“sun island” 3 of 5 stars
Review of THB Tropical Island

You added THB Tropical Island to your Saves list
THB Tropical Island
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Fragata #2 | Urb Costa Papagayo, 35570 Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Spain (Formerly Sun Tropical Island Resort)   |
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“sun island”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ideal place for a family on an all in package .
each accomodation block having a swimming pool for adults and babys as well as a main pool and water play area.
Main drawback was that there was no lounge bar area for a quiet after dinner drink this ment a 20 min walk to the front for the bars.There was a bar but this was noisey and rough.
Shown as 4 star in the Thos Cook book but I would rate this as 3 star just.
The priority is for all in package
Had a coke and coffe at the pool bar 4eu for a small plastic cup which was poor quality and overpriced.
Would we go back??? NO

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Maidenhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We booked a last minute holiday and couldn't get into the hotel we wanted and so, based on some fairly good reviews we booked this hotel.
I was very impressed with the size of the rooms. We had comfortable beds (Two singles pushed together) and a living area with a pull out bed / sofa. The kitchenette was good. It had a fridge and freezer (that worked) and a kettle. I did end up buying a cheap mug becuase I like a mug of coffee in the morning. The rooms were cleaned daily, except on one day that we were told about, and we had a safe in our cupboard that we paid for. We had a little patio area which looked out onto the pool. Our room, like the others were arranged around a small pool.
The food. We stayed half board, because we were out at the beach all day. I thought the selection of food was good. I have travelled alot and had some pretty poor food in my time and the food here was good. you will always get your whingers (usually british) at places like these but I always put that down to lack of experience travelling or fussy eaters. There was plenty of choice both at breakfast and in the evening, although the restaurant could get pretty busy at times.
The kids club was very poor. I had a 5 yr old and a 14 yr old and there was nothing for them to do on an evening and what there was, was very late at night. I thought the kids club staff (although british) were really terrible and if I was never going to stay at this hotel again it would be becuase of the kids club.
The hotel locationis a little out of the way of the main strip of hotels but is actually in a very good location for the main family friendly beach although I personally wouldn't want to walk to it, but plenty of people did.
We hired a car and therefore had no problems getting around to the beaches and shops. We like to go to the papagayo beach and so the location for us was excellent.
The clientelle is a mix of German and British, so there is the usual towels on beds at dawn, but it is by both the British and the German. I would say the majority of the people on site were British.
I liked this hotel and would book it again. I am sure that in the main summer holidays this hotel is very good as there did seem to be lots of things closed when we went, but then it was out of season.

Room Tip: Try to book a room around one of the small pools or jaccuzi's.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I travelled with my 3 children in Jan 2013. I felt very safe both in and out of the hotel. There are many pools and the grounds are kept spotless. The staff work hard to keep it clean. There are many many cats around the place!

I worried the food would be bad reading the reviews but it was wonderful lots of variety and lots of fresh fruit. We didn't feel the need to eat elsewhere and I am fussy when it comes to food. We dined in the tapas resturant in the hotel which was a nice change, we booked for pizza on another night but cancelled and went to the main food hall and it was Chinese! It was delicious. I ate a different type of fish every day, you could never go hungry, there are snacks in between meals - chips, jacket potatoe, hot dogs, selection of bread rolls and fillings. But with the all inclusive food in the main dining hall being so yummy there is no space for snacks!

The hotel has a free bus to the beach which we waited for but it did not turn up so we paid for a taxi. We only did this once as we found that it was in walking distance and a nice quiet walk. The supermarket on the way to the beach is cheaper for some items than the hotels. The beach is BEAUTIFUL, with shops and restaurants all around it. Lots and lots to do for all ages. We sat on the beach in January it was boiling on this particular day.

My only complaint would be that the rooms need a little maintenance mainly the bathroom, there was mold around the bath, the chain on the plug was rusty and there was also an area of rust in the bath. All very inexpensive to fix! A few staff members were not as friendly as you'd like but most were fantastic. Oh and the day the sheets were changed they were cleaner on my bed BEFORE!

I had a lovely facial and my daughter had a full body massage which we both loved in the hotel spa. I was allowed to take part in the aerobics for free the instructor was brilliant, she gave instructions in English for me and Spainish for everyone else, I did not feel uncomfortable. The gym was a little dated, but workable.

We loved the area and would go back, maybe even to this hotel if the bathrooms are looked at.

We hired segways and had a tour of the island, it was amazing.

Don't be put off by other reviews!

• Stayed January 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

we stayed here over new year on an all inclusive basis. The apartmens were very nice, equipt with kettle, mircrowave etc. All the apartments look out over one of the many pools. Very nice gardens and very clean. The food was reasonably good, the New Years Eve gala dinner was disappointing, nothing special. The entertainement in the dome was ok but the queues for drinks were ridiculous. There was a separate bar (the village tavern which again had massive queues. poor barman having to cope with collecting glasses and serving drink. The pool bar was better and did a variety of cocktails through the day. The pools were absolutely freezing so needless to say, there wasnt many in swimming. All in all a very nice hotel in a nice area. Lack of staff let it down.

Room Tip: We were in room 423 and it didnt get the sun on the balcony at any time of the day
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
plymouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

not good spent christmas and new year and worst hotel stayed in ever .but a lovely area by beach and popagayo centre, visit ice house lovely freindly, good food and drink great prices,but avoid hotel by all means

Room Tip: catlanzer trip a must
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

the place was lovely and clean the staff where very friendly. I am a vegetarian and found a choice there although it catered more for meat eaters. You can put so much weight on in a week . Also the drinks are great I am so glad I went fully inclusive as it does save in the long run. Moreover they have so many swimming pools you could practically have one to yourself. One annoying thing was on arrival you have to find your apartment yourself and it took too long however I would still go back.If you have kids they have a lot for them to do I noticed this the staff where always busy and nothing was too much trouble for them. Overall I was pleased with the location it was a short walking distance from the bay which had a lovely sandy small beach.I wasn't disappointed spending Christmas there in fact I would do it all again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Beggars can't be choosers, as a last minute booking we didn't have much choice as to location on dates we had - but the info on OnTheBeach.co.uk led us to believe it was a good choice with lots of activities for the kids. How wrong were we! Originally saw the hotel on thomas cook, but chose OTB as £600 cheaper for us all.
Neither of the sites advise that in fact, at this time of year - at an all year round holiday destination - half the resort is closed!
One bar opening on an evening (which is a little scruffy to say the least, but does show football on TV every night!); yes there is a tapas restaurant and a pizza restaurant - but monday, wednesday, friday is pizza night - tuesday, thursday & sunday is tapas - saturday they are both closed! but you can go to each of them - once! as long as you book (we arrived thursday and could only get in to pizza on wednesday & tapas on tuesday! - fully booked - perhaps something to do with the buffet!!)); there are two entertainment "domes" on site, but only one was open - mini disco for kids (average age of 3! so not "entertaining" for 10 and 15 year olds); after that bingo and adult drinking games!
Kids club closed half way through our week - but as we weren't thomas cook customers, my son wasn't allowed to join!
NOT a ten minute walk from the beach - more like half hour to an hour (depending on which beach you went to!) No free bus at this time of year. (taxis were very cheap though).
all facilities are there (air con, lovely shower) but beds very uncomfy (only two singles not a doulble)
Food barely edible - very repetitive - not good for kids to eat unless they like salad as that was plentiful - and chips!
Reminded me of Butlins 20 years ago - decor of apartments is a little outdated - but expected as saw photos.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!