“There's only one” 5 of 5 stars
Review of THB Tropical Island

You added THB Tropical Island to your Saves list
THB Tropical Island
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Fragata #2 | Urb Costa Papagayo, 35570 Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Spain (Formerly Sun Tropical Island Resort)   |
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Belfast
“There's only one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a time we had in Lanza. The food was good & plentiful, which suited me as I eat like a pig. I liked the self service kebab machine I saw on a lovely day trip to the neighbouring island of fueteventura. Well worth a visit, the island that is!

As for the entertainment team, what can I say they made my holiday! The scouse joey essex (lovely young steven), rachael (there's only one rachael!), gemma (lovely girl, funny seeing dizzy the dolphin chase her with a bucket of water!), blonde kim (her impression of a sealion for the poolside show of 'Sun Trops Got Talent', was Oscar winning!), Jen (me being a scouser, her manc accent was annoying but she was cool, loved her kanye dance)

Also Natalia the Receptionist call me ;-) one thing I will say, apartments were very clean & tidy, very impressed, well done cleaners on a great job! You deserve a medal. Would be nice if had Bungalows to stay in, now that would be cool.

I would highly reccomend a trip here

Lots of love

Kerry & John xx

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Dewsbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Second visit here though several years apart.this time took 4year old grand daughters. Self catering everything you need nice room nice location with nice gardens. Considering the size very quiet even being just across from one on the bars. All staff were very nice and friendly. Plenty of pools from big to small and several play areas for the kids.

Stayed November 2013
Karlskoga, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We've been here a week staying at this hotel, absolutely loved Lanzarote and the hotel was just absolute what we wanted. There are three restaurants, a pizzeria, tapas and chicken restaurant, after booking onto the tapas the last night, we had a nice evening there. Pizzerias and chicken we have in Sweden, so we saw no reason to book it in Lanzarote. The room was nice and spacious. Overall the hotel was OK and we could be returning, since the value was much higher than the price. The village of Playa Blanca is lovely if you want to outside the hotel area. The gym was as expected in a three star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Initially was allocated a room that was already occupied, was given another room which was very run down, could not get another room as hotel was full, had maintenance to repair leak through ceiling, room very tired, no maid service or clean towels until we complained.
Pool area was very good, great for families.
Food was very basic and not very nice, used poolside snack bar everyday which did not change from one day to another.
Had cockroach crawl across the table on the third night, ate out in town after that.
In summary we liked playa blanca, would highly recommend stone grill restaurant on the front.
Staff generally pleasant and good humoured.
Outside space was kept very clean unfortunately did not continue to inside rooms.
Shops and bars are about twenty mins walk or 4 euro in taxi.
Temperature in late October was very pleasant, breeze most of the time.
If you visit this hotel consider self catering
If I revisit lanzerote I would choose a different accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing one of the block swimming pools
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melton Mowbray
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week staying at this hotel, absolutely loved Lanzarote but the hotel was an absolute disappointment....where do I start.
Arrived at the hotel to be told the room was not ready and we should store our suitcases and belongings in their secure(unlocked and door wide open) storage room and go get some food in the canteen.
Now this is where it all started, greeted by dinner options such as goat chops, "pork" in sauce(pork being used loosely here, there was no pork in the dish...think more the bits of soggy skin and innards people throw away after roasting) soups that looked more like a vat of crude oil and cold chips(infact may I add, everything was cold, undercooked and disgusting)
There are three restaurants, a pizzeria, tapas and chicken restaurant(which was never open) after booking onto each thinking that they could surely be better, we were wrong.
Upon arrival at the pizzeria 10minutes before our booked time we were shouted at and told to come at the correct time, once sat down we waited about 15minutes before we even got asked what drink we would like, after that another half hour wait before we were asked our order...on arrival after what felt like a lifetime, was pretty much a Tesco value pizza. To add to all this, the atmosphere was horrendous...everyone asking each other how long they had been waiting, some couples completely being ignored and to too it all off, the waiter ordering a group to leave because he needed the table space to which a fight nearly broke out.
The tapas restaurant was a complete joke, only being able to order two dishes per person(which is fine) but you are then told that these "main dishes" are simply items on the salad bar to which you had to go collect yourself thus wasting your choices because anybody was free to collect from the salad bar, same with the paella(which was tepid)....to top it all off we had "breaded fish in champagne sauce", which sounded quite nice until tasting...the champagne sauce was essentially hot tuna mayo which nearly made us both vomit. Last but not least we had the "canary potatoes"(which we knew we liked as had tried before elsewhere) these were basically unwashed, muddy, furry new potatoes...we did not even try these as visually they turned our stomach so much we left to find food in town to which we subsequently did from then on.
Entertainment would be fine if you were lacking in the brain cell department and just wanted to get drunk by the pool/dome and be larey(may I add, the wine my partner was given was so off even smelling it made me feel ill)
The room was nice and spacious and would of suited our needs perfectly fine if it didn't have loads of little ants crawling all over the kitchen(on the worktops, cooker and even inside the kettle)
Majority of the staff were very rude and dismissive, very poorly managed. You could definitely get the impression that they were all overworked, underpaid and undervalued to which it definitely showed.
Overall the hotel was a massive letdown and we will never be returning or recommending which is a shame as upon first glance it looks great....loads of pools, spacious rooms, quite pretty, but further inspection reveals a much darker picture.
The resort of Playa Blanca is lovely which was a lifesaver as it was only a short walk into town to which you could buy edible food at a low price and deal with friendly local staff.
Advice would be if you are after all inclusive - go elsewhere, do NOT even contemplate this place.
And to any management that might respond to this I will not listen to the lies to which have been responded to previous unhappy quests, nothing has changed and for the foreseeable future I don't think ever will.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

At first, I was worried to be coming to Sun Tropical because of all the constant bad reviews, although there were some good ones. I was thinking about changing to some other hotel because of the bad reviews. Fortunately, this was one of my favourite holidays for me. Nothing too bad about it. I came with my family and my best friend's family, which altogether had a total of 9 people. We went only 1 week, which I soon regretted a lot. I did want to go for 2 weeks at the start. From 14/10/13 to 21/10/13 :)

Well, unlike other people which might have complained, our service at the reception was actually pretty decent. The woman that served us was reasonably nice and gave us some stuff to eat since the restaurant was closed at the time we arrived which is just about 9'ish. Unfortunately, it was a bottle of water, some sandwiches, yoghurt, and a piece of fruit. That was our late dinner and yes, we were starving after eating the snacks because they were of little portion and wasn't the best food... I guess there's no complaining though. There would've been nothing else she could've given us.

The rooms were reasonably tidy and clean, and just about had enough space for everyone. We slept comfortably during the night without any hassle.

The next morning, we were looking for quite a nice breakfast. The food in the canteen were alright, I suppose. But, I've definitely been to hotels with better food. Overall, lunch and dinner was just the same quality but there was a variety of options if that makes it any better. The dessert could've been a lot more nicer and have a lot more, quantity wise. It seemed that every time I went up, there would be nothing nice left. And the cooks would never refill the empty plate of desserts.

Anyway, moving on to the views of the hotel. It was overall very big, clean, eye-catching and nothing really bad about it. A lot of space, definitely. The pools were pleasantly clean and there was a lot of sun beds, but definitely get a good spot if you want one during the morning as it gets a lot busier and then you're left with the odd seats and no good spot...

The beach in this area was amazing. The water was clean, the sand was quite nice and thin, the scenery was beautiful and there was local shops/malls/restaurants up the stairs. Overall, quite a nice place.

Moving onto to the last subject which was my absolute favourite and highlighted my holiday : the entertainment. The entertainment team was brilliant during day AND night. They were all very friendly and yes, I did have my favourites out of them all. Kimberly B was very friendly + casual to people. Easily likable, and she was BRILLIANT when it came onto the night performances in the Entertainment Dome. She can sing AMAZINGLY. Steven was also a friendly guy and he was great at singing! Funny too :) DJ DVD was a great guy. He was very friendly to everyone, really nice and a bundle of fun! Rachael was a really nice girl too and she was friendly to everyone. It was easy to talk to her :) Jen was great also! Friendly and nice to talk to too!

And last of all, my most favourite entertainer of all : Lizzy. She completely made my holiday. Super friendly, down to earth, a really nice girl, really helpful. She was like, one of my new best friends! Lots of fun, funny, never hesitated over anything and a good person to talk to, haha ;'D

The main part that I miss from the holiday is the Entertainment team. They were my main highlight! Overall, this holiday was brilliant! :D

Review : Complete.

Spencer Shek :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

The size of the complex is massive there's 16 pools to choose from 2 dining areas a pizzarea,shop,laundrette,bar,entertainment dome,pool bar,buffet snack bar the complex is lovly to walk around and well kept there ate plenty of sun loungers round the pools aswell and a pool bar and snack buffet it's not too far a walk to the beach and town but there's a free bus if u don't want to walk the staff were very friendly and cheerfull u really enjoyed our stay here and will defo be going again next year our 20 month old son loved it too plenty of things for the little 1s to do our accommodation was great we had a large living room / kitchen area a big bathroom and a double size bedroom they even provided a travel cot for our son the bedding/towels were changed regularly and room cleaned overall a fantastic holiday and hotel the wether was awesome too

• Stayed November 2013

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!