“Great place, close to beach, friendly innkeepers” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Mare Sanat
Rijkert Aertszweg 8, Wijk aan Zee 1949 BD, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Wijk aan Zee
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great place, close to beach, friendly innkeepers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had a wonderful stay here. We were there in February so definitely not the peak season and upon arriving we were given our choice of room. We choose the room which has the bed in front of an old fireplace. It was a very romantic and spacious room with a nice view. The owners were extremely friendly and we chatted with them before heading up to our room for the night. Breakfast was also good even though we were leaving very early in the morning so I could catch a flight back to the States, so the innkeepers were kind enough to leave breakfast items out for us. Its a very short walk to the beach from the hotel which was nice for a romantic evening beach walk. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would likely stay here again on future visits to Wijk aan Zee.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Warm welcome received and breakfast was good, however our 'family apartment' turned out to be little more than a cramped converted garage. Our two young children slept in the the small dark twin bedroom whilst we suffered the sofa bed in the living room/kitchen/dining room. The bed when set up was right next to the door (glass) leading onto a busy seaside road. It was the worst sleep we have ever had. The thin foam mattress was not even dressed with a sheet! The door leading directly onto the street was dangerous to leave open for our children and offered no privacy. But left closed, the room was dark and offered no ventilation for the bathroom so it was not pleasant! We were very disappointed and checked out early as a result. Such a pity as the location was great and I'm sure would be fine for a couple.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Loved our stay here! Friendly staff, good food (& music) at breakfast time, with eggs boiled to order :-) The room was spacious - en suite a little cramped, but not the problem other reviews have suggested. The stairs were quite steep & narrow, but the staff helped us with luggage. Plenty of friendly restaurants/bars in easy walking distance for evening meals.

We used the Mare Sanat as a base for visiting Keukenhof & Amsterdam (by the Fast Flying Ferry from Velsen-Zuid - highly recommended).

Room Tip: Higher floors may be difficult for guests with restricted mobility.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I only had to walk in the door of the hotel to be reminded of why I had booked to stay again, as I was greeted with a warm & friendly welcome & handshake from the owner. Check in was as un-informal as it gets with just a handover of my room keys, a mention of the times for breakfast & no signing of paperwork or pre authorising of my credit card asked for.
My room for this stay was a single on the ground floor, across from the kitchen & breakfast restaurant. Adequately sized for my 2 night stay it was clean & very comfortable with perfect room temperature & plenty of natural light. It had a very comfortable single bed, wall mounted tv, foldable luggage rack, full length mirror & a decent sized wardrobe. The bathroom wasn’t huge but was clean & bright & had a shower with good pressure & plenty of hot water, shower curtain, more than enough towels, shampoo, shower gel & other toiletries. The toilet was in a closet sized space separate altogether from the bathroom.
Breakfast was continental style, very relaxed in the pleasant dining room with cereals, toast, yoghurts, fruit, boiled eggs, cold meats, cheese, breads, tea/coffee & fruit juice. The hotel doesn’t have a bar as such but does have a small counter close to reception with a cooler full of beer, wine & soft drinks & very comfortable armchairs to chill out. It’s more or less self service & based on trust, as you leave a note of whatever you take from the cooler if there is nobody at reception to serve you. For smokers there is an area outside, just off reception, with tables & seating. I needed to be at Schipol airport by 11.35 on the morning of my departure so I booked an early morning alarm call on the evening before. The alarm call, which I answered, came by phone at the agreed time & was followed up by a knock at my door a few minutes later, making sure that I hadn’t dozed off again, typical of the all round good service that the hotel offers. On checking out I had a nice surprise as, without any prompting for me, my room rate had been dropped by several euros per night from the rate we had already agreed when booking.
It’s worth mentioning that there is no lift in the hotel & the stairs are fairly steep & narrow so, guests with a mobility problem may have difficulty there but in all honesty, that’s the only negative that I could think of with this hotel.
With free car parking at the front of the hotel & it’s proximity to the beach, village centre, restaurants & bars, it’s situated in a great location. Once the dates become available for next year’s weekend away, I’ll be booking the Mare Sanat again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I chose this hotel mainly because of it's location, close to the centre of the village & because it was located at the bottom of the fairly steep hill which leads up to a couple of bigger hotels. I arrived much earlier in the day than the advised check in time but still received a really warm welcome from the owners & was shown instantly to my room,which was ready, with no checkin formalities at all. My room was on the top level, up the stairs as i didn't see any lift. The room was fantastic, really bright & airy owing to it's roof windows. It was clean & extremely comfortable with a great bed, wall mounted tv, table & chairs, wardrobe, full length mirror & bedside lockers.The room temperature was controlled from within the room by means of a thermostatic radiator valve. The bathroom wasn't huge but was more than adequate with shower enclosure, basin, plenty of towels, shower gel & shampoo.
Breakfast was good, continental style in a comfortable, bright dining room. I arrived down to breakfast almost an hour after breakfast should have finished but found my place still set & waiting for me, typical of the friendly atmosphere that the owners have created. There is a small bar in the reception area with nice comfortable seating, perfect for a relaxed beer. On checking out I left my bag in the room at reception(without any charge) as i had several hours to kill & that saved me from hauling it about with me.
I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.Location wise, it was no more than 5 minutes walk to the village's long sandy beach. My room was excellent & the owners were great, really friendly.The entire atmosphere & feeling of the place was so welcoming. I expect to be writing a repeat review for this hotel next march.
In the village itself, Cafe de Zon is great & the Whisky Bar(yep,the Scottish spelling) is good for a last, late night drink on the way back to the hotel. I had a great meal in the Sonnevanck Hotel restaurant & the village snack bar is okay for fast food if that's what you're after.
I had plenty of time on my hands for the journey back to Amsterdam so i got off the train in Haarlem for a couple of hours. A really nice city with a very pretty old square & some fabulous buildings. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mare Sanat? Share your experiences!