“Lovely place to eat and drink.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of THE SAXON INN

THE SAXON INN
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Child Okeford
THE SAXON INN
You added THE SAXON INN to your Saves list
Gold Hill, DT11 8HD, Child Okeford, Blandford Forum DT11 8HD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Child Okeford
Hazelbury bryan
“Lovely place to eat and drink.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I came for dinner with my friend and we had an amazing evening.
There was a lovely atmosphere with regulars and people eating.
We had a lovely dinner and the cheesecake after was delicious and all the food was made in house which I love.
I will definitely be coming back as the service was friendly and welcoming and we had a lovely time.

• Stayed March 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Such a lovely traditional country pub. A varied selection of fine real ales and an enticing menu keeps you coming back for more!
I recently enjoyed a fantastic meal at The Saxon Inn, which was prepared to my liking (I'm a fussy eater!) but nothing can contest the AMAZING desserts on offer. Chef's homemade cheesecakes really are something to die for! I chose the white chocolate and cookie dough cheese cake and it was SUPERB! It's obvious Chef takes the job very seriously. The care and attention is transferred from plate to tastebuds!

The staff were very welcoming to myself and my friends and made our evening a pleasant stay.

We will be back!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Saxon very kindly organised the Wake for my Godmother and we were all delighted by how well it was managed and the attention to detail. The food and service were very impressive and helped to make the memory of our beloved friend all the more special. Thank you, Nicola.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Milton Abbas, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Have visited this pub on several occasions and decided to try their Christmas Menu with a couple of relations. Could not have been more pleased. The food was excellant and good value, the staff were attentive and friendly, I asked for my Hake to be served with salad and not spinach & cranberries, no problem. The salad was plentiful as were the variety of well cooked vegetables. The home made cheesecake was to die for!! All in all was a very enjoyable experience. Would definately recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ashford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a lovely, very tastefully decorated traditional Inn, beautifully modernised. One would have to search very hard to find anywhere better. Hidden away, but just off the village road, it is well signposted. We were welcomed warmly by Helen after our long five hour journey. The property is lovely, and we were delighted with our spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated, very well furnished room and the en-suite bathroom with corner bath and shower and available toiletries. Soon after when we went down to the bar; my husband was extremely pleased to find the landlord had an excellent selection of real ales, whilst I really appreciated a choice of gins for my preferred tipple and good reasonable choice of fine wines. My husband very much enjoyed his steak meal, and I was delighted with my very fresh, really delicious, well presented brie and apple salad. There is a charming selection of paintings, prints and photographs throughout the property, by at least one very talented artist. I noted that Helen obviously has a 'great eye' for fine art and confessed to dabbling in art herself. I was delighted that my husband had found the 'Saxon Inn' for a meal on a previous return visit to his home county and suggested that we might stay there. We have already booked a return visit!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

When we finally found the Inn it proved to be a gem worth finding. It was located in a small village and not easily visible from the road. The staff proved to be most welcoming, the room comfortable with plenty of drawer and hanging space for clothes. Most rooms have showers, ours however did have a temperamental shower which was over the bath. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided in the bedroom. Helen the owner was an excellent and friendly hostess. There were real ales on offer but unfortunately a couple of the pumps were not working as they should and therefore there was not a full compliment of beer on offer. Breakfast was tasty with a combination of rustic and sliced bread. Homemade jam and shop bought were on offer, along with cereal, fruit juice and locally sourced bacon and sausages. Eggs were free range. Evening meals were available until 9.00pm and there were homemade options such as steak pie and home cured ham and for dessert there were such delicacies as crumble with seasonal fruits. Other options were available but were not necessarily home made. Parking can be a nightmare as there didn't seem to be enough as there is only a small car park and this is a popular pub, restaurant and inn.

Room Tip: Room 3 only has a bath with a shower attachment. I would choose one of the other rooms next time.