“Great entertainment and fun! Brilliant overall. Don't listen to the bad reviews...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of THB Tropical Island

You added THB Tropical Island to your Saves list
THB Tropical Island
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Fragata #2 | Urb Costa Papagayo, 35570 Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Spain (Formerly Sun Tropical Island Resort)   |
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

At first, I was worried to be coming to Sun Tropical because of all the constant bad reviews, although there were some good ones. I was thinking about changing to some other hotel because of the bad reviews. Fortunately, this was one of my favourite holidays for me. Nothing too bad about it. I came with my family and my best friend's family, which altogether had a total of 9 people. We went only 1 week, which I soon regretted a lot. I did want to go for 2 weeks at the start. From 14/10/13 to 21/10/13 :)

Well, unlike other people which might have complained, our service at the reception was actually pretty decent. The woman that served us was reasonably nice and gave us some stuff to eat since the restaurant was closed at the time we arrived which is just about 9'ish. Unfortunately, it was a bottle of water, some sandwiches, yoghurt, and a piece of fruit. That was our late dinner and yes, we were starving after eating the snacks because they were of little portion and wasn't the best food... I guess there's no complaining though. There would've been nothing else she could've given us.

The rooms were reasonably tidy and clean, and just about had enough space for everyone. We slept comfortably during the night without any hassle.

The next morning, we were looking for quite a nice breakfast. The food in the canteen were alright, I suppose. But, I've definitely been to hotels with better food. Overall, lunch and dinner was just the same quality but there was a variety of options if that makes it any better. The dessert could've been a lot more nicer and have a lot more, quantity wise. It seemed that every time I went up, there would be nothing nice left. And the cooks would never refill the empty plate of desserts.

Anyway, moving on to the views of the hotel. It was overall very big, clean, eye-catching and nothing really bad about it. A lot of space, definitely. The pools were pleasantly clean and there was a lot of sun beds, but definitely get a good spot if you want one during the morning as it gets a lot busier and then you're left with the odd seats and no good spot...

The beach in this area was amazing. The water was clean, the sand was quite nice and thin, the scenery was beautiful and there was local shops/malls/restaurants up the stairs. Overall, quite a nice place.

Moving onto to the last subject which was my absolute favourite and highlighted my holiday : the entertainment. The entertainment team was brilliant during day AND night. They were all very friendly and yes, I did have my favourites out of them all. Kimberly B was very friendly + casual to people. Easily likable, and she was BRILLIANT when it came onto the night performances in the Entertainment Dome. She can sing AMAZINGLY. Steven was also a friendly guy and he was great at singing! Funny too :) DJ DVD was a great guy. He was very friendly to everyone, really nice and a bundle of fun! Rachael was a really nice girl too and she was friendly to everyone. It was easy to talk to her :) Jen was great also! Friendly and nice to talk to too!

And last of all, my most favourite entertainer of all : Lizzy. She completely made my holiday. Super friendly, down to earth, a really nice girl, really helpful. She was like, one of my new best friends! Lots of fun, funny, never hesitated over anything and a good person to talk to, haha ;'D

The main part that I miss from the holiday is the Entertainment team. They were my main highlight! Overall, this holiday was brilliant! :D

Review : Complete.

Spencer Shek :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The size of the complex is massive there's 16 pools to choose from 2 dining areas a pizzarea,shop,laundrette,bar,entertainment dome,pool bar,buffet snack bar the complex is lovly to walk around and well kept there ate plenty of sun loungers round the pools aswell and a pool bar and snack buffet it's not too far a walk to the beach and town but there's a free bus if u don't want to walk the staff were very friendly and cheerfull u really enjoyed our stay here and will defo be going again next year our 20 month old son loved it too plenty of things for the little 1s to do our accommodation was great we had a large living room / kitchen area a big bathroom and a double size bedroom they even provided a travel cot for our son the bedding/towels were changed regularly and room cleaned overall a fantastic holiday and hotel the wether was awesome too

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Visited this hotel last week and had a terrible time.
I found the reception and bar staff very rude and not helpful at all.
The food was tasteless and all round plain horrible. We found ourselves eating out every night, having tried the food first but being let down. The eating area is so small for the size of this complex. The bars are understaffed and very very basic, no range.
The evening entertainment was dull and far too loud.
Overall this hotel was a complete disappointment.
The beach and bars along the sea front are fantastic which is why I will go back but not ever to this hotel.
I did read reviews before going and noticing a few bad ones I decided to give the benefit of doubt but I truly wished I never!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week 7 -14 Nov with my husband and my 9 year old son.

Check in: Reasonably quick but you are just given a quick map of the complex which is very large so we had to wander around until we found our apartment.

Room: As you would expect for 3 star accommodation. Beds quite comfortable.

Food : Where do I start ?? I have stayed at between 3* and 5* hotels and have NEVER had to eat out every night. The dining room is chaos with 3 main course choices (very poor and hardly hot) rubbish deserts, coffee machines turned of at meal times except breakfast. Cold, dried chips for children. It really was dreadful. Plenty of salad, but that doesn't really make a meal on a holiday. The 'snacks' at the pool bar were just as bad. No food is provided after dinner as most other hotels do. Crisps are not included for children on all inclusive !! You can book for the pizzeria or the tapas restaurant but neither were much better that the main dining room.

Facilities: The pool area is very nice although at this time of year obviously the pool was FREEZING. Each set of apartments has it's own pool but there is only one pool bar so it can be a bit of a trek each time you want a drink.

Drinks: I didn't drink the beer but my husband said it wasn't very nice at all. the vodka was the usual you get on all inclusive.

Entertainment: As we were out of season, it's hard to comment, but whilst we were there, the tavern, which is just like a pub puts you tube videos on until a mini disco then a quiz maybe. Not too bad but people were abusing the free drinks and made a terrible racket coming out at night. Not great when you have children with you. There is the dome which is undercover. Seems like it might be ok for children but it was very quiet whilst we were there.

Location: We were about 15 minutes walk to the beach and the main promenade. This is beautiful and well worth it. Also walked into the Rubicon Marina which is 30 min stroll along the seafront. We also hired a car and went up to Timanfaya volcano which is well worth a visit.

Overall. I would def visit lanzarote again but never to this hotel. It is 2 * at best. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here with our 10 month old at the start of November. Lovely clean, tidy place which has everything you need in the resort including shops, bars, and the different restaurants. Playa Blanca is a ten minute walk from the hotel if you wish to go in. We were all inclusive and you could have as much as you wanted. Food felt slightly repetitive towards the end but it was always good. We actually ate out the last few nights which was always less than €35 so we couldn't complain. Would travel here again.

northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Staying here at the moment. This all inclusive hotel is spotless and the staff are always keeping the place clean and tidy. Rooms could be doing with updating but are cleaned every day with fresh towels daily. Food is good plenty of choice and always hot. Pool bar serves chips pizza hot dogs and f salads. Buffet style reasturant with loads of choice. Staff at the hotel are very friendly and efficient. If anyone complains about .this hotel they are hard to please. Remember you get what you pay for and this is s good 3 star hotel. Great for kids also with loads to keep them occupied.

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just got back from tropical island and overall we had a good stay. Hotel itself is nice. Rooms are dated but are clean and tidy. Hotel grounds and public areas were always tidy. Breakfast was very good for a 3 star hotel, we ate most days at the snack bar which was basic but all you want really. The let down was the evening meal. Choice was poor and food was not the greatest apart from the mexican themed night. The entertainment team put alot of effort in but are not the most talented, but again it was ok. i recommend a trip to pizza al ar carte. . . Very nice

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!