“Overview of holiday” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Monica Playa Blanca

You added Royal Monica Playa Blanca to your Saves list
Royal Monica Playa Blanca
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C./ Irlanda N01, 35500 Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Spain (Formerly Club Calimera Royal Monica Playa Blanca)   |
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Norwich
“Overview of holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

This is my 2nd visit to Playa Blanca which I booked through U Look U book. On their website it had 4 star or equivalent stated for the hotel Royal Monica. When I arrived the official rating for hotel was 3 star with a nice crack in front door window and a badly painted front entrance. Apart from myself and one other the hotel had mainly German guests. There was no porter to show you to your room in which I had to walk down a flight of steps with my suitcase. I struggled to find my room and after about half an hour and feeling abit frustrated a gardener pointed out the entrance to my my room which had front door only back patio doors to gain access. Air conditioning was a fan in the ceiling and there was no fridge to store water. To hire a remote control for T.V you had to pay a euro 10 dep which was returnable but apart from BBC world news ithe channels were either in German or Spanish. To hire a beach towel a dep of euro 15 was required again was refundable. If you wantd to change your towel a cost of 0.50 cence was required. The animation team were brilliant and worked really hard all day with just a Saturday off. Again they were German but made me feel very welcome after discovering I wasn't German. When the entertainment was on they only spoke in German but once I mentioned this they helped by speaking english! It was maybe my fault that I didn't do my homework enough on this hotel. The distance into Playa Blanca is 45-60 mins into town. You can get the bus which is 10 mins walk from hotel cost Euro 1.20 and a taxi cost Euro 4.50-5 set fee. The food in the hotel was good but again did cater alot for Germans with those frankfurter sausages yuk! They only had paella once in one week but did have different themes every night with the best being around the world the night before going home in which they had paella. The staff were very friendly and always plenty of food available. I thought my room was pretty basisc and dull. The mattress on the bed was rock hard and pillows also. The shower was very good. In my opinion this hotel is definitely a 3 star. It wasn't the worst I had stayed in but definitely wasn't the best. I thought the money I paid would of got me a 4 star but hey life is all about learning. I think U Look U Book ought to re assess their official ratings for hotels and be more realistic what they offer!

Hope this helps...

Room Tip: Within hotel or seaview
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I went here as a last minute thing in august. We had a fantastic time. Playa Blanca is a great resort and the hotel was nice too. Its not 4 star however its a very enjoyable and comfortable 3 star. My boyfriend and I are quite picky too! However, we always managed to get a good meal, lots of choice! And changed frequently (although the desserts stayed the same). There was always salad bar, abundant with choice, then meat and fish etc cooked in front of you.

The hotel room was large. The bed was massive. The bathroom was large too. Private balcony with chairs etc looking out over the sea - Beautiful. Views of fuetraventura (which i recommend a day visit too!). The room was cleaned daily. We often left money and belongings out so very trust worthy staff. The maids were friendly even though they didnt speak much English. The room was always beautifully clean when we came back.

The hotel had a lovely private beach, where you can snorkel swim etc. The pool is nice too, but we preferred the beach and sea right next to it! Along side the hotel was a sea wall which streched along the side of the coast. From here you could walk into the center of Playa Blanca. Its quite a walk, so we go a taxi there which is around 5 euros. However we took some lovely walks along the sea wall in the evening after dinner, which let to some nice cocktail bars. Just off of this is an English bar which shows the football too.

The hotel entertainment was mainly in german, however they did speak english and spanish too. The hotel entertainment wasnt great, but mainly aimed at families and not early 20s like my boyfriend and I. This didnt hinder our holiday as the hotel had another bar. The all drinks and food are all all inclusive, and too my suprise the alcohol was not weakened down at all. The cocktails were very strong! (I wasnt complaining - neither was the bf!)

Overall we had a great holiday. Would def go back! I recommend going on a couple of excursions - the volcano tour was really good! And we got a boat over to north fuerteventura, where the beaches are amazing!!

Have a lovely holiday!! x

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wirral
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Calimera Monica for 2 nights, a German owned and run hotel. Firstly lets talk about the good stuff before going on to the "areas for improvement". The facilities are good and there is lots to do for kids including well organised activities and enthusiastic entertainment team. Generally the staff are very helpful and the resort is well kept. It is an all inclusive resort , our first experience. There is space round the pool and lots of areas on the beach that are set out for guests. The food is typically buffet but there are items cooked on a plancha which are very good. Our check in was marred by a faulty door unit and overall it took an hour to get into our room; however, the sea view from our suite was superb. Now for the areas for improvement. We had a suite which was as described spacious. The bedroom was sparsely funished and the lounge area consisted of benches attached to the wall with foam mattresses. Very uncomfortable and more akin to a very old static caravan than a hotel, certainly not what could be called a hotel suite. How much does it cost to have a couple of cumfy chairs or a sofa. The food is ok apart from the almost undrinkable coffee. Talking of undrinkable I think the wine was part of a German conspiracy to undermine the Spanish wine industry. It was truly awful, red, white and rose just varied in colour. The other drinks were also just as bad. Thankfully the soft drinks and beer were ok. The hotel is aimed at family's but there are no places to sit and relax. One bar is for entertainment whicb is fine but the other resembles a village hall. Satellite TV was advertised, about 10 channels. Appalling reception and no channels to suit any nationality. We were so exasperated we engineered an escape and walked to a very pleasant bar with soft

Room Tip: top floor of any block
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We spent our holiday here in early august 2011 our only critisium of the hotel is that a little more could be done in the way of entertainment for the english as most of it was directed at the german clientel. Apart from this we found the whole holiday perfect for us its placed in a quiet spot about 2 to 3 miles outside the town of playa blanca which takes approx 1 hour to walk to straight along the sea front or costs about 5 euro in a taxi which is worth a visit its a small town with many shops and resturants. if you like to stay at the complex there is events taking place all day for the children and adults alike run by the entertainment team. There is food and drink available from 7.30 a.m till midnight each day. There are themed days in the resturants but always plenty of variety so always plenty to choose from and cooked to a high stantard. BUT I CAN ONLY STRESS THIS COMPLEX IS ONLY SUITABLE IF YOU LIKE QUIET AND PEACEFULL HOLIDAYS AS IT IS DEFINATLY IN A QUIET PART OF THE TOWN. (ENJOY).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

Fantastic Holiday, great food, lovely people, superb location, staff give there best at all times, would specially like to say a big thankyou to all in the animation team who were great spirited individuals & helped to make our holiday more special, to mention just a few of their names :- Kai, Chris, Flo(pay the public), Yase, Bj, Desi, Sandra, Katha.
Thanks for a super stay.

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Royal Monica Playa Blanca 3 dirty stars hotel. Decent food, nice staff, very low standard, with an average clean room. You have to pay for safe, internet, water to take away, a pledge for a remote control for tv etc. True beach about 30 mins walk. British rating 4+ stars :)) by www.Hotels4u.com. :))

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I went with my friend and was really worried after the reviews but the hotel was lovely and the food was really nice and a lot of it was freshly cooked in front of holidaymakers. Yes it was most definitely a German hotel and they have strange tastes in entertainment - and i do mean strange for example 'spit the ice cube' - to see who could in fact spit the ice cube the furthest !!! however the hotel was spotless inc the poolside toilets which were cleaned every half hour or so. The staff were by and large really nice and we had such a lovely holiday - the only down side is the none stop wind that was constantly blowing in from the mountain which towered over the site - so if you are happy with your own company then you have no worries whatsoever

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Monica Playa Blanca? Share your experiences!