“4 day holiday break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kaktus Albir

Save Saved
You added Hotel Kaktus Albir to your Saves list
Hotel Kaktus Albir
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de las Estrellas 11 | Playa del Albir, 03581 L'Alfas del Pi, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in L'Alfas del Pi
Belfast, United Kingdom
“4 day holiday break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

stayed at hotel kaktus for 4 nights. in early june did enjoy our stay here food was varied but well cooked. rooms were very clean and the furnishings were first class. the balconys were a bit close together and not very private. but you could sunbathe on the roof garden and also have a dip in the pool with great views over albir. found the bar staff quite friendly. read in previous reviews where a lot of english people came to this hotel with saga group. not available for us as we came from belfast. i booked with low cost holidays and the transfers from and to the airport were all on time. found albir to be a lovely quiet place with nice pavement bars and cafes all busy at night time would go back to this hotel and albir.

Room Tip: a high floor as you can see more.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed for a week in April on a B&B basis.The hotel's location right on the seafront (it's not much of a beach,all big pebbles and rocks) is great,with fantastic sea views,the sunrise over the mountain at Calpe is breathtaking.The rooms are spacious and comfortably furnished,maybe a little chintzy.Plenty of wardrobe and storage space.A nice little balcony,hence the fab views. The bathroom large,clean,and modern,but the shower temperature and pressure was a bit temperamental.You had to may to use the fridge,you had to pay to use the in-room safe, something I had not really come across before,and Wifi was a whopping 12 or 15Euros per day..needless to say we did not use it.For the price of a drink you got got free Wifi at the Aussie bar two minutes walk away.The buffet breakfast was pretty good, a wide choice of cold and hot dishes.Some of the best choices like serrano ham were gone quick and not replenished,though,and the quality of the fruit was not that great,but overall it was pretty good.The hotel seems to be a favourite with Saga customers,but at the weekend a lot of Spanish people stayed, and they delivered some fantastic hot,hot ballroom dancing. We stayed as part of a cricket club tour (hotel is very close to the ground), otherwise Albir is a very quiet place,a lovely but not very Spanish place.Overall I enjoyed it and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Keflavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights in may 2012... ive stayed in a few 4 star hotels in my life and i can tell you this is no 4 star hotel...... the staff in the lobby were rude and not so helpful, in our booking we had half board and the food was ok nothing more than that, allthough i did like the breakfast. The garden is very small and only fits a few people on sunbeds. Staff at the bar didnt once server us or any one else sitting outside but yet when you went to the bar they wanted tip.

In our room which was really small for 2 adults and 2 children ( age 1 and 6 ) nothing was ready upon arrival... You have to pay to use the minibar ( 10 euros ) and for the safe its 15 euros. The beds were aweful !!!

Location is great... and the hotel is really clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Keflavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

When we came there with two children, they had no bedding prepared for them and because we were checking in late (2am) there was nothing they could do. The next day the guy in the lobby said that there was a confusion with our booking and refused to give us a baby cot or have the hotel staff make up the extra bed (the sofabed) for our 6 year old, because it was Sunday, he said we had to wait until Monday, when our travel agency opened!! This was not what I expected from a 4 star hotel.

The beds in the hotel room were awful, the sofabed was more comfortable!

We had breakfast and dinner included in our stay and I wish we hadn´t because the food was not good.

The garden and swimming pool is really small

Only positive was that the hotel is clean and it is right on the beach

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husband and I along with our daughter stayed at the Kaktus for the second time April 10th until May 8th,we love this hotel,so much so ,we are going back for a third time later this year.
Apart from the fact that we had 150 young socialists in the hotel one week end for a convention and who kept us and other guests awake until 3am for two nights with their shouting and screaming it was a lovely holiday.
The food is excellent,such a variety and the theme nights,British fare on a Tuesday,Norwegian Thursday,Sea food Friday and Tapas on Saturday are wonderful. We found the staff to be very pleasant,in the dining room Miriam who speaks excellent English is so nice and Jose,William,Janet ,Paco and Juan all deserve a mention as do the bar staff,Juan number two,Ignacio,Benny and the others were very friendly toward us.Yes you do have to get the Saga inclusive drinks at one end of the bar, no problem though,not true that you have to sit in a certain place,you can sit any where in the lounge and tv room with your drinks.
Some thing worth mentioning was that the hotel started providing free Wi Fi whilst we were there which was a great help to our daughter who had her lap top with her.
Some of the balconies in the centre of the hotel do face each other but we ask for a room on the outside of the building and which ever room you have you get a lovely view of the ocean and beach.
We had no problem with the front desk either,Christian was so very helpful,even taking charge of my iron until our next visit,remember folks,the smile that you give is the smile that you get.
I think that we were on our twenty fifth Saga holiday and this is the only hotel that we will have stayed at three times,the lovely representative Valentina who'm we have had at four different times in different Saga hotels contributed greatly to our enjoyment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Where to begin with the awful experience I had at this hotel. I have just spent a week at this hotel after much confusion over bookings and prices. It took 3 attempts to make the booking (after an attempt to charge me an extra €400 to original quote). I advised the lady I could book elsewhere for the original quote and the booking was confirmed at last.

Arriving at 9.45 pm with a hungry 3 year old i was told there was no food to be got anywhere in the hotel ( dinner claims to be served until 10pm ). Other guests travelling on the same flight did however have food available to them. I encountered the rudest receptionist ever. When asked could he recommend anywhere to eat locally he simply shrugged "not my problem".

Rooms were ok, not by any means luxurious. I requested a ground floor or lower floor as I was travelling with a young child, we were on the 5th floor. Balconies are almost on top of each other and we were unlucky that ours had no sunlight after 11 am. Very disappointing but not to blame on the hotel.

Fridge cost 10 euro to unlock - for a 4 star hotel this is strange. it is by no means child friendly, the advertisement is very misleading re pools and seating areas. When I did venture to the tiny lagoon at the front of the hotel, we found a dead baby bird floating along beside us, the roof terrace pool wasnt much cleaner.

The staff were outrageously rude, the worst I have ever encountered. We were like aliens from outer space. The spanish guests were showered with attention, when I approached the reception desk ( the few times I attempted to ) I was barely acknowledged nor were my requests dealt with.

I have to say the highlight for us was the food, good variety and good quality. This in no way excuses the negatives. Would never return to this hotel nor recommend it. The local area is beautiful and thankfully I focussed my attention on exploring the area and enjoying the fantastic weather we got.

I was amazed to see a tripadvisor 4 star rating proudly displayed at reception, my experience was dreadfully negative.

Room Tip: I would request the "altea" suites, these seem to get maximum sun exposure. Also there is...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kaktus Albir? Share your experiences!