we were very satisfied.

We had no problems with the noise (granted we were on the top floor), but liked the bar atmosphere - the choice of drinks and discounts we received as a guest were great. We met some lovely people, as you'd expect from a hostel in such a friendly town!

I highly recommend this hostel - though I cannot comment on the normal dorm rooms - and look forward to staying in other branches in the future.

Room Tip: I think higher floors are better if you find sleep difficult - I think the lower rooms would get too...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed there for three nights 24th Aug to 27th Aug.
No bed bug bites at all!
Staff were all really lovely and helpful.
Food was very good and came really quickly!
They gave you vouchers when you checked in as well for 25% off food, and BOGOF drinks.

Only problem i had, was the shower door was a bit dodgy, other than that really enjoyed my stay.

Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at St Christophers on the 17th Aug 2012 for a weekend for a hen do. I understand that it is a hostel but that doesnt mean basic cleaning standards can be avoided! I have come home with bed bug bites! and so have my room mates! (the room also looked nothing like the pictures). The service in the bar downstairs was also extreemly lacking, we waited an hour for breakfast and when it didnt arrive we asked for a refund only to have our money thrown across the bar at us. The location is good....on the front and near to livey pubs and clubs etc but there will be no chance of me staying here again.....I would rather pay a little bit more and have a clean bug free room than come home bitten to death!

Room Tip: Dont stay at St Christophers in Brighton!!!!!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights this month (August 2012) for a break away. We chose this hostel as we have stayed in the St Christopher's Inns around Europe and were impressed. This certain does not come up to the groups standard.

This place is dirty to be point of being filthy. The bedrooms are all outdated and poorly appointed. Beds semi broken, curtains that don't close and look as though they have been hanging for years. The bathroom to be fair was fairly sell appointed with a good shower and shampoo etc was provided.

My mates and I have left with bites all overus, and after comparing the bites with photos on the Internet they a bedbug bites!! This does not surprise me at all as going to the general cleanliness of the hostel I doubt they clean the beds and employ preventative measures.

Custome service from checking in to leaving was well below par. I felt sorry for some of the international guests as this is a poor portrail of the British. One girl behind the bar has the attitude akin to a rottweiler. unhelpful, unfriendly and incapable of providing a decent service.

Overall for the money we paid, I would rather check-in at a travel lodge for there abouts the same price. Never again.

I've stayed in many hostels, in many cities and this is a disgrace. If the management take one thing away from this review - sort your cleaning out and sort your staff out. This could be an amazing place if looked after with pride!!!

• Stayed August 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here on the 17th August 2012 for the weekend. The bar staff were rude and in capable of doing simple things. It took nearly an hour to make a breakfast, then when asked for a refund my money was thrown across the counter at me. Not only that, I came home to find I have been bitten all over by bed bugs along with my room mates. Although its a good location and lively, I would not stay here again and if you want to remain clean and un infected from bed bugs, book elsewhere! P.s I am a travel agent, who has lived in hostel's for over a year throughout Australia so my expectations are not high!

Room Tip: Check reviews and take the majority vote when booking rooms
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here over a weekend at short notice while my mates (who'd booked months ago) were based in a plush hotel nearby. You can guess who had more fun :-) If you want a relaxing weekend by the seaside, this isn't the best place to go. If you want to meet people, make new friends, and have a great base for going out in town, there's probably nowhere better! The hostel's cheap & cheerful, but no problems with the rooms - perfectly decent beds, en-suite bathrooms etc - there was a slight mix-up with bookings but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The ground floor is a bar that gets pretty active in the evenings, the basement is a nice little rock club too! Obviously not ideal if you want to go to sleep early, bear that in mind. As for the location, it's a few minutes walk from Brighton Pier, an easy walk inland with restaurants and things to do, and about 15mins walk from the station. So: great for party weekends, brilliant location, don't expect to get too much sleep. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with 7 friends for a long weekend and thought it was great!

It is so close to the pier, a short walk into the main town and comfortable and clean.

Our room was a good size with ensuite which was clean. Even though the hostel in above a bar and a night club we didn't find the noise a problem and we were on the 1st floor with windows open. It's not quiet but it certainly was not loud.

Only reason it did not score full marks was that our door lock was broken and we had to keep being let in constantly. There was only 2 working plug sockets in the whole room.

Aside from that I would stay here again and think for the price you pay it's great value for money.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to St Christopher's Inn Brighton? Share your experiences!