“Was better the first time we stayed in 2005” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Graaf Bernstorff to your Saves list
Hotel Graaf Bernstorff
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Reeweg 1, Schiermonnikoog, The Netherlands   |
Melbourne
“Was better the first time we stayed in 2005”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are lovely, location very central, handy to everything, but the food was so disappointing compared to our first visit in 2005. Would think twice before booking here again, sadly. This is a beautiful island so hope to return; hoping the food improves for our third time lucky?

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We took the Bernstorff arrangement, two nights, Monday and Tuesday, for 440 euros for two persons. They gave us a nice room with a great view, but we were very disappointed by the dinner the service is just so un professional! When we arrived, our name was not on the "list" for dinner, but they found us a table quickly. The mushroom soup was good, but a little salty and moreover an easy choice. The waiter forgot to ask what we wanted to drink. The main course was just not good: a greasy schnitzel, with 2 tagliatelli and some uncooked (!) tasteless vegetables. The dessert was choco mousse but it was not cold. The last time we stayed here two years ago we were satisfied, that is why we came back. We saw that Bernstorff opened another restaurant on the island, perhaps they put all the energy and good staff there....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

No doubt this is the best place to stay in Schiermonnikoog. It has the best restaurant, the best location and probably the friendliest staff. You will indulge in a fantastic breakfast which features a rarity in Dutch hotels: smoked salmon and (almost) full english breakfast.

However... it is not all bliss. Rooms are so-so: furniture with stains or tears, very small tv, beds are very basic small single beds. As we spent most time touring the island on bike or lazing at the beach, this did not bother us too much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
nijmegen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights with our family (2 adults, 3 children) in a hotel apartment in Graaf Bernstorff. If you like exploring nature and bicycling, this is a wonderful place. It is very relaxing to spend a few days without traffic! The island has a beautiful beach and extensive dunes, and also some lakes with birds, rabbits etc.
Graaf Bernstorff is in the middle of the village. The terrace is the best of the island. The restaurant serves really nice quite sophisticated food, not cheap but really tasty. Breakfast is excellent with a good choice of nice bread, fresh fruit, yoghurts, and good coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs have a little terrace where you can enjoy the sun.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a treat my parents gave me, a 3 days stay in Hotel Graaf Bernstorff on the Dutch Island of Schiermonnikoog. My friend and I had such a relaxing time, biking over the island, visiting the incredible beaches and even a small forest, what a place to get away from it all in my own country. The hotel is excellent, quiet rooms, great food and friendly staff. Bikes included. We loved the bunker museum and can recommend the seashell museum, beautiful shells from all over the world (and of course the island) and expained with such passion by the owner who found these shells all with his family, what a life!

Room Tip: location closer to the beach in Bernstorff aan Zee but rather worn down, best stay in Graaf Bernstor...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We went to Schiermonikoog for my birthday weekend last year. It's an absolutely gorgeous island with fantastic, expansive beaches and great cycling paths.

I had heard good things about this hotel so I called ahead to reserve a room for 2 for the weekend. Prices seemed extreme so I asked if I could put a room on hold and still cancel if required. They said yes as long as it was within a certain time limit.

I hadn't paid yet so I decided to look around at competitive prices. The same day, I found a rate online stating that there was a deal for 2 nights lodging at this same hotel in an apartment that included breakfast, 1x 3 course dinner on Saturday evening and a bike rental for 2 people for a total of 380 Euros. I quickly called back the hotel inquiring about this deal. They made it VERY difficult and even yelled at me for inquiring after they found out I already had a room booked.

I told them with this kind of treatment, I preferred to cancel. A few hours later, I got a call back from the same person, stating that she would give me the rate I asked for as there seems to have just been some "communications mixup". I ended up taking the deal since they made the effort to call me back and try. However, I did feel like it could have been handled a lot more professionally by just giving the best deal to the customer right from the start, or else allowing me to take the deal after I found out about it.

In terms of the hotel itself, here's what we thought about it:

PROS
Bus service to and from the ferry provided by the hotel. Excellent.
Delicious dinner with a great selection of wines.
Central location.
Bikes provided for the day were in good condition.
Size of the apartment was good (2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen & small living room).
Nice small outdoor balcony attached to the apartment. Great for quiet morning coffees.

CONS
Old apartment in need of an upgrade.
Small, TV with hardly any channels
Uncomfortable beds & pillows.

Overall, we had a great time because we spent most of the weekend outdoors and very much enjoyed the nice dinner at the Graaf Bernstorff. However, it wouldn't have been worth the money for the normal rate they charge.

Room Tip: Look up every possible deal you can online before you book the standard rate. Call ahead and negoti...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Holsbeek, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We can only say positive things about the Hotel Graaf (Count) Bernstorff on the island of Schiermonnikoog. We booked an arrangement which included 2 nights in a luxury room or a flat, with breakfast, a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival, a three-course dinner, two bikes, an information packet, a coffee and a Bernstorff herbal liquor. We were given a flat for five persons, so really spacious for the two of us. There was a living room with a dining and a sitting area, open plan kitchen, with plenty of cutlery, pots & pans and kitchen equipment, a built-in dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. Separate toilet. Decent bathroom with bath/shower and washbasin. Two bedrooms with comfortable beds and nice linen. Also a balcony. Other guests showed us their luxury double room, which was also spacious and very nicely furnished. Wireless internet is accessible from the lounge and library. Everything is very clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a verandah which is heated on chilly days. There is a varied breakfast buffet, with plenty of good quality food. The stylish restaurant also serves excellent dishes.
A free bus shuttle from Hotel Bernstorff takes you from the ferry terminal to the hotel, which is situated right in the centre of the village. Across the street is a small but handy supermarket. We can definitely recommend this hotel and Schiermonnikoog. The carfree island (but lots of bikes!) is a unique experience. It was our second stay in this hotel, and it won't be the last.

Room Tip: There is no lift to the apartments, so choose one on the ground floor if you are less mobile.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Graaf Bernstorff? Share your experiences!