“so welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in De Koog
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
“so welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had no idea about Texel hotels - we somehow drawn to this one on the internet - so welcoming and the little touches make all the difference. All you can eat buffet breakfast - everything on it was quality - in some hotels it's just nasty stuff in those bain maries!
The curtains were so thick that the room was a complete blackout - great for a long lie after an active day on Texel.
My little boy said he felt at home, and that's quite unusual when we visit a hotel. He was sad to leave and so was I - we'll be back.

Room Tip: ask to be at the back - it's nice and quiet and you can sit on the balcony in your pyjamas
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Almere, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We come here every year for our wedding anniversary, and it feels like coming home. Staff is friendly and professional, location is perfect and the restaurant serves some great dishes at a very affordable price. And most important we can take our two Jack Russels with us! It is the perfect stay for unwinding and spending quality time together.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The research for a book I am writing took me to the Island of Texel and the Hotel Restaurant Tesselhof in September, 2012. I had a large room with cooking facilities and it met all my needs. Pleasant and clean. The service was outstanding. The staff met my every need and went the extra mile to help my research. The restaurant is good. I really enjoyed one of the hotel restaurant's specialties: veal liver casserole (who knew?). While I was there the main drag was the site of a restaurant competition and I sampled everything from North Sea fish to the island's famous lamb. Until recently I had never heard of Texel and was delighted by the beauty and diversity of the island. On the ferry over I met the local kindergarten teacher and we struck up a friendship. As a result I was invited into her family's home for a delightful spaghetti dinner. The next night her husband (the island police detective), took me to the restaurant competition. Since my book concerns World War II, Texel proved to be a relic-visitor's paradise. Be sure and visit the museum at the airport and keep your eyes peeled for the many wartime bunkers that dot Texel.

Room Tip: Great mattress on my bed. Room had enough space to square dance in it. I think the beach lovers wh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in July 2012 during the Texel Airshow. Large rooms, great hospitality, immediate access to town and the availability of a nearby taxi service on call from reception so everything was excellent. When we arrived, it was quite late (having travelled from Amsterdam) and my husband needed to be at the airport before breakfast started next morning but the very nice lady at reception insisted on making a breakfast pack that night and left it in our room so that he would not leave hungry... Our room had a sauna and if there was not so much going on that weekend, it would have been great to use it... We went out for dinner but had drinks in the bar which was comfortable and friendly with excellent service. I do not drink beer at all but loved the Rose Max, a fruit beer which can be served with ice and is to be recommended. Overall Texel is an undiscovered gem and this hotel is perfect for business or family holidays. Thanks for an enjoyable stay...

Room Tip: If you have time for a sauna, book one of these rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is located next to the better beaches of the island Texel and on the central street of the Koog, the "social artery", so to say. Building is quite recent and in good condition. Most rooms have a balcony and a sauna! Beds and matrasses superb. There is ample parking next to the hotel, very convenient. It is a family run hotel which garantees friendlyness and personal touch, I recieved a phonecall at 9pm to ask wether i would be back before reception staff were off duty, just incase.
Unfortunately the hotel does not take pride in their breakfast, juices are from cans (concentrate) fruit is not fresh, coffee is instant, so are the eggs. You have put everything on a tray and return the tray as if you were in the average college diner. A pity because the restaurant cafe area and terrace have a nice atmosphere.
A night in a double room cost us € 152,50 incl brkfst, which I considered to be perhaps a little steep, allthough it was high season.

• Stayed August 2012
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was a very nice smaller property. The room i had was large (by European standards) and had a coffee maker, stove and small refrig. (no microwave) a dining room table and separate living area. The king bed is actually two twin beds set side-side. Very common in Europe. EXCELLENT shower with sauna steam and "menthol" vapor if desired. The staff was friendly, but easily overwhelmed. The food in the restaurant was good, not great. Excellent location, only a short walk to the beach. Add 15 euro for internet access.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Very nicely decorated rooms. Beds nice and cozy. Bikes available to borrow at no extra charge. Was excited to discover a sauna in my room, but when I went to ask for instructions as to how to use it since I couldn't read the instructions (b/c next to nothing on Texel has an English version) I was told that to use it would result in an extra charge .... oh. What would have happened if I'd just turned it on? Oh well, disappointing but no problems other than that. Was happy to have a bike to use, and was able to use it even after I'd checked out. Just stored my backpack under the desk at front counter.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Restaurant Tesselhof? Share your experiences!