“Gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mare Sanat

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Mare Sanat to your Saves list
Hotel Mare Sanat
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rijkert Aertszweg 8, 1949 BD Wijk aan Zee, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wijk aan Zee
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Loved our stay here! Friendly staff, good food (& music) at breakfast time, with eggs boiled to order :-) The room was spacious - en suite a little cramped, but not the problem other reviews have suggested. The stairs were quite steep & narrow, but the staff helped us with luggage. Plenty of friendly restaurants/bars in easy walking distance for evening meals.

We used the Mare Sanat as a base for visiting Keukenhof & Amsterdam (by the Fast Flying Ferry from Velsen-Zuid - highly recommended).

Room Tip: Higher floors may be difficult for guests with restricted mobility.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I only had to walk in the door of the hotel to be reminded of why I had booked to stay again, as I was greeted with a warm & friendly welcome & handshake from the owner. Check in was as un-informal as it gets with just a handover of my room keys, a mention of the times for breakfast & no signing of paperwork or pre authorising of my credit card asked for.
My room for this stay was a single on the ground floor, across from the kitchen & breakfast restaurant. Adequately sized for my 2 night stay it was clean & very comfortable with perfect room temperature & plenty of natural light. It had a very comfortable single bed, wall mounted tv, foldable luggage rack, full length mirror & a decent sized wardrobe. The bathroom wasn’t huge but was clean & bright & had a shower with good pressure & plenty of hot water, shower curtain, more than enough towels, shampoo, shower gel & other toiletries. The toilet was in a closet sized space separate altogether from the bathroom.
Breakfast was continental style, very relaxed in the pleasant dining room with cereals, toast, yoghurts, fruit, boiled eggs, cold meats, cheese, breads, tea/coffee & fruit juice. The hotel doesn’t have a bar as such but does have a small counter close to reception with a cooler full of beer, wine & soft drinks & very comfortable armchairs to chill out. It’s more or less self service & based on trust, as you leave a note of whatever you take from the cooler if there is nobody at reception to serve you. For smokers there is an area outside, just off reception, with tables & seating. I needed to be at Schipol airport by 11.35 on the morning of my departure so I booked an early morning alarm call on the evening before. The alarm call, which I answered, came by phone at the agreed time & was followed up by a knock at my door a few minutes later, making sure that I hadn’t dozed off again, typical of the all round good service that the hotel offers. On checking out I had a nice surprise as, without any prompting for me, my room rate had been dropped by several euros per night from the rate we had already agreed when booking.
It’s worth mentioning that there is no lift in the hotel & the stairs are fairly steep & narrow so, guests with a mobility problem may have difficulty there but in all honesty, that’s the only negative that I could think of with this hotel.
With free car parking at the front of the hotel & it’s proximity to the beach, village centre, restaurants & bars, it’s situated in a great location. Once the dates become available for next year’s weekend away, I’ll be booking the Mare Sanat again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I chose this hotel mainly because of it's location, close to the centre of the village & because it was located at the bottom of the fairly steep hill which leads up to a couple of bigger hotels. I arrived much earlier in the day than the advised check in time but still received a really warm welcome from the owners & was shown instantly to my room,which was ready, with no checkin formalities at all. My room was on the top level, up the stairs as i didn't see any lift. The room was fantastic, really bright & airy owing to it's roof windows. It was clean & extremely comfortable with a great bed, wall mounted tv, table & chairs, wardrobe, full length mirror & bedside lockers.The room temperature was controlled from within the room by means of a thermostatic radiator valve. The bathroom wasn't huge but was more than adequate with shower enclosure, basin, plenty of towels, shower gel & shampoo.
Breakfast was good, continental style in a comfortable, bright dining room. I arrived down to breakfast almost an hour after breakfast should have finished but found my place still set & waiting for me, typical of the friendly atmosphere that the owners have created. There is a small bar in the reception area with nice comfortable seating, perfect for a relaxed beer. On checking out I left my bag in the room at reception(without any charge) as i had several hours to kill & that saved me from hauling it about with me.
I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.Location wise, it was no more than 5 minutes walk to the village's long sandy beach. My room was excellent & the owners were great, really friendly.The entire atmosphere & feeling of the place was so welcoming. I expect to be writing a repeat review for this hotel next march.
In the village itself, Cafe de Zon is great & the Whisky Bar(yep,the Scottish spelling) is good for a last, late night drink on the way back to the hotel. I had a great meal in the Sonnevanck Hotel restaurant & the village snack bar is okay for fast food if that's what you're after.
I had plenty of time on my hands for the journey back to Amsterdam so i got off the train in Haarlem for a couple of hours. A really nice city with a very pretty old square & some fabulous buildings. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mare Sanat? Share your experiences!