“One iron in the whole hotel...” 2 of 5 stars

Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Nautisch Kwartier
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mastspoor 1, 1271 GL Huizen, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Huizen
Reading, United Kingdom
“One iron in the whole hotel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel appears to have been designed to look and feel like an old village, but feels slightly fake. I stayed here twice on business in May, the first time I stayed in one of the outbuildings which had a window with no curtain by design in the door, which let in the sun at a ridiculously early time in the morning. On the second trip I was in the main building with no similar window, however I needed to iron my shirt for an early morning meeting and was told by reception that the hotel only had one which someone else had for the evening... Even the spartan hotel I stayed in, in Stavanger had an iron and iron board!! All I can say is don't stay here for business.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Upon arrival we were welcomed in the most friendly way, during our three night stay we experienced that every staff memeber made it his/her job to let us feel at home. First we were given an attick room in one of the more remote buildings, both of us being quite tall we felt claustrofobic in a room where half of the space was under a roof which didn't allow us to stand upright. We were given an upgrade to the main building, the room itself wasn't bigger but had high ceilings and an amazing view over the lake. In general the decor of the hotel and it's rooms are cosy, however I do have to wonder if the furniture and flooring will be able to stand the test of time as they don't seem to be made for a heavy duty hospitality environment.
When booking through the hotels website you will have the opportunity to purchase dinner at reduced prices, we did so for every night. The menu had limited choice but was acceptable, however I have reservations about some menu items... for example the tomato soup was very blad which led me to believe it was not prepared in house. Our last night we had a 4-course menu which was rushed through in less than an hour, probably because it was New Years Eve and everyone on duty was rushing to be with their family or friend to celebrate, I can understand that but working in the hospitality industry your guests have a higher priority, for us this definately was not how we intended to spend our evening. Instead of enjoying a romantic night out we were back in our room by 8:30PM, for the rest there was nothing else to do in the hotel that night. If a hotel or restaurant isn't prepared to give it's guest an nice time on New Year's Eve then it is better to close all together instead of taking the money and run.
All in all this really isn't a bad hotel, it just didn't meet our expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have stayed here twice now, once just after it opened in 2012, and again in April 2013.
Positive: both stays were nice overall, and the rooms are comfortable with good beds, and a good and spacious shower. The whole brand-new area is quite a nice design at the harborside. Very good breakfast, and it is convenient to have so many different restaurants close by, although it is not very clear which ones are part of the hotel and which are not.

Negative points:
The bed pillows are lumpy - offering some pillows with other fillings would be good. Lighting in the bathroom can be better. The bedrooms do not have curtains, but wooden adjustable horizontal shutters which do not close very well, so you still have light come into the room even if you don't want to. Some blackout roller blinds would be a welcome addition.
During our first stay, there were some problems with the door locks in the rooms.
The serving staff at breakfast are not overly friendly.....probably because they are busy restocking the buffet.
Not all processes run well yet - we booked for tea and apple pie as part of our arrangement, but were not given vouchers for these, nor were we told how to get these. Visiting the bar/restaurant area, we found out we needed vouchers, so back to reception again to get these, after which it took ages for the bar staff to deliver our tea.
We were also overcharged for our stay, which I had to get rectified by phone after we had left.
So yes, definitely some loose ends.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The room was extremely clean and modern but lacked not only any character but also the facilities to have a drink either hot or cold so purchase a bottle of water and take to the room. Also both water for the shower and air temperature were way too low and neither could be altered. However on the plus side the most comfortable bed experienced in a hotel in a long while.

Fortunately I was in the main part of the hotel but my colleagues were in other buildings and there was no covered walkway!!

Room Tip: Stay in the main part of the hotel rooms 101 to 132 otherwise you may be in the rain and cold for yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Siauliai, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for a romantic weekend and had quite high expectations after reading the good reviews. Even though the hotel is really new and modern, in great location, we were slightly disappointed... We paid extra for water view and were seeing the lake just from far, sure not worth it. The room was neat and modern but definitely lacked cosiness. Some members of the staff were nice (especially the older man in breakfast room) but some made us feel not welcome at the hotel. We're in late 20s and most guests staying there that weekend were in their 40s-50s. Sure, nothing wrong about it, we didn't come to party, but just were feeling to be in a wrong place. So our experience was not the most memorable but in general the hotel is quite nice, maybe some other time we would have had a nicer time here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ii, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I visited this hotel on business trip recently. The hotel was immaculate, I saw it was opened less than a year ago.

Everything was very good. The price was like 90 eur per night. The room was extremely nice. Very clean, spacious, high ceiling, sound proof, good comfy bed, modern bathroom with rain shower. My room had a view to harbour and water outside.

I seldom see such a nice quality hotel with their price. There was a very nice wine bar downstairs with club leather seats, good music and atmosphere.

When I return I will definitely book the same place, heck I would even pay with my own money to stay here. My room was in the first floor in the same building that the reception was. My colleague stayed in other building but was very positive about the experience as well.

I recommend it highly. Not a luxury hotel but definitely not a regular sad worn three star stay. This comes close to many Hyatt & similar experiences that I have, with fraction of the price. Book it, you wont regret.

Room Tip: main building was ok for me
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel looks great, amongst renovated period buildings in the old harbor waterfront. However, the rooms are quite simple, almost like a budget hotel, and it's not cheap for what you get. As it's recently renovated, the hotel is still in very good condition.

I've visited 2 times each for one overnight, on a business trip. It's fine for a one night stopover, and the breakfasts are very good. Also, there is free wifi in the room.

Room Tip: One time I stayed here, I was sent to the 'Botter' building, which was a short trudge throug...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Nautisch Kwartier? Share your experiences!