“Not worth 4*” 3 of 5 stars

Nekkerweg 24, Zuidoostbeemster 1461 , The Netherlands   |
Knokke-Heist, Belgium
“Not worth 4*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

When we wanted to check in, it seems that they did not receive our reservation. And apparently it was the same problem with the people who came just before us. We received a free drink while waiting for our room to be prepared.

We received room n° 8 (there are only 12 rooms) in the building, which was a big suite which was nice, but not cosy at all (moist towels and no shampoo or shower gel). Furniture was not appealing or comfortable. The suite looked a bit empty. The idea is good, but not really good as a room. The bedroom had no windows and because the fort is lying half underground, it smelled moist and damp in the room (without having the possibility for airing the room; the same for the bathroom). The bathtub was missing, only the faucets were available. We noticed that, while taking a shower, everybody on the parking lot can see you standing through the window.

Also the airconditioning is running all day and at night it seems very loud. You have to ask reception to change the temperature in the room, because you can not do it in the room itself. With this warm weather (above 30°), a little fridge would be very handy to store some cold water in it.

We had also an invasion of bugs: spiders, beetles, mosquitos, etc. During our 2nd night bugs were falling down from the ceiling into our bed, so we jumped out to kill all the bugs.

Breakfast is poorly, but taste was nice. The first day the service was very poorly: I could not get any yoghurt or fruit salad. The girl refused to get some (had no idea why). The 2nd day there was another girl and she was very helpful and service minded.

The little things that would make this a truly 4* hotel were missing (damp bedcloths, moist towels, no shampoo or showergel, no spoon or sugar for the thee, no soap to wash your hands with, no bathtub, a little fridge, etc.). And at the end of our stay we were very irritated by all those little things.

One thing I have to say that is really positive, is that the wellness area is excellent! That we really enjoyed. However, no swimsuits or bikini's are allowed. You get a towel and bathrobe at reception.

Just a little note for those who would be interested to book a room in the hotel: make sure you contact the hotel beforehand to check you reservation. And in the wellness area no swimsuits or bikini's allowed.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 to 7 are maybe better. Room n° 8 was not ready and too many bugs in the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This small hotel (12 rooms) is located inside a 1913-built fort. The fort was built as part of the outer defenseline of Amsterdam, but never saw any action. The owners have restored the fort to pristine condition and converted 3/4 into a gigantic spa & pool area.
The thick walls and remote location make that you will sleep through the day, especially after a full spa-treatment. Beds are extremely comfortable. Food is of excellent quality. We wished we could have stayed longer here.

Note that the spa & pool area can only be used by adults and older children (as of 15 years of age), so this is not a property for families with younger / small children.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are really spacious and easily fit a 3rd bed, if requested. The owners are still...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a day free during a business trip to visit Dutch countryside and this hotel had good reviews. I used booking.com and they mentioned bicycle hire and free wi-if. The wi-if was true, bicycle hire was not available and I specifically chose the hotel to cycle to Edam and Voldendam, instead of which I had a to call a taxi at €44 each way. The girl on reception wasn't very polite, nor helpful, felt like all the effort was on my part. She had no local knowledge, didn't offer any info on the hotel and I felt they didn't want me to stay. If I hadn't pre-paid I would have left immediately. The spa was extra € and so was the outdoor pool. I had a quick look around while waiting and thought I'd walked into the ladies changing room by mistake, then realized this was a nudist spa. As a lone business traveller I would not recommend this hotel. Interior renovation was well done but there was no atmosphere, a harsh exterior, nowhere to walk or relax outside (where was the garden?), and frankly I was delighted to leave. The hotel felt lonely and there were few guests. Noise reverberated down the old corridors of the fort. On departure, although I'd paid a reservation on Amex, the hotel wouldn't accept my card. Very disappointing overall.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Belluno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Excellent! The most relaxing place I have ever been, I can say if the paradise would exist, it would be something similar to Fort Resort.
Excellent restaurant, excellent rooms, excellent SPA.
Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zuidoostbeemster
Van der Valk Purmerend 4.0 of 5 stars 20 reviews Inn on the Lake 5.0 of 5 stars 61 reviews In het Fruit 5.0 of 5 stars 1 reviews
View all 2 hotels in Zuidoostbeemster, ranked by popularity

Been to Fort Resort Beemster? Share your experiences!