“Disappointing stay” 2 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Princes Marine Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   153 Kingsway, Hove BN3 4GR, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hove
Crediton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed in Best WesternHotels throughout the world and this one did not come up to scratch. The room was spacious and clean but the bathroom did not come up to the required standard. The soap dish still had remnants of soup on it all the time during our stay and the watermarks around the loo needed attention. The first morning at breakfast we ordered fried bread with our breakfast and it was beautifully done but when requested the next morning we were told the chef was busy so we couldn't have any!!! At night the rooms were noisy and we didn't appreciate laying in bed and listening to next door using the bathroom.
We were very disappointed with our visit, the one redeeming feature was the helpfulness of the majority of the staff. But we shall not be returning.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor at the back and apart from noises within the hotel it was fairly quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jon006, Manager at BEST WESTERN Princes Marine Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff.

You did mention fried bread on the first morning, we do try accommodate our guests requests when possible its unfortunate the chef was busy on the second morning so did not have time to make the fried bread, this is not on the menu I must add.

Regarding the bathrooms, I have been told by local hotel managers that our bathrooms are of an average standard for Brighton however i'm happy to say we are currently have a £200.000 program updating all our bathrooms and hope to be finished in the coming months.

Should you return to the hotel please do speak to me personally and I will make sure you get a new bathroom.

Regards,

Jonathan Ailion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Meriden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a business trip and found the inadequate parking facilities after a long journey frustrating. The hotel itself is looking a bit tired and could do with a refurbishment. The room was comfortable enough and as I booked full board I ate in the restaurant both evenings. The meal portions were ridiculously large, so much so that I couldn't attempt dessert, but to be frank, I would have prepared better quality rather than quantity. The food served was average and when I ordered a rare steak it was closer to medium or medium to well done, but I didn't complain at the time.
Overall, the price was reasonable but I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel if I were planning a leisure break in Brighton.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed five days in September for a Conference down the road in Brighton. I found the hotel generally OK, it is the location that might raise a question mark.

First the positives - polite, business like staff; good sized, quiet, clean and tidy room; free car park on site but a mid afternoon arrival is more likely to get you a space than an evening arrival; free wi-fi worked fine; used restaurant for breakfast only - fine except for the first day when there was an inordinate delay because of twenty school kids on a rugby trip having breakfast.

The main downside to think about is the location, particularly if Brighton is the main purpose of your stay. It's 40 minutes walk - it's a nice walk along the front when it's sunny, but it's a bit of a trek both way. Plenty of buses nearby and reception will provide a local bus map.

Room Tip: Quiet at the back; fifth floor is used for wedding receptions and parties so stay on the lower floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My family and I stayed for 2 nights on September 8 & 9. Although it is a bit out of the way from Brighton, it is a good hotel ( a lot better than the hotels in Eastbourne) The walk to town was a pleasant walk along the beach which took around 30 minutes to our favorite restaurants (Kanok Thai & Binari - see reviews). Our family room was large and could have easily fitted another 2 people in. Breakfast was hot and yummy. As the hotel had car parking facilities this saved us a lot of time as well. Staff were friendly.
Lovely town and hotel and will stay here if I come to Brighton again.

Room Tip: Choose a family room for a party of 3 or more
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a tricky review to write! The staff were attentive without being obtrusive, friendly and provided a good efficient service. The room was clean and comfortable, well furnished and quite spacious. The bar was pleasant and the food good and reasonable value. The location is great, and the building lovely inside. It had just about everything going for it but I couldn't escape the feeling that something was lacking in the atmosphere, nothing I can say wasn't right, but it was just that a very good hotel could have been a great one. That said I'd happily stay again and will next time I have a need to be in Brighton!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Had a room-only night here (so can't comment on food), and although we only really used it as a place to sleep, we would recommend. Good location, fairly quiet, and with a large, comfortable, clean rooms, with some decent deals available online - what more can you ask for?

On-site parking was also a very good bonus - I'd recommend you park there early though and leave the car there, however, as the car park is first come first served, and was full in the evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

How this hotel ever received an award from TripAdvisor is beyond me. We were looking for a restful weekend but it was destroyed by the incompetence of the owner, the feebleness of the manager and the lack of common sense by the reception staff. We were placed on the 4th floor, on the 5th floor is the hotel's function room. We returned to our room at 10.30pm but were subjected to booming music and feet thumping above our heads until midnight - then when the function finisied the clearing up inclduing scraping, more thumping and banging until nearly 3.00am.
When the duty manager was in our room listtening the rumpus and we asked why we weren't put on a lower floor he told us that weddings book in quite quickly - so he was implying that when we booked in on the Friday afternoon they didn't know there was a function on the Saturday!
When the owner telephoned after we sent a written complaint - he told me that most people stay out late so "don't care" - if that is the case then the reception staff should be trained to ask if a late night function would be a problem and if so select a different floor for guests who are there for a restful weekend. The owner did give us a tiny amount of money back, but that cannot compensate for a lack of a night's sleep. If there is anything good in this hotel this lack of total consideration for guests overshadows all else.

Room Tip: Do not have a room on the 4th floor unless you have in writing prior to booking that there isn't...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jon006, Manager at BEST WESTERN Princes Marine Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the hotel, I do oppologise on behalf of the hotel for not commucating to you on check in that there would be a function on until 12am on the Saturday night, I know guests were informed who checked in on saturday but got over looked on friday check in.

I must inform you its not the norm for the DJ to be packing his stuff up in the early hours of the morning, our night porter did have strong words with him I believe about this. Generally the room is cleared shortly after 12am, in this case the DJ had to wait for a lift which arrived a lot later than planned.

KInd Regards,
Jonathan Ailion

Been to BEST WESTERN Princes Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!