The rooms, pool & wellness area are excellent, which can also be said about the staff. Everything concerning the lodging facilities are among the best you can expect from a 4****-star hotel, BUT…
My first TripAdvisor review for this hotel already mentioned some concerns about the food & beverage department, unfortunately this “message” didn’t reach the hotels management as things have only deteriorated.
As there are no decent restaurants in the direct area of the hotel, guests are “condemned” to dine at the onsite restaurant. Compared to other van der Valk hotelrestaurants this one has a limited menu, with higher prices for lower quality. Besides the food issues, diningroom service left to be desired during our first evening; our waiter was very absent and totally forgot our order, when we addressed this to one of his co-workers she checked the orders and immediately brought our dinner entrees from the kitchen where they had been waiting for delivery. Our second restaurant visit the service was better, but the food quality once more disappointed which also was the case when we attended the so-called Live Cooking Event. The separed TripAdvisor-page for the restaurant confirms my disappointment: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g652224-d2356237-Reviews-or20-Van_der_Valk_Hotel_Duiven_bij_Arnhem_A12-Duiven_Gelderland_Province.html#REVIEWS
I sincerely hope this hotels management wakes up any time soon, so that the restaurant will be up to par with the excellent lodging facilities.
Scores from 0 to 10:
- General impression: 10 (Beautiful new building)
- Overall cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
- Check-in process: 10 (Swift)
- Front desk staff: 10 (Very friendly and professional)
- Other staff: 10 (Excellent, except restaurant)
- Room size: 10 (If only all hotelrooms could be like this!)
- Room decor: 10 (Contempory)
- Room condition: 10 (As good as new)
- Room cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
- Room value/money: 10 (Depends on package)
- Bed size: 10 (King, made of two singles, extra long)
- Bed linens: 08 (Standard white hotel linens)
- Bed comfort: 08 (Very good support, not hard)
- Bed condition: 10 (As good as new)
- Bed cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
- Breakfast room: 10 (Full service restaurant)
- Breakfast price: 10 (Complimentary for us, otherwise €12,50 p.p.)
- Breakfast items: 09 (Extensive choice, less than other vdValks)
- Breakfast service: 06 (Slooow… lots of empty food trays)
- Breakfast value/money: 07 (Complimentary for us, otherwise fair value)
- Pool size: 10 (More than adequate for this size hotel)
- Pool towels: 10 (Large & thick, plenty provided)
- Pool condition: 10 (As good as new)
- Pool cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
- Pool temperature: 06 (Was cold because of recent refilling)
- Wellness size: 10 (Above average for this hotelsize)
- Wellness towels: 10 (Large & thick, plenty provided)
- Wellness condition: 10 (Excellent)
- Wellness cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
- Wellness equipment: 10 (Footbaths, steamroom & dry saunas)
- Fitness size: 09 (More than adequate for this hotelsize)
- Fitness towels: 10 (Large & thick, plenty provided)
- Fitness condition: 10 (Excellent)
- Fitness equipment: 10 (Treadmill, bike, elliptical, etc…)
- Fitness cleanliness: 10 (Excellent)
My personal opinion: Highly recommended hotel, poor restaurant.
My overall satisfaction: Hotel 110%, the restaurant may prevent returning.
How I rate…
- 5°°°°° Is only given to an excellent hotel/restaurant that has widely exceeded my expectations compared to its price or hotel category / brand, where staff & management go above and beyond the call of duty to provide their patrons an experience they will never forget.
- 4°°°° indicates a very good to excellent property that has provided me everything I was hoping for at the time of booking. Where staff & management make sure that patrons get their money’s worth.
- 3°°° is average to good, or something gave cause for minor disappointment.
- 2°° accommodation is far below my expectations and/or staff was rude.
- 1° STAY AWAY !!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Venere, Odigeo, Hotel.de and Tingo so you can book your Van der Valk Hotel Duiven reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.