“A beautiful relaxing view!!” 3 of 5 stars

Lake Land Hotel
Jachthaven 1 | 1141 AV, Monnickendam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monnickendam
Athens, Greece
“A beautiful relaxing view!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was in Monnickendam for five days for a seminar, and the booking in this hotel had been made for the whole team by the organisers.
The Lake Land Hotel gives the impression of being huge, with many "wings" and endless corridors... I really loved its interior though (the restaurant, bar and corridors)! An old design, really lovely!! My room was -if I recall it well- 267. Simple, but likeable.
Only problem ... the mosquitoes, which made sleep impossible for me ("fortunately", only during the last night of my stay)!... And the heat, which I fled from in Greece, just to find it -oddly enough- also in Holland!!

The location and view, however, are incomparable!!!
Every morning, my "alarm clock" was the waterfowl below my balcony, which came there in huge numbers, and just to look at the lake and the marina on the opposite shore was enough to make me relax and feel great!

Breakfast was really good, with various breads, cheeses and cured meats among other things.
A small problem is that Wi-Fi is only available at a price, but it is reasonable enough (2 Euros per 24 hours).

All in all a pleasant stay!

As for beautiful Monnickendam itself, it is a splendid little town, with a huge marina, nice looking restaurants and bars, much room for strolls and a quiet, lovely atmosphere!
The only downside: no shop is ever open after 17.00-17.30...
And I couldn't fail to mention that this was the first time in my whole life that I saw so many spiders and spiderwebs!!! They were everywhere in Monnickendam! In bushes, plants and trees, on buildings, windows, bus-stops, boats, yachts, EVERYWHERE!! A real "Archnophobia"!!! I guess it has to do with climate, humidity and I don't know what else, as well as with the fact that -obviously- nobody ever messes with them, but even so ... it felt really-really strange to us who were from other countries!!
Also, I think that Monnickendam has the fattest cats in the whole world, but also the cuddliest ones! ;-)
And, last but not least, this was my very first time to see so many houses with windows on ground level, lit and without curtains, where everyone could take a peek inside at every moment! I must admit, however, that all these living rooms and kitchens were really-really beautiful!!...

Room Tip: Mine was overlooking the lake! Definitely book in that wing!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic break...Monnickendam a beautiful town...esp on a Saturday when the small market sets up. Most houses leave their curtains open and lights on...so a real joy if you are nosey like me!

And close to Amsterdam, the main reason for our visit. Anne Frank's house worth a visit, but pleanty else to see if sex and drugs not your bag.

And the hotel? I expected somethibg soleless...but other than the rooms were basic (I think the tiled floors magnified this) the restaurant was lovely (though had to ask for a vegetarian option twice), the bar was full of charm and although lively not rowdy.

Highly recomended.

• Stayed September 2013
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed in Lakeland hotel for four days. The location is very nice and I enjoyed the walks and the food in the area. It is 20 minutes by bus from Amsterdam and the one-way ticket costs 5 euro. The hotel is really simple. The breakfast was a classic continental breakfast, with a variety of breads, tea, coffee, cake, etc. The staff was kind and always willing to help. There isn't free internet access, it costs 2 euro per day. I think the only thing that made me a bad impression was the room. It was clean, but nobody tried to "clean" the numerous spiders with their nets that were there. Each day that passed I found a new spider-roommate, despite the fact that there was a window with mosquito netting. My friends also had the same insect problem. I think that the housekeeping department could have cleaned the spider nets from the ceiling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor to have a view or a room near the reception desk in order to avoid...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
penarth united kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

having read previous reviews, i was worried about our holiday, i neednt have worried. What a pleasant place to spend a short break. rooms were on the small side but u only sleep in it so they were adequate, bathroom was also ok, we fed the ducks that are outside verandah every morning and the view was lovely, a marina across a lake. The food was basic but plentiful and staff pleasant, bus up road straight to amsterdam, all in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: didnt experience any noise issues except suitcases being taken to and from rooms, we were on ground...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had 2 nights in this hotel. It was booked by our travel tour. It was about 30 minutes from Amsterdam, easy to get there on the public transport (bus).
The hotel is average, nothing really bad and nothing really good. The food...breafast was ok, but dinners could be better. Still no complain though.
Nice people running the place, polite and helpful. Free drinks from 20:30 till 23:30 are nice, but night live in Amsterdam is better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed as part of a coach tour. Was in a ground floor room which was very clean, bathroom large with shower over bath and bath mat. Appreciated the tiled floor which I prefer to carpets even if it is noisy. Breakfast was OK, enough choice to ensure plenty to eat. Dinner less good as vegetables a bit overcooked for me, but there was plenty of salad. Would have like to walk around lake, but fenced off securely. Overall better than I expected from reviews.

Room Tip: Ground floor was fine but did not feel able to leave window (patio type) open overnight. View over c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

just stayed for 3 nights at The Lake Land Hotel in Monnikendam and found it very pleasent and relaxing. We had a ground floor room at the front of the hotel overlooking the marina at the far end of the corridor. The Hotel is basic but for the price we paid we did not expect the Ritz. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The continental breakfast was great with a good selection of different cheeses and cold meats.The evening meal was basic with limited choice options but was good enough after a busy day and was included in the price. For the price we paid we felt that the hotel was good value for money and the staff were all pleasent and helpfull.
All we needed was a comfortable, clean bed and reasonable food which we got. For the price we paid for the holiday we thought the standards were good for a 2/3 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lake Land Hotel? Share your experiences!