“Awful hotel but renovations coming” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Restaurant De Paasberg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arnhemseweg 20, 6711 HA Ede, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ede
Hoensbroek, Limburg, Netherlands
“Awful hotel but renovations coming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The first room assigned to my husband and I was disgusting. I saw dirty tissues underneath the bed and the grout between the shower tiles was covered with mold. We went directly to the management and requested a different room. They were accomodating but the room they changed us to in the basement was in the midst of renovations. The grout in the shower wasn't finished and a lot of the fixtures hadn't been installed yet. We may try the hotel again, knowing that things will be renewed, but overall it was a bad experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

This Hotel portrays itself as a modern chic business hotel. The reality is that it's a dump. Only a handful of rooms have been refurbished like the pictures on most booking websites and the majority were furnished, cleaned and decorated in the 1960's. The rooms smell. The furniture's old and broken. The carpets are worn and dirty.
The staff were uncaring and clearly used to complaints about this and simply shrugged their shoulders and offered the options of either equally-poor rooms near a bar and pool-table, or you could check-out and beg your travel agent for a refund.
Please don't waste your time or money going to this place.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel are your best option.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Banbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Two of us stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a B&B basis. We were there for business en-route to a longer mini-break elsewhere. It was booked by the clients so we felt we had to stay there and the hotels in this area seem to be quite limited. Based on website images and TA reviews it did not seem it would be too bad of a place – we didn't expect luxury for this price, but certainly expected it to be halfway decent. Is this really a 3-Star hotel?

Unfortunately this is a weird case of the website photos making the place look much better than it actually is, helped along by some extremely dubious good reviews. I can hardly believe some of these reviewers stayed in the same place. If this hotel currently ranks 2 out of 4 in Ede then I shudder at the thought of the others. Having experienced the place I hardly know where to begin – this is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed.

From the outside the 'hotel' looks deceptively OK with modern outdoor seating and umbrellas in the front. There is a small hotel car park to the side of the property with free parking and we had no trouble finding a space although I don't think it was very full. The day we arrived there was a live band playing which gave the impression of a popular, lively place but once the band and their groupies left it was pretty dead.

The hotel:
Once inside we found we had travelled back in time despite being told that the hotel had been refurbished in 2010! I think they must have bought stuff from the 70s and 80s. The decor is tacky, with a black/purple vintage music theme running throughout the public areas and guest rooms, there are outdated vases containing fake foliage and flowers and the restaurant chairs are a weird combo of metal function chairs entirely covered with black material, very funereal. The whole place has a very night-clubby ambiance. With clever lighting the bar/lounge area actually looked OK at night but in the cold light of day, there was hair, animal fur and stains on the lounge chairs and the whole place needed a good clean. I could not help but think of night clubs and brothels. On not very close inspection it is clear that areas had been spruced up with a quick coat of paint slapped on to tart things up on the surface. The whole place had a funny stagnant smell, did not feel clean and there were huge mosquitos buzzing about in the rooms and the restaurant with many more at the windows trying to get in. I was not expecting to be bitten by mosquitos in Holland!

The rooms:
We had 3 rooms…
First room:
On arrival we were directed up to the second floor to what seemed to be an un-refurbished side of the building (the area on the same side of the restaurant and baffling when some websites are stating that the whole place has been refurbished). Up a very strange lift, this room (I think it was room 203) was so tiny there was hardly space around the twin beds to swing a cat far less get our luggage in. The glorious sunshine had obviously been pouring in all afternoon and there was a horrible smell of stagnant air and overwhelmingly intense heat. We immediately went back to reception and asked for a cooler room or a better room even if we had to pay more. The receptionist seemed to have difficulty finding a room at all – then offered us another room on the other side of the same block – ground floor . "Just go through the door behind the pool table in the bar area" she said. Huh??@! We manoeuvred our luggage through a 'secret' door behind the pool table in the bar area to find a cooler and yes larger room I say secret because you could hardly see the door as it was the same lovely black as the pool room wall.

Second room:
It was certainly cooler and bigger but in terrible condition with dingy old furniture and a tv which could have been rescued from a tip. The bed had a scrappy wooden built-in type headboard with bare wires and bare lightbulbs right above our heads when we lay down, the sheets and bed gave us that itchy crawling feeling, I slept wrapped in a pashmina. The mattresses felt old and uncomfortable and very thin – almost amusing as they boast about having 'sprung' mattresses – doesn't everyone have them these days? The carpet was very old and worst of all the room absolutely reeked of the same odd smell (stagnant water, dead mouse smell) but much stronger. The smell seemed to be especially prevalent in the bathroom which did not feel hygienic – the dirty grouting and mosquitos buzzing inside and out just added to our overall discomfort and horror.

Needless to say there were no niceties. When they say they provide 'complimentary toiletries' on various websites I think they are referring to the generic industrial type soap dispenser attached to the wall in the shower. There was a small plastic, yellowing with age, bathroom cabinet with a mirror and 2 plastic cups. Classy. This room had large glass windows with net curtains and luckily a heavy dark curtain extending the width of the outside wall and overlooking some metal stairs which appeared to lead downwards – we had to shut the windows anyway because of passing people seeing in and loud voices, and of course the mosquitos all hankering to get in. We did not sleep much that night.

Third room:
The next morning, in not very good spirits we asked again if we could get a better room, this time a different receptionist seemed to have more luck finding another room. So for a further €20 we moved to the other side of the building up to the first floor. I was on my own at this point so had to move two suitcases and two pieces of heavy hand luggage – two members of staff watched me make three trips from one room to the other past the reception desk with no offer of help.

This side of the building starting with the lift immediately seemed cleaner and brighter. Not great, just better than the other side. Same odd smell to a lesser degree and there seemed to be some effort with the decor and better bedding. There was also a flat screen tv and free WiFi on this side. The bathroom was bigger but came with a cracked sink, the same plastic bathroom cabinet, old grotty tiling and industrial style hair and body soap dispenser. We did have a balcony with a 'spectacular' view of what I think was the terrace, complete with plastic grass and abandoned furniture, etc. Although the mosquitos were still around, I was glad of the bigger bathroom as it gave me more room to cope with being sick all day on the third day due to food poisoning from the restaurant the night before. We could also hear the couple above 'at it' through the thin ceilings.

The food:
The night we arrived it was pretty late so they did us a bowl of tomato soup at the bar, this was very hot and tasty.
The breakfast was basic continental style. Totally self-service down to the plates, mugs, cutlery, etc. This of course meant several trips back and forth to your table. The sliced bread had flies landing on them, there was no way to make toast, there was some fruit, cheese and cold cuts, as well as powdered scrambled egg and very overdone bacon sat in it's own fat, it looked like it had been there for far too long. Breakfast in a night-club music themed restaurant was altogether an odd experience, the only saving grace was the coffee which was quite good and bananas are always a safe bet.

The town of Ede seemed to have no restaurants open on a Monday night and no one seemed to know where we could try so we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant as the soup had been good the night before. There were only two other occupied tables in the restaurant. We had 3 courses, everything was presented very well and the two female wait staff were very good and friendly. The starter seemed OK but the main courses were questionable. Mine included some tired looking prawns and other bits which tasted unusual - I gave my partner a taste and he agreed, so I did not eat any more. The dessert was a trio of desserts one of which was supposed to be panna cotta it looked odd - sort of shrivelled up and tasted wrong – we ate some of that but wished we hadn't. That night my partner was up most of the night with a very bad stomach pains, and I was violently ill 6 times with agonising stomach pains most of the day. I could not eat anything again for a couple days.

The staff: The bar and wait staff were good, very friendly, efficient and helpful. The receptionists were polite and friendly, just not the most helpful. On check out day the card payment machine was not working and the receptionist asked us to pay cash – we refused but she took some details and we were relieved the correct payment was taken later with no problems.

Overall I would never want to stay here again. If we hadn't needed to be in the area for business we would not have stayed here, it is worth noting that we would not generally stay at 3-star hotels, so it may be my perception that is flawed. Some reviewers say it all comes down to the room you get – but no matter how good the room, the horrible smell that pervades the whole place, the general ambiance and decor, and of course the mosquitos have put us off for life. Don't say you have not been warned! Trouble is where else can people stay in this area?…

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Riley, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The hotel staff was very friendly but fairly clueless about how to solve very small problems and had to confer with each other on every little question I had about their hotel, restaurant, bar, and attractions/shops near to them. I travel a lot and without exception, this hotel room was the crappiest and most run-down I've ever stayed in, even by European standards. Small thing, but they still use actual keys with a really heavy fob attached and there is no way to muffle the noise of unlocking your door (which is super loud with the key and lock mechanism) so surely I woke people up in my corridor when I came in late. Plus, people also know when you leave your room, which makes me uncomfortable. The food in the restaurant is only okay. The bar was fun for a couple of hours because they had a popular local jazz singer there that night, but otherwise it's pretty dull. It is a ~10 minute walk to shops. but since I went walking on a Sunday afternoon everything was closed which is typical of most towns in Europe. I've staying in the Netherlands in much nicer places, I recommend doing some research to find a better place than this to stay if you have to go to Ede.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Beek, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in Hotel De Paasberg with our 20 year old son. After visiting the hotels website we booked a family room for 2 nights.
Much to our surprise our room turned out to be nothing like the hotel adverstised.
Old rooms - we dreaded that the bed where our son had to sleep ( 75 kg's) would collapse during the night. There were multiple sockets lying throughout the room on the floor which could be very dangerous if travelling with young children.
The bathroom needed to be renovated even more badly - the shower curtain hadn't been replaced for months or longer!
They "forgot" to clean our room on the second day.
The only good things were the breakfast and dinner which we really enjoyed .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Swieqi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

Great hotel a few metres away from Ede's town centre and free parking. Helpful staff, Clean and spacious rooms and delicious breakfast. Nice lounge with relaxing music, free internet and good cocktails and cappuccinos. Internet in room is not free but I'd your laptop's card is strong enough you can connect to the reception's wifi A++++ hotel recommended.

• Stayed September 2010
Maastricht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We, a couple of 28 & 27, were pleased with our basement room (number 9).
It is refurbsihed. Room was pretty clean and was big enough.
Breakfast was reasonable and included in the price.
Staff is friendly and smiley.
Not all the rooms are really new, so you have to be or lucky or ask for a room change when you don't like it (that is what we did).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Restaurant De Paasberg? Share your experiences!