“Let Down Badly” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Let Down Badly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am writing this review to express my disappointment after spending a week at the Hotel H10 Princess in Lanzarote.

Bathroom. Bath side was rusty – Shower screen unclean. Human hair found in the bath on arrival.

Hallways. Carpets dirty and soiled, paintwork and skirting boards require painting, general air of neglect.

Dining Room. A dingy and depressing place to eat.

Food. Luke warm at all meal times.

Snack Bar. Birds allowed to walk on food counters and food serving areas. Staff only chased them away when hotel guests appeared.

Bar & Drinks. Cocktails and other drinks poor, not to standard.

Hotel. Apart from reception and the bar area there is a general air of neglect for example broken floor tiles, dirty windows, unpainted walls etc.

My wife and I stayed at this hotel 12 years ago. The hotel was to four stars standard in 2001. H10 Hotels have always been our first choice if one is located in the resort we intend to visit. The Lanzarote Princess would be hard pushed to obtain 3 stars in it's present condition.

On this occasion we feel we have been badly let down.
If I was awarding stars today, the Lanzarote Princess would struggle to obtain three. We will never stay there again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at H10 Lanzarote Princess from the 10th of October 2013 to the 17th.

We had the half board deal and honestly we couldn't ask for more. The location of the hotel is Excellent, it is a 5 min walk from the Playa Blanca Beach.

The food is excellent you have so many varieties, from chocolate fountains to candy corner. There was a theme every day, for example, mexican food on tuesdays, chinese on friday, etc. The pool is very nice but personally I was always visiting many beaches around the area.

You must go visit the Papagayo beaches, th

. If you really wanna do a tour of Lanzarote, I recommend to rent a car and go by yourself, your gonna save a lot !! Overall, I loved my stay there and would definitely go again !! Have a safe and nice stay everyone

Dudley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'd read most of the reviews for the Lanzarote Princess on this site, and I can quite honestly say the majority of them were spot on. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff were friendly and the majority of them were always smiling. In fact you were treated as if you were old friends to most of them.
We had three minor problems in our room during the week (safe jammed, toilet blocked and a massive insect that had wandered in uninvited) and all were sorted out within fifteen minutes.
There was entertainment on every night, either mini disco and cabaret acts in the main room; or in the Piano bar where you could just relax, or some couples chose to dance to the easy listening music. Drinks wre very reasonable, and often cheaper than those served in the bars around the resort. And there was a good choice of cocktails both alcoholic and non alcoholic.
On checking in guests are given a complimentary glass of champagne. We were half board and were given a card which we produced every time we ordered drinks during the week. Then on the day you depart everything is totted up and you pay your bill prior to checking out.
Food was okay in the main restaurant, my only complaint there was not enought serving spoons and tongs for your choice of food. Not a problem to some, but my wife, who is a vegetarian, often found fish or meat bits on the utensils she was using for salad stuff.
BUT......two complaints.....which would be customers should be aware of. The main pool snack bar.......Doves, everywhere. Sitting on tables, sitting on plates. I wouldn't use the snack bar after seeing this.
And secondly.......Our room was lower ground.......facing the tennis courts......but between our terrace and the courts was a line of bushes and trees, which overhang the terrace. Hence we had no view at all, and very liitle sun during the day. Whatsmore the terrace lights go off at midnight so if you sit out after that you're in darkness and can't see much of the starry sky because of the trees.
All in all it was a nice hotel, with lovely staff, but I doubt if I will return there.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to be lower ground facing the tennis courts. All other rooms are fine.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband my 9month old son & my parents.
The entrance was impressive, but it was never used by guests, the back gate led to the beach, shame!
The food was mediocre.... Lots of choice but not great.
The snack bar is absolutely disgusting, why would you not sort out a problem like having pigeons eating off tables, it's beyond me!
The Sakura restaurants food was lovely, shame the chefs weren't as good in the main food areas!
We we're put in a room next to a 'staff room' (1073) they had the tv on during the night which woke up my son, which I complained about. They also had a small window which could look onto our balcony which I was annoyed about, we heard several loud Spanish phone calls whilst sat quietly on our balcony! The room was ok, modern but not looked after, which was the same as the rest of the hotel.
The pool was really unclean, I could see the horrible grimy layer, I only saw it cleaned properly once in the week, and our swimwear did turn yellow.
We also woke up on our last day to an ant infestation in our bathroom.
The night time entertainment was rubbish during our stay only 1 decent act in the week!
The only positives were the location is great and the staff who are absolutely fantastic, extremely friendly and will do anything to help. I do feel sorry for them though as they do seem rushed of their feet.
It's such a shame this hotel could be great!

• Stayed October 2013
North Walsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

stayed at the princess for a week 3rd oct after reading sum of the reports i was a bit worried , but on arr the greeting was nice a cold drink got our keys room was very nice over looking pool i must say all yes all the staff was very nice and all chated we had no problems with the pool food was nice (but rember you are not the only ones staying at this hotel) so they cater for most people always found sum thing to eat in all had a very nice stay would go back to the hotel and hope to soon

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for a week in the middle of October.

From all the reviews leading up to the holiday we were expecting to arrive to a hideous hotel. First impressions when we arrived were pretty good. Washed away all the doubts other reviews had put into our heads. Then we walked into our room and it all flooded back. Our room was bottom floor (we'd asked for a high level) and our balcony view consisted of a tree blocking any potential view there was. It also was extremely clear that the renovation that had happened hadn't got as far as the bottom floor. We immediately went back and complained and spoke to a very rude and arrogant member of the reception team who refused to do anything about it. After what seemed like ages we asked to speak to the manger who within about 10 minutes agreed to giving us a free bottle of champagne in our room the following day and moving rooms to a high level floor 2 days later which in the end turned out to be fantastic. Modern room and bathroom with views of the pool.

The food was okay. It depends what you like and if you want to be adventurous. Was pretty much the same every night and the drinks in the restaurant were extremely limited with either soft drinks, wine or larger. No spirits.

The evening entertainment was beyond a joke. I don't even think you can class it as entertainment.

The location is beautiful a lovely 5 minute stroll to the beach. The pool area is clean and not lacking in sun beds. Alway one free. We didn't find the pool stained our clothes and we went in everyday and we didn't find it had a film of yellow across it as previously mentioned in other reviews. It was very welcoming and well maintained.

Overall we found staff to be friendly and approachable apart from 1 male member of staff on reception who needed a few lessons in customer service. (I won't mention his name as it'll be obvious from the moment you arrive)

As for comments from young couples saying you get eyed by old people and get disapproving looks we certainly didn't. If anything we seemed to attract them!!

All in all once we were in a decent room the hotel is very nice (even if you do have to stand your ground and fight for what you want. Either that or show them more money) It does need a bit of TLC here and there and the hallway could do with a hoover and a lick of paint but who really expects stuff like that to be perfect?

• Stayed October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Where do I start... As an extremely seasoned traveller, this has to be one/or indeed the worst hotel we have stayed in ever.. 4 stars it is not... We are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 3 and 5 years and we came with our friends with same age children too. On arrival the reception and greeting is fine and then it's the walk of gloom to the room.. That sinking feeling when you think it's not clean, it's going to be awful, what have we booked.. The room was ok but not 4 star, key issue with room was no drinks in mini bar and the need to hunt down water to fill it is quite ridiculous for an all inclusive stay.
The worst bits were :-
a) restaurant - food poor quality and at best luke warm,
b) outdoor cafe is outrageous with unpleasant staff and pigeons sitting on the food people then eat..
c) pools are not clean and my son did pick up an infection (we will never know from where but we were pretty much hotel bound all week) - ALL swimwear turned bright yellow by end of week and having invested in an expensive bikini (silly idea in retrospect) I was furious to look at the array of clothing completely ruined. The hotel explained the pool is old and the build up of sun creams causes staining. Would have been nice to know before I rigged out my family in good quality clothing for their holiday. In all my years of travel I have never seen this before - goodness knows what's living in the pools...
d) the cracked floors outside the restaurant area are really dangerous and our small kids fell over many times, screaming in pain as yet another uneven edge caused them to fall
e) entertainment is rubbish

We chose this hotel as its near a lovely beach and to be fair the location is great, however the hotel and its amenities are important for a sun holiday and one can do much better than this one for sure. However if you dont wish to return home with a suitcase of yellow stained clothes then stay away from this hotel..

(I don't know if its the hotel staff themselves writing the good reviews here or those who are impressed easily but this is not 4 star Hotel and not value for money... )

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to H10 Lanzarote Princess? Share your experiences!