I was at Rafjam for 3 nights with my girlfriend for her birthday. She lives in Jamaica, and had always wanted to see the Blue Mountain region. We both had a great time and plan to return again soon to enjoy the hiking trails.
The property is very unique, with a mountain stream flowing through the property and a beautiful veranda at the back. The main house in Rafjam was at one point Susan (the proprietor)'s mothers house, which she subsequently expanded. There are hiking trails nearby, and you can sign up for a tour guide if you like. I think the term "Bed and Breakfast" is really a misnomer for this place - yes, it is a small property and the rate includes breakfast, but they also serve lunch and dinner to order and have a full-service bar. The food is very good - very authentic Jamaican cooking - and is reasonably priced.
Rafjam has done a good job providing high-quality high speed Internet in the property. I could get online from either my room or from the veranda out back, and the quality was so high I could make phone calls using VoIP and people didn't even realize I was out of town.
One thing I really appreciated about Rafjam was their accommodation for food allergies. I'm allergic to fish and shellfish, and so certain classic Jamaican dishes like Ackee & Saltfish I can't have. They were much more accommodating than most places I've stayed in - preparing special meals for me when fish was on the menu so I was never left out.
The one thing people should realize is that Rafjam is very isolated - the dirt road you drive on at the end is difficult when it is dry, and a real adventure when it's wet. This is all OK, once you get to Rafjam you really won't want to leave, but it is a good idea to make sure you have anything you need, because to leave the property to go to a shop and buy something you forgot is a pain. And, the closest ATM is in Papine, the suburb of Kingston you drive through before you start going up the hills, so you should make sure you withdraw enough cash from an ATM in town before you go.
As of when I went, Rafjam doesn't accept credit cards, so you should work out payment arrangements in advance. Cash works, and they also accept Paypal, which you can use with a credit card. I was able to settle my bill using my credit card and Paypal at the end of my stay, which was a handy work-around. If you plan to use cash, you should be sure to bring some extra - the nightly rate includes breakfast, but does not include lunch, dinner, or drinks at the bar - and most people will want to take advantage of those.
All in all I would highly recommend Rafjam for anyone who would like to see the real Jamaica - instead of the usual fake "ya mon" version of Jamaica they feed to the tourists in the resorts. At Rafjam you will see the real Jamaican countryside, experience staying in a real Jamaican house, eating real Jamaican food, and being around real Jamaican people. And, if you like hiking, you can experience some of the most beautiful scenery on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep in the valleys of the Blue Mountains, Rafjam Bed and Breakfast offers an authentic, local Jamaican experience like none other. Rafjam is located up the B1 highway from Papine in Kingston. After about a 30 minute drive and arrival to the town of Red Light, turn right on Hopewell Road and drive all the way down the cul-de-sac. Nestled between two rivers, the guest accommodations are perched high above the natural scenery: the cascading river in our backyard or the fleeting glimpse of a hummingbird sipping rain water from the petals of a heliconia.The climate in the mountains drifts from sun to cloud all day, with scattered rain. Rafjam offers an ideal spot to soak in the soothing Jamaican sun while not getting scorched along the way. You can always jump into one of the many freshwater pools on the property to cool off, or climb up to the 15 foot waterfall just five minutes away.Born and raised in Springdale Cove, Susan inherited her parent's house and decided to refurbish. Eager to offer a taste of paradise to everyone, she opened these magnificent Blue Mountain Cottages with the help of her husband. This vivacious, real Jamaican lady and her professional, laid back team will welcome you and provide whatever you need for you to enjoy your stay.Rafjam's kitchen serves a variety of succulent Jamaican and international cuisines. Our team includes world renowned chefs who evoke their Caribbean, North and South American, and European palates with their culinary creations. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available. A special request? We will cook according to your taste. Many of the items we serve are grown organically right here in our own backyard or acquired directly from local farmers. A global, eco-friendly gustatory experience in the quiet heart of the Blue Mountains.Five star service in a family setting... you will surely be back again!Rafjam: service beyond expectation... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Rafjam's Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages and Nature reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rafjam`s Bed & Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages And Nature Hotel Irish Town
- Rafjam`s Bed And Breakfast, Blue Mountain Cottages And Nature