“Youth Hostel style comfort at a four star price!” 1 of 5 stars

Got a photo?
Add it.
You added Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe to your Saves list
Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parallelweg 25 (t.o. N.S. station Meppel), 7941 HH Meppel, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppel
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Youth Hostel style comfort at a four star price!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Here are the good bits about this hotel:
It is in the centre of town, across the road from the railway, parking is free (you'll struggle to find paid parking in this part of the Netherlands), the rooms were reasonably clean and at no point in time did I fear my own safety or that of those around me.

On to the bad bits:
Although the interior isn't falling apart, I'd bet it hasn't been touched since the 70s (when it appears to have been built). The rooms are tiny, so are the bathroom and the tv. Breakfast is laughable. I know this is in the Netherlands, but bacon/sausage/etc are nowhere to be seen (am I expecting too much from a two-star hotel?). There are (hard-boiled) eggs. If you can find them. It's all self-service, i.e. find everything yourself, including the aforementioned (and well-hidden) eggs.
Apparently, keys are to be collected elsewhere and during my stay I did not see a reception or a receptionist.
To be fair, there wasn't anything really wrong with this hotel. Except the price. 80 euros per night for this?? You must be joking! I've stayed in better hotels in London or Paris for that kind of money. This isn't London or Paris, it's Meppel. There are other reviews on www.booking.com and they seem to agree with me. It defies belief that this place gets so many bookings, or any at all, for that matter.
All in all, I would avoid this hotel unless they drastically reduce their price (by half I'd say) and/or yoú're desperate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank iron_maker

Been to Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe

Address: Parallelweg 25 (t.o. N.S. station Meppel), 7941 HH Meppel, The Netherlands
Location: The Netherlands > Drenthe Province > Meppel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppel
Price Range (Based on Average Rates):
Hotel Class:2 star — Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort van Drenthe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hotel Cafe Restaurant De Poort Van Drenthe Meppel, The Netherlands