“Nestled in in gorgeous blue mountain nature” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature

Save Saved
You added Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature
Red Light District, Irish Town, St Andrew | Blue Mountains, Irish Town, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Irish Town B&B and Inns
St-Quentin, France
“Nestled in in gorgeous blue mountain nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great spot from with to discover the blue mountains scenery and atmosphere.
Getting to rafjam from Kingston is easy, rather ask for their preferred taxi driver or drive up the hills. Ask for directions. The way from the main road to the B&B is a dirt road and part of the experience, I had no problem with my rented toyota Corolla, by night.
Arriving there, the place is very clean, large rooms and bathrooms, and large smiles welcoming you.
We were a group of 14 and had no problem having our meals on the deck outside. There are covered places if you fear the sun or the rain. The menu is great with choices for various tastes, we really appreciated the local meals from breakfast to dinner.
The temperature was naturally cooler in the mountain than on the seaside, but there was no need to have a sweater on at this time. we rather had a swim in the natural swimming pool and a red stripe at the Tiki Bar.
We had first chose this B&B against the other short listed because it had many activities that could be organized. We visited a coffee plantation and went up blue mountain peak by night .
Beyond the scene, the place, the atmosphere, was a dedicated team managed by Susan. Very open and willing to share what their country has best in the mountains. Thank you all for taking care of us ! We had a great time and know where to go when we come back in the mountains.
Andrew

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
cjam10, Owner at Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello Andrew, my staff and i always feels good when our guests can leave and are totally happy, we are very happy we could cater for your group and deliver in a great manner, We are happy you had a great time here. Please we will welcome you back at Rafjam the next time you visit. see you soon......Susan

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went here together with two friends and their baby. We came here twice, both time because we had some things to do in Kingston, and we didn't want to live in the town. We shared the tree house together. What a place! Beutiful garden, wonderful house, and kind staff. The owners, and the staff really make you feel welcome and at home.

Good to know is that the road to Raf Jam is kind of a adventure. We had a rental car, and loads of luggage. Some of us had to walk a part of the road. But, as long as you are careful it is really nog a problem to get there!

I highly reccomend everybody to stay here! You will probably not regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Lovisa, Thank you for your review, We are extremely happy you had a great time here, we were very happy to host you. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.....Susan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I came up to RafJam to escape from Kingston for a bit. I'm really glad I did. Even though its a short drive from the city, it was like staying in a treehouse surrounded by waterfalls and beautiful wildlife. And, best of all, wonderful Jamaican people.
Susan and Raf were kind, down to earth and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012
Ventnor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Spending 4 day's with my parents in this isolated place down a dirt road next to the little mountain village called Red Light i begun wondering if I would be able to enjoy myself, and regardless to say I loved it. Susan is lovely, and the family including their dogs are wonderful, they truly make you feel at home! The sound of the crashing waterfall in the garden puts you in a beautiful place, and the little paths leading up to the mountains are great to go exploring in and sight-seeing. I hope you're enjoying Yatzee! Its a fun game! Overall you need to visit this place to truly experience the wonder of it. Hope everyone is well and say hi to William!

Room Tip: They have an amazing little new cottage they've been building up themselves, and should be finis...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were 3 people, spent 4 nights here (although 3 would probably have been enough). All was fine, we were given 2 rooms, instead of 1, shame the wifi didn't work much, but we survived! Do think you need a torch to be able to go out in the evening, as it's quite a walk from the road. Susan and family were very friendly, and work so hard to make this all okay. I can imagine that it will only get better and better, more and more beautiful, as the family continue to improve the facilities. The river is fantastic, the gardens impressive, really hope Susan gets to buy her 4x4, because she really needs it! Good luck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was at Rafjam for 3 nights with my girlfriend for her birthday. She lives in Jamaica, and had always wanted to see the Blue Mountain region. We both had a great time and plan to return again soon to enjoy the hiking trails.

The property is very unique, with a mountain stream flowing through the property and a beautiful veranda at the back. The main house in Rafjam was at one point Susan (the proprietor)'s mothers house, which she subsequently expanded. There are hiking trails nearby, and you can sign up for a tour guide if you like. I think the term "Bed and Breakfast" is really a misnomer for this place - yes, it is a small property and the rate includes breakfast, but they also serve lunch and dinner to order and have a full-service bar. The food is very good - very authentic Jamaican cooking - and is reasonably priced.

Rafjam has done a good job providing high-quality high speed Internet in the property. I could get online from either my room or from the veranda out back, and the quality was so high I could make phone calls using VoIP and people didn't even realize I was out of town.

One thing I really appreciated about Rafjam was their accommodation for food allergies. I'm allergic to fish and shellfish, and so certain classic Jamaican dishes like Ackee & Saltfish I can't have. They were much more accommodating than most places I've stayed in - preparing special meals for me when fish was on the menu so I was never left out.

The one thing people should realize is that Rafjam is very isolated - the dirt road you drive on at the end is difficult when it is dry, and a real adventure when it's wet. This is all OK, once you get to Rafjam you really won't want to leave, but it is a good idea to make sure you have anything you need, because to leave the property to go to a shop and buy something you forgot is a pain. And, the closest ATM is in Papine, the suburb of Kingston you drive through before you start going up the hills, so you should make sure you withdraw enough cash from an ATM in town before you go.

As of when I went, Rafjam doesn't accept credit cards, so you should work out payment arrangements in advance. Cash works, and they also accept Paypal, which you can use with a credit card. I was able to settle my bill using my credit card and Paypal at the end of my stay, which was a handy work-around. If you plan to use cash, you should be sure to bring some extra - the nightly rate includes breakfast, but does not include lunch, dinner, or drinks at the bar - and most people will want to take advantage of those.

All in all I would highly recommend Rafjam for anyone who would like to see the real Jamaica - instead of the usual fake "ya mon" version of Jamaica they feed to the tourists in the resorts. At Rafjam you will see the real Jamaican countryside, experience staying in a real Jamaican house, eating real Jamaican food, and being around real Jamaican people. And, if you like hiking, you can experience some of the most beautiful scenery on the island.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Shawn, Thank you so much for your lovely review, its unbelievable how much you enjoyed yourselves with us, we always try to deliver as much as we can to our guests, because we want them to leave happy and in this case you left us happy.......Please feel free to visit us whenever you are in the area.....Susan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spend 4 days last september 2011 at Rafjam's. It was so amazing. Susan was great! She picked me up from the airport and got me back when I left. The food they serve was great! It's very local and so tasty! I pretty much had all my meals there. I went hiking in the blue mountains, went up to the Rastafaris and did a trip with Susan to a coffee plantage... Everybody was so nice and really friendly. At night we had some beers at the Bar and played domino... I wish I could have stayed longer and I will definitely try to go back! The prices are really reasonable and it was all worth it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature? Share your experiences!