“Waterfalls and mountain air..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature

Save Saved
You added Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature to your Saves list
Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature
Red Light District | Blue Mountains, Irish Town, Jamaica   |
“Waterfalls and mountain air..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I came up to RafJam to escape from Kingston for a bit. I'm really glad I did. Even though its a short drive from the city, it was like staying in a treehouse surrounded by waterfalls and beautiful wildlife. And, best of all, wonderful Jamaican people.
Susan and Raf were kind, down to earth and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ventnor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Spending 4 day's with my parents in this isolated place down a dirt road next to the little mountain village called Red Light i begun wondering if I would be able to enjoy myself, and regardless to say I loved it. Susan is lovely, and the family including their dogs are wonderful, they truly make you feel at home! The sound of the crashing waterfall in the garden puts you in a beautiful place, and the little paths leading up to the mountains are great to go exploring in and sight-seeing. I hope you're enjoying Yatzee! Its a fun game! Overall you need to visit this place to truly experience the wonder of it. Hope everyone is well and say hi to William!

Room Tip: They have an amazing little new cottage they've been building up themselves, and should be finis...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were 3 people, spent 4 nights here (although 3 would probably have been enough). All was fine, we were given 2 rooms, instead of 1, shame the wifi didn't work much, but we survived! Do think you need a torch to be able to go out in the evening, as it's quite a walk from the road. Susan and family were very friendly, and work so hard to make this all okay. I can imagine that it will only get better and better, more and more beautiful, as the family continue to improve the facilities. The river is fantastic, the gardens impressive, really hope Susan gets to buy her 4x4, because she really needs it! Good luck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was at Rafjam for 3 nights with my girlfriend for her birthday. She lives in Jamaica, and had always wanted to see the Blue Mountain region. We both had a great time and plan to return again soon to enjoy the hiking trails.

The property is very unique, with a mountain stream flowing through the property and a beautiful veranda at the back. The main house in Rafjam was at one point Susan (the proprietor)'s mothers house, which she subsequently expanded. There are hiking trails nearby, and you can sign up for a tour guide if you like. I think the term "Bed and Breakfast" is really a misnomer for this place - yes, it is a small property and the rate includes breakfast, but they also serve lunch and dinner to order and have a full-service bar. The food is very good - very authentic Jamaican cooking - and is reasonably priced.

Rafjam has done a good job providing high-quality high speed Internet in the property. I could get online from either my room or from the veranda out back, and the quality was so high I could make phone calls using VoIP and people didn't even realize I was out of town.

One thing I really appreciated about Rafjam was their accommodation for food allergies. I'm allergic to fish and shellfish, and so certain classic Jamaican dishes like Ackee & Saltfish I can't have. They were much more accommodating than most places I've stayed in - preparing special meals for me when fish was on the menu so I was never left out.

The one thing people should realize is that Rafjam is very isolated - the dirt road you drive on at the end is difficult when it is dry, and a real adventure when it's wet. This is all OK, once you get to Rafjam you really won't want to leave, but it is a good idea to make sure you have anything you need, because to leave the property to go to a shop and buy something you forgot is a pain. And, the closest ATM is in Papine, the suburb of Kingston you drive through before you start going up the hills, so you should make sure you withdraw enough cash from an ATM in town before you go.

As of when I went, Rafjam doesn't accept credit cards, so you should work out payment arrangements in advance. Cash works, and they also accept Paypal, which you can use with a credit card. I was able to settle my bill using my credit card and Paypal at the end of my stay, which was a handy work-around. If you plan to use cash, you should be sure to bring some extra - the nightly rate includes breakfast, but does not include lunch, dinner, or drinks at the bar - and most people will want to take advantage of those.

All in all I would highly recommend Rafjam for anyone who would like to see the real Jamaica - instead of the usual fake "ya mon" version of Jamaica they feed to the tourists in the resorts. At Rafjam you will see the real Jamaican countryside, experience staying in a real Jamaican house, eating real Jamaican food, and being around real Jamaican people. And, if you like hiking, you can experience some of the most beautiful scenery on the island.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
cjam10, Owner at Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello Shawn, Thank you so much for your lovely review, its unbelievable how much you enjoyed yourselves with us, we always try to deliver as much as we can to our guests, because we want them to leave happy and in this case you left us happy.......Please feel free to visit us whenever you are in the area.....Susan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spend 4 days last september 2011 at Rafjam's. It was so amazing. Susan was great! She picked me up from the airport and got me back when I left. The food they serve was great! It's very local and so tasty! I pretty much had all my meals there. I went hiking in the blue mountains, went up to the Rastafaris and did a trip with Susan to a coffee plantage... Everybody was so nice and really friendly. At night we had some beers at the Bar and played domino... I wish I could have stayed longer and I will definitely try to go back! The prices are really reasonable and it was all worth it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at Rafjam for one night... the two bedroom cottage built on the river's edge was simply amazing and delightful to stay in. It brought with it a rustic flavor which was to our satisfaction. We were met on arrival by Susan's sister who assisted us in getting settled. The following morning met Susan who was very pleasant and accomadating. We are a family of hikers and so we took to the mountains after breakfast. Breath-taking views of the area once we were ontop of the mountain.....had to cut tour short because it was only one night.
Everything was excellent for us who prefer the simpler things in life than the sun, sand and sea offered by the traditional hotels.

Note however that the it is best to use the shuttle service offered and not to drive your car like we did!..... Hand rails for bridge required and smaller gaps in balcony rails suggested. Lovely bathroom but non-skid mats required in showers...

We will definately visit again...

Paul, Shaun, Chad, Davieta & D-jhal'l.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
cjam10, Owner at Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thanks to the 4 of you. It was a real pleasure to have you here and we are happy you enjoyed your stay at Rafjam.
Come back soon!

The Rafjam team
Norwich, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was a guest at Rafjam for 12 days while working with Susan and a classmate from some 36 years ago.We had made this trip to GIVE to others as part of a rehab project to adopt the Craighton Primary School..I had never been out of my country before and was full of anticipation and fear.I had nothing to fear. Upon my arrival @ Rafjam I was treated as family and not just a guest,and by the third day Susan was calling me "Mom".I went there to give a small bit of time to a few unknown children and what I took from there was so much more than I could ever put into words.The dawning of each day and the sunset of each night brought so much excitement and peace!!!The landscape was breathtaking and calming.The family that surrounds this quite place in the Blue Moutains were some of the most friendly and hard working people I have ever met.I am sure that I would never have been this comfortable in a 5 star hotel anywhere!!!The food was some of the best I had ever eaten and most of it was grown right there.So if you are wanting a beautiful and serene place to spend some time this is your place....Weather you are a hiker,an artist,an adventurist or a soul seeker on your way to Jamaica do yourself a favor and book some time here...It will be a wonderful surprise and experience!!!!Thanks to Susan and her entire family..Will always hold you all and Rafjam in my heart!!!One Love...soon come my friend!!!!

Room Tip: My room was the Van Gohn and it overlooked the serene gardens and babbling brook...It was so easy to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
cjam10, Manager at Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Cynthia... you now know where home away from home is. Thanks for staying with us, thanks for this review and, most importantly, thank you for your help in the community!

We hope you will be part of the next mission!

the Rafjam team

Been to Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature? Share your experiences!