“Brilliant holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Platja d'Aro
co durham
“Brilliant holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

To say I was nervous about staying in this hotel is an understatement. After reading all the bad reviews I was very apprehensive. We booked a last minute deal through the teletext holidays website. The travel company was Sun4U and we paid £288 each for AI and transfers. For some reason we flew to Barcelona when Girona is much nearer. We had to go to the resort hoppa office and were taken to the coach. We had to wait about 45 minutes for other flights to arrive and were then driven to Lloret where we had to get off the coach and wait for a mini bus to take us to the hotel. This all went without a hitch. The reception was large and had plenty of seating areas. We had to leave a 5 euros deposit for safe key, (it said 15 euro on paperwork) and 3 euros a day charge. The room was large and clean, maybe somewhat dark. Bathroom was large, bright and clean with ample towels which were changed every day. Tv had eurosport and cnn which is usually the only english speaking channels hotels have.The first two nights it just seemed at the bar people just pushed there way in but after that they all started forming orderly queues, that was much better for us AND the bar staff, who were mostly all ok. We were allowed to get 2 drinks each. In the restaraunt you could sit where you wanted. The food was average for a Spanish hotel, I always managed to find something I liked. At breakfast the hot water for making tea and coffee wasn't very hot so we just zapped it in the microwave. The staff in there were very nice, especially a young man with dread locked hair. As said before in other reviews you didn't get a glass of wine, you got a bottle. And the Rose was lovely. You could take the bottle out with you and even pop back for another! The pool was freezing but thats because we went end of season. Some brave children went in and enjoyed it. The pool bar was closed, but every hotel I have been in late season close the pool bar. If I had paid more for this holiday I might have been miffed because that is where you got snacks, but there was a supermarket a few minutes away where you could buy crisps etc for snacks, so that wasn't a problem.The beach was warmer than the pool area, and the sea did drop quite suddenly but 2 minutes to the left was a super little cove. Much safer for children. It was absolutely gorgeous. Hubby saw an octopus in the rocks, it was brilliant for snorkelling. The walk both ways is lovely but especially the walk to the left, the views are spectacular, but not suitable for pushchairs and small children (danger, danger....). We went to the English bar, but got out as soon as we could, as the guy who owned it just moaned on about how awful it was there. And on the toilet wall there was graffiti saying caleta palace awful, this bar good. I suspect the owners did it, it was all dreadfully organised for graffitti! 96% of the guests at the hotel were English and we met some really lovely people who added to our lovely holiday. Its not for people who want English bars on every corner, there were hardly any tack shops, it was lovely. Maybe the staff were nicer to us as it was end of season and mostly full of Brits, I don't know, but we would go back again. We had a lovely time. You must ring the transfer people the day before you leave, even if your name is up on the list! Take your mobile.We were picked up by a Merc! from hotel, dropped off at Lloret again and picked up by coach. The Easyjet check in is in terminal B. You can go straight to gate, not like our airports. I want to go back, I miss it so much.

• Liked — location,meeting lovely people
  • Disliked — the surly girl behind the bar
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

After reading some of the reviews on here I was dreading my stay at Caleta Palace! I've now come to the conclusion that some people will always find something to have a moan about!
We had a lovely week there!
The rooms were spotless, due to the maids that came in every day. The food was good, although a wider variety would have been nice it was better than most all-inclusive deals.
The staff were polite, despite having to deal with rude, greedy guests (I'm ashamed to say most of whom were Brits!). Entertainment was thin on the ground, but what do you expect at the end of the season?? The drinks were plentiful, though there was a 2-drinks-at-a-time rule (probably to discourage loutish behaviour, no doubt!)
The pool was clean, though cold at this time of year, and the terrace and gardens were well kept.
The view from the terrace and poolside was stunning! Blue sea and clean (shingle) beach.
The main strip outside has shops for all budgets, including a very good supermarket.
Nightlife tends not to get lively until around 12am, but Club Gib has a good mix of ages for those looking to let their hair down.
All in all, we had a great holiday, and I'd certainly go back to this hotel!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The moaners!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

I read all the reviews before booking at the Caleta Palace and I know you cant please everyone and went with an open mind. We arrived late at night and could not get any food or drink as all inclusive had finished at 11pm. Our room was very small but clean and we had to live out of our cases for the week (as not much storage), upon asking for a different room was told by the Manager 10 euros each per night so did not bother as was not planning to spend our time in the room.

We found the staff very anti-english and regardless of this always was polite and well mannered to them... it made no difference they were rude with no manners.

The food was awful and cold and believe me I am not a fussy eater. You had to get in when it was replenished for'hot' food.
Could not believe that for an all incl hotel there was only one bar open and apparently this is because it was cool even though the hotel was full! and at 11pm the bar stops even if you have been queing.

We also had some jewellery 'dissapear' and when reporting this to the Manager was told that they were not responsible for anything not in the safety deposit box.

The transfer to the hotel booked with Sun4u was ridiculous, we were transferred from Barcelona which should have taken an hour and half and took three hrs on the way there with having to change coaches, the same applied for the way back only this time we were picked up at 1.15pm for a 10.15pm flight and had a 7hr wait at the airport so if booking with them i would check this with them.

Overall the worst holiday we have ever had!

• Liked — coming home
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Just came back from a week's stay at the Caleta Palace with my boyfriend. Was a bit worried after reading all the reviews, but have to stay we absolutely loved it there. The Hotel is in a perfect location right on the beach, which is beautiful and the sea has lots of waves and amazing views. The location of the hotel is brilliant, you can walk everywhere - its a very spanish resort so there was no english bars, so unlike a lot of other holidays had a very spanish feel to it.

The Food I thought was really good, they have a big selection of meat and fish and different potatoes and salads - some spanish dishes which I really enjoyed we ate out a couple of nights as there are lots of nice restaurants to choose from. Having stayed in a lot of All inclusive hotels in Turkey and Greece, I thought the food and drinks was better here (you can get a bottle of wine to go with your meal!). Also lots of drinks to choose from baileys, spirits and may I suggest the malibu and pineapple. The staff can seem sometimes abrubt, but I put it down to they dont speak much english and they are very busy and it seems understaffed.

We upgraded to a sea view room for the last 3 nights, which cost us 10 euros each per night. I would have to say worth every penny, the views were spectacular and we spent a lot of time on our balcony (even bringing breakfast up in the morning!)

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, I have done a lot of travelling and think this was excellent value for money, we booked through Sun 4 U and had no problems whatsoever. If you do have children probably best to go in the season, but if you are like us a couple just after some sun, relaxation and good location, do it you wont be disappointed,

• Disliked — location
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Like many of you I was dreading going to this hotel after I had booked a last-minute deal and I read the reviews. I agree with many of the comments, but here's a summary I hope will present a balanced view;

Good points:
- The Location is excellent, the Camì de Ronda (coastal path) takes you from the beach to some lovely coves up the coast
- The food was plentiful and above average for a 3-star
- Most of the staff were very helpful
- The room we had was more than adequate with a huge balcony, cleaned every day with towel-changes daily
- The value for money - given the strength of the Euro the price was excellent.

Bad points:
- When we arrived we were unable to get anything to eat despite having been in-transit for 10hrs (from home) Make sure you come prepared or eat on the plane!
- The entertainment advertised had vanished - presumably only the week before as it was coming to the end of the season
- Pool bar was closed even though the hotel appeared to be pretty full making queues for drinks after dinner very long
- The hotel has become a haven for many loud, tatooed and unpleasant drunken Brits who have no manners, I witnessed obnoxious behaviour towards bar and restaurant staff. No wonder some of them are kurt and rude. This was not the case for those who tried to communicate in Spanish or Catalan - even learning a simple please and thank-you is adviseable.
- Nothing to do with the hotel per se, but the location is more than 80 miles from Barcelona airport, Sun4U provided very complex transfers from Barcelona Airport using the ResortHoppa and taxi/minibus from Lloret de Mar. If you are thinking of travelling here can I suggest Girona airport is much more accessible.

So there you have it - like many of you I had an OK time bighted mainly by the people. There's a lot of anti-British sentiment at this hotel but given the behaviour of many of the guests I am not surprised. I won't be coming back for this reason.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbours
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

do not go to this hotel ,the staff are so rude do not waste time reading other reviews . the area shuts down from the 14 september there was no trips no local transport , the pool bar did not open once we went for a week so there were no food or ice cream for the children only when the restaurant was open the food was ok . we went and stayed in another hotel for the last two nights

• Liked — coming home
  • Disliked — the staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

Food was OK, there for 10 days so started to get a bit repetitive. If you time it right the food is hot (when it has recently been replenished). Bottles of wine are served at meal times. Coffee served in impractical plastic cups so tended to purchase same coffee just to get a proper cup (which was safer).
Rooms were nice - clean, good decor order, large enough, bathroom ok (bath and shower), a/c.
Resort was lovely, slightly up-market, lots of shops. Area felt like a weekend getaway for wealthy spaniards. British treated as second class people.

• Liked — Was average and OK for the money paid (less than £300 for 10 days for 2 all inclusive)
  • Disliked — Other nationalities were prioritised - as British tourists we felt like 2nd class citizens
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to H TOP Caleta Palace? Share your experiences!