“Intellegent cooking delivered with passion!” 5 of 5 stars

42 Western Road, Hove BN3 1JD, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Graze is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 190 restaurants in Hove
Cuisines: European, Vegetarian, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A short distance from the impressive Brunswick Square, in the heart of Hove's famous Regency district, the award-winning Graze Restaurant is a food venue of considerable reputation which appeals equally to locals and visitors to Brighton.The lavish Brighton Pavilion inspired interior makes for a sophisticated fine dining experience in which to enjoy the culinary magic of gifted Head Chef Will Stanyer. To experience his seven course tasting menus, for which Graze is renowned, alongside the inspired wine flights or to eat from the Modern British three course set menu is to share in a passion for flavours and an indulgence in the aesthetic pleasure of dining.Graze is ideally situated just a short walk into Hove and just a pebbles throw away from the sea and central Brighton. So named as diners 'graze' the tasting menus, Graze Restaurant is now in its 5th year, holds 2 AA rosettes and is rated as one of the top restaurants in East Sussex by the Which? 'Good Food Guide 2011'.
Hove, England, United Kingdom
“Intellegent cooking delivered with passion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Yesterday was my first visit to Graze restaurant on a windswept and rainy Sunday night. As soon as we walked through the door we had a warm welcome and were seated in a cosy but chic dining room. All four of us opted for the 7 course tasting menu with selected wines to accompany each dish. What a fantastic choice this was!

Each dish was served with much thought and care over presentation. The ingredients were incredibly fresh and the seasoning of each morsel was spot on. There was no need for salt and pepper on the table.

Interesting ingredients paired in unusual and amusing combinations, a delight to the diner. Food that makes you think!! Not since my visit to Noma last year have I had such intellectual cuisine.

I will be heading back there for the Al a Carte menu sometime soon. But sssshhhhh don't tell too many people!

Graze is small and intimate, ideal for small groups and couples. Don't expect to be rushed as food this good should be savored.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GrazerSussex, Owner at Graze, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Jo Go,

Wow, Noma, that’s praise indeed. Many thanks for those incredibly kind words, we’re trying our best. As everything is cooked from scratch, our food is most certainly not ‘fast’; thank you for being so relaxed and positive about what we’re trying to do at Graze. We look forward to your return.

Regards, Kate - Owner, Graze

80% Recommend
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A modern menu, regency deco makes for a lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

After having a look at the menu online and reading some reviews, I took my parents there to celebrate my mum's 65th.....I was wondering where to go, due to their high gastronomic standards (they have been in so many Michelin star restaurants, mainly in Spain and France. My mum as well, is an excellent cook so the evening was successful in every way. What we ordered was absolutely delicious, the wine list quite good, good selection of wines like the spanish Albarino.....The waiting staff absolutely attentive and very friendly, they made us feel at home.
I will go back very soon

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GrazerSussex, Owner at Graze, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Laura,

Great news! We’ll look to having you back very soon. Thanks for coming along to Graze and for your kind words.

Regards, Kate
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Mixed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Some of the food was outstanding - the venison, in particular was the best I have ever eaten, and with rich and delicious gravy. The Yorkshire pudding was poor, however, burnt on the top and overly claggy inside. I wish I'd known the 3 courses were going to be so spread out (over 3 hours) as I would have eaten more before I came. There was a long wait between courses and portions were small, though I acknowledge I do have a healthy appetite. Overall the experience was mediocre, I wouldn't come again and I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
GrazerSussex, Owner at Graze, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Babs T,

It’s a shame that, on balance, you would prefer not to return to Graze. Our menu constantly changes to reflect the season, so there’s often new, outstanding dishes to try on both our a la carte and tasting menus. (Our Sunday Roast changes too of course).

Regarding the delivery times, I am a little baffled on this as your party of 24 was booked in at 6.30pm and I understand the order went into the kitchen a little before 7.30pm. Moreover my chef tells me that he was home by 10pm (which means he must have finished serving everything about 9pm) so it turns out we served four courses (three plus a complimentary amuse bouche) in about an hour and a half. I therefore find it odd that it felt so much longer. . I do hope you reconsider and return to Graze in the future.I am glad to say that I heard from Marc, ( the birthday boy), on the Monday morning saying that he had a lovely evening.

Regards, Kate
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Top tasting menu without too much pretension”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Loved the downstairs dining room. Waitress was really helpful throughout the different courses. Pleasant atmosphere too.

Good value and worth going for the wine match for an extra £35. Only £50 for the 7 course (I think) seasonal tasting menu. There is a 'main' starter, main and desert with other dishes to taste and fill the gap as the 'mains' aren't big.

From the lobster consommé served as a large shot to the final desert, all the food was amazing. Been put off by tasting menus being mainly about image or bizarreness but this was different. The flavours were incredible and matched really well with the wines. They are a bit flexible if you're not a fan of some of the wine which is great.

A chance to have expertly cooked food as a tasting menu in a relaxed environment at a decent price. Too good to miss. Definitely going back when the next seasonal tasting menu is on.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GrazerSussex, Owner at Graze, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Gwyn J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such upbeat notes. At Graze, we’re simply trying to do something a bit different and, hopefully, exciting. When we read a review that supports our vision of restaurant food, it’s reassuring and gratifying.

We sincerely hope you’ll return and continue to enjoy what we’re doing at Graze.

Thanks again, Kate
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Superb Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went to Graze on Tuesday night with our dining club. Great food, lovely atmosphere & very professional staff. We will definitely be back!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GrazerSussex, Owner at Graze, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Ian T,

Thank you for those words of commendation, we very much appreciate it.

Best regards, Kate