“Amazing price, great property, tolerable rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Otel Urhay
Yusuf Pasa Mah. Saray Onu Cad. 916 Sok., Sanliurfa, Turkey   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Sanliurfa B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Amazing price, great property, tolerable rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

70 TL a night! The house dates from the 1700s and has a number of really lovely common spaces. Great wifi signal throughout. Çay was regularly offered to us. We also really loved the books in the front lobby. They even brought us a large fruit plate our first night. We stayed two nights. The water was delightfully hot, even for long showers. The room was very clean. Tattered and dated here and there. We only saw rooms with twin beds. Definitely ask for a courtyard room. The one we had facing the street was a little loud and bright. Old plumbing without traps mean occasional unpleasant odors, but the ac unit blew them out in no time. Location is good and free private parking huge plus.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
North Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rooms are adequately clean, but you will definitely not 'feel' clean for your duration here. The washroom is very typical for an inexpensive hostel in South Asia or the Middle East, not quite what you would expect in Turkey, but then again it is close to the Syria border.

The fact that I was given two twin beds for my wife and I is a little ridiculous.

The staff are nice and friendly, and the location is great. This place is better suited for a bunch of friends travelling or a long backpacker. I would not suggest it for a couple, such as us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed with friend three nights at this hotel, and staff went out of their ways to make the stay pleasant, while not being in your face :-) Good breakfast, as much tea as you could possibly drink, did you wish for it, fruit to each room every evening, The building is very romantic, gives you a lot of thoughts of how it worked as the town palace it once was. Who lived where?
If I visit Sanliurfa again, I would go to great lengths to get a room here again.
Remember it is a budget hotel when it comes to standard, but exceeds this when it comes to service for sure. And, if you go, ask the staff to get you a taxi to take you to Göbekli Tepe, just outside town. We paid 80 TL for the ride and the taxi gave us one hour at the site.

Room Tip: Take a room towards the court yard if you can, my first night I had one to the street and people do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I spent two nights here in September 2012. I'm a single female traveller, and always felt comfortable here. The price was reasonable and included a big breakfast. My room was small but clean and had an en suite bathroom. The location is good and it was easy to find from the airport bus. It's about 20 minutes to walk to the Balikli Gol (fish lake).

I'd recommend this place to others. The building is beautiful, I liked sitting in the courtyard and watching the pigeons perching in the window arches.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel - an old, restored courtyard building - is located in a charming, relatively quiet side street that forms part of the winding labyrinth of old houses north of Balikligol (~10min walk) and off a main street. The rooms were absolutely adequate, clean, with AC and plenty of hot water. Bottles of ice-cold water came free, as well as regular offers of tea, coffee and plates of fruit. (To the reviewer below - this is why they were knocking on your door!!)
The best part is the beautiful courtyard and terrace, which are perfect for unwinding in the evening.

As two young women, we felt safe at all times. The staff speak next to no English, but were absolutely charming and helpful and I'd definitely recommend this hotel.
We paid around 40TRY each for a twin room inc. breakfast - very good value!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

i am a french woman tourist and two days ago i have stayed in this hotel and first of all when i arrived the price in the lonelyplanet and the real one was not same and they wanted to cheat me then at night many times my door knocked then i afraid so much and i could not wait the morning to move from there i could not sleep that night so this hotel must be in black list not in recommend site.
it was terrible experience and imedently i run away from urfa so i never want others have same problem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We didn’t have a prior booking or any previous communication at this hotel and stayed here simply at the advice of our taxi driver that drove us from the bus station at 5am. We were considering another hotel to which the driver said was costly so he suggested this place and we accepted.
As we arrived at 0515 and my wife was tired we checked right in which meant we had to pay for an additional nights fee. We asked for a double room but appeared most rooms were taken and instead were given a room with 4 single beds. At this time of the day I didn’t argue and we took it. We contemplated spending the 2nd night elsewhere but remained there for the sake of convenience.
A lot of effort has gone in to the building of the hotel and it fits in nicely with the region with its authenticity. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful with all of our queries. The taps worked backwards and heating is thru a split ac system. The toilet and shower block was a bit small that my knees barely fit and not to mention the roof was so low I had to shower while crouching. I think the bath and toilet were added later on in to the room.
The hotel is in a very central location with an abundance of eateries, mobile phone shops and sweet shops at your door step.
Twin share room cost us 90 lira per night after some bargaining.
I give it 3.1 stars.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Otel Urhay? Share your experiences!