“Two great turnarounds....” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Hove
“Two great turnarounds....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Just popped in for a bite to kill some time... Knew this place as the Kendal and this was the first time I'd been in since the turnaround... What a great job they've done! Open, light and very relaxing. Nice garden and good outside seating in a very low passing traffic area.

Both myself and my girlfriend ordered the pulled pork baguette, which seemed good value at £6.50 with chips and salad. I would have preferred the option of a wholemeal/granary but this was not offered so when it came it was on white... no matter.... BUT.... it did have coleslaw in it... This can be a MAJOR problem for me as mayonnaise makes me literally sick. It is also my pet hate that places assume you want mayo without mentioning it on their menu's and immediately gets my heckles up. So I sent it back with an explanation and tried to stay calm (It really is my pet hate!) The staff couldn't have handled it better. They were apologetic, accepted my reasoning without quibble and got me a fresh one as soon as they could. The pork was very good, but the homemade rustic chips were excellent! Chunky and cooked perfectly. Very good indeed and very good value!

I will definitely re-visit The George Payne. What a great place for a relaxing lunch where the staff are friendly and the food is great and reasonably priced!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very Welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've just moved to the area and very pleased that this pub is my local. Lovely staff, great atmosphere and good food/drinks.

“Very impressive....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The atmosphere in this pub was very welcoming and warm. The service at the bar was friendly and the food was outstanding!! The nut, seed and carrot roast was amazing and very flavoursome!! Lack of a parsnip was the only negative :(?

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely local and worth a special trip too! ;)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We visit the GP regularly and although it is our closest and local pub it is a great place worth a special trip! As one reviewer has mentioned it is also v close to the Aldrington station, around £2.50 return from Brighton. Easy trip w kids and no need for parking/driving.
The staff are lovely v friendly and helpful and it has a relaxed feel with great refurb. This place could not have seen a more major turnaround from the Kendal pub it previously was, and for this has been recognised recently as Best Turnaround pub in the UK!
It really deserves this. It is a welcoming place great for families (particularly small children as there is a decent and interesting play area) with a community feel, also good food quality drinks ales etc and on this visit I spotted an extensive port and cheese menu which we will enjoy tasting in the autumn. Well done GP!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dili
“We Keep Going Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Checked out this pub, tucked away in Poets Corner, as quite a few friends have raved about it. We took our little girl as particular mention was for the play area out in the back garden. I'm so glad we did. The play area is really fun and was full of kids enjoying themselves. The staff are super friendly and the range of beers and ciders is fantastic. Then there's the food. Absolutely superb. It was so good we went the very next day despite living a mile away. The specials board had changed from the evening before and had a BBQ platter which I ordered. The portion was huge but it was so nice I couldn't help but eat the lot. There is plenty of areas of the pub where you don't have to be near the playing kids so it really does cater for everyone. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food