“Very disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alcove

Alcove
1-3 Buckingham Place, Hove BN3 1AU, England (Formerly The Medicine Chest)
01273 770002
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 200 Restaurants in Hove
Cuisines: French, Continental, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Sam's of Sevendials is a family-owned bistro in the heart of Brighton's Seven Dials - just minutes from both the station and the seafront. Formally Sevendials Restaurant it now has a fresh new look and more relaxed vibe. Set in a former Lloyd's bank building, the restaurant's interior is impressive and features a newly fitted bar area and many black board specials. With a variety of seating areas Sam's is perfect for business lunches, family celebrations, dates and birthday parties. Sam's award-winning British menu includes favourites such as the salad of pork belly in an Oriental marinade of white radishes and spring onions; the risotto of smoked salmon and chives with seared scallops and coral butter; and the decadent Vairhona chocolate fondant with rum and raisin ice cream. The restaurant also boasts a private dining room, impressive global wine list available by the glass, carafe and bottle and a large South facing terrace open in the Summer months.
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We used this restaurant last year at the other location, we were the only two eating but the food was delicious and service good. The cocktail bar was downstairs and no atmosphere but fab drinks. We were very excited to see that they had moved to a new destination. There have been a few generations of restaurants at this venue and we tried all and never went again so our hopes were very high! We went with friends and were disappointed. The chairs etc are still the same, hard wooden ones not suitable for what was classified as "fine dining". There is no area for drinks beforehand and we were shown to a table right on top of other people but chose to sit elsewhere. It was cold inside, we ordered our drinks and found the "mixologist" as he called himself very condescending!! I am an aid margarita drinker and know what I like and do not expect to be lectured and what he regards as the "correct" way to make one. I received the margarita in a very small martini glass with ice and refused to pay £7 for 4 sips, he offered it free which was not the point. It was good and I ordered another one but to be put into a tumbler with ice. He maintained it was the same size but I can assure you it was not, it was stronger and more liquid but worth the £7.

They were busy dashing around which was not relaxing and the barman was obviously miffed with our complaint. The dinner was a long time coming and they kept offering us drinks etc. When it came it was for £30 one piece of steak, 2 slices of potato and a handful of green beans. The £30 included an item "granite" a sorbet by any other name and we found the whole thing very expensive and not worth money for food or ambience.

To use the toilet one goes downstairs and it was absolutely freezing down there also not a very welcoming experience. Why not heat downstairs!

Unfortunately for us another unusable restaurant at seven dials and will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Brighton
“Nice food but so chilly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a lovely meal here at the weekend but one big complaint was the temperature of the restaurant - so cold, it was hard to enjoy our meal. Other than that the food was very good, and the service too.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Really helpful, perfect private dining venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I organised a Hen Do for 15 on Saturday night. The restaurant could not have been more helpful. They offered me the private dining area (The Vault) and let us decorate the room as we wished. They provided a music system and our own staff member who was more than happy to runaround getting cocktails for us. Prior to the event they made sure that they had all of our names so that they could guarantee the right person got the right meals. And their set menu seemed very good value. The icing on the cake was that the food was delicious.

At the end of the evening they were happy for us to pay a mixture of card and cash payment even though we had said we would all pay cash and even made sure we all got into taxis safely at the end of the evening.

I am sure they will do really well in their new location and all the hens wish them luck.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“tread with care”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Following a great dinner (see my earlier review) I booked Alcove for 2 events- my husband's 50th birthday party and a company Christmas lunch. I paid a healthy deposit for both. However following their 'sudden' departure from Brunswick Street East, 10 days before the party, I was left with demands for full payment for the party but no venue.

I was made lots of promises but trust was broken. I have been promised my deposit back for both events but it seems I will have to take legal action to reclaim them.

My guess would be that cash is a major problem for them.. on no occasion would I recommend anyone pay them money in advance.

“'Interesting' evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Came here with my husband on Saturday as we'd booked a table via table pouncer and had a 50% discount. We were pleased to finally see a new restaurant open up on the premises of our favourite restaurant in the 7 Dials, Sam's, which we thought would be a hard act to follow, but with a set menu priced at £30 for 2 courses and £35 for 3, we came in expecting a fine dining experience.
As we'd arrived a little early we decided to opt for a pre dinner cocktail - although rather small the cocktails were very nice and my husband was especially pleased with his which was made with some kind of mysterious smoked syrup!
When we sat down for our meal we noticed how chilly it was in the restaurant - in spite of the gale force winds outside, the management had opted to keep the heating off and didn't even seem to take the hint when they saw me get my scarf from the cloakroom - however when the food arrived it was delicious and we both agreed that the standard was equal if not better than that of its predecessor.
We had just finished eating our delicious pud when the waiter came over to inform us that the card machine wasn't working and they would only be able to accept cash and my husband had to face the elements and find a cashpoint. Since there is no longer an ATM at the now defunct coop, he had to walk to the post office - admittedly not that far but not much fun in that horrible weather! When he got back we witnessed a couple on a table nearby who seemed less willing to take the cash option, to put it mildly... The end point of this was that the couple were asked to leave the restaurant.
Overall, excellent food but probably something to learn about customer service!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere