“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort

You added Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Calle Las Acacias, no 6 | Playa Las Coloradas, 35580 Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have sadly just returned from 2 weeks stay at the Sandos Papagayo. We travelled as a family with my two children, aged 4 and 1 and our in laws came along for the second week.

I can't speak highly enough about this hotel for families, it's wonderful, the animation team do a fantastic job keeping the little ones entertained, I was a little cautious about leaving her alone at first but she persuaded us to leave her and she was always in safe hands.

The food is amazing, very impressed for AI, even the snack bar food was great, it lacked slightly from 11pm, but I don't expect gourmet food at that time! Drinks were also plentiful, there were a few drinks that had an extra charge but something for everyone to drink that's included. The Mexican is delicious and I must agree with past reviews regarding the Chinese it's not up to the standards as the rest of the food but worth a visit for a change.

The whole hotel is very clean, there is always someone around cleaning somewhere. Didn't have a problem with any of the staff, they were all very polite and happy to help. A lot of the staff (with exception of the animation team) don't speak fantastic English, I think some people may misunderstand this as rudeness. They do a remarkable job and work very long hours, they should be commended.

In my opinion the location of the hotel was great, I like to walk so the 15 min stroll to the harbour was welcome, then another 10-15 mins to the centre of Playa Blanca.

The entertainment was great, I wouldn't say it is aimed directly at children, I would have enjoyed if I were here as a couple, although my daughter did enjoy it too.

We stayed in G block which had a lovely pool view. Unless you are going to bed early, before 10.30-11 then noise isn't an issue, we slept fine every night, it was very quiet. It was getting very busy towards the end of our stay and we did notice that by 9 ish the sunbeds were all reserved, this is through no fault of the hotel, there are signs everywhere asking people not to reserve, but I guess this is the world we live in! So get up early if you want some loungers.

There were a few cracked tiles round the pool, but I did notice that they were getting replaced at the end of our stay and does this really ruin your holiday????

If you want value for money then I would certainly recommend this hotel. For what we paid, I can't fault it. I think some people just want everything for nothing.

Room Tip: I'd opt for a higher room, views are stunning.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Minniechez,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We will keep on working hard to improve in all aspects in order to make your stay unforgettable.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights in June 2013. It's difficult to review a hotel that you wouldn't go back to but not necessarily because of its faults but because it doesn't really suit your holiday style so here are a few comments:
Hotel - the hotel itself is very clean and perfectly nice although some of the decor could do with updating, a minor point though. It is also huge so it takes a while to get to know where everything is but a map is provided on arrival.
Bedroom - we emailed in advance to request a sea view room which is exactly what we got. It was very quiet with no noise from other guests and very spacious (C436). However, the cleaners start their rounds at 8am and yell to each other along the corridors so prepare to be disturbed! There were no tea and coffee facilities in our room which we really did miss actually but if we'd known we could have taken a travel kettle etc. We had a very large fridge which was useful for keeping water cold.
Pools - there are several pools with plenty of sun loungers BUT despite the notices, people do reserve them with their towels. We sat next to an umbrella with 2 reserved loungers underneath and the owners didn't turn up for two hours which is just so unfair.
Restaurants - The main international restaurant does a good job of providing a variety of foods to choose from and there are always fresh meat/eggs being cooked at the hotplate too. The italian is right next to the main buffet so you could visit both if you like. The pasta dishes are prepared (cooked pasta heated up with already cooked sauce) in individual portions to order which is nice. The chinese restaurant was good, we enjoyed the dinner we had there. The mexican was ok but not great. In both of these restaurants I think they could make things a bit different from the international by maybe just having the starters and the desserts on a buffet but letting you order your main fresh. The pool snack bar food is pretty gross - disgusting looking hotdogs and burgers with chips. They have a few salads but none of it looked very appetizing.
Entertainment - the evening entertainment is rubbish but it provided us with a few giggles. I was just glad we were only there for 5 nights because I couldn't listen to the rubbish musicians any longer. The disco is always empty although we popped in one evening at 1130 to see one of the staff members teaching children a dance routine - not exactly what you want from a nightclub!
All Inclusive Drinks - all inclusive finishes at 11pm. You can get wine and beer on tap in the snack bar after this time (until 8am in fact) but it would be in paper cups so unless you want to pay for drinks, a curfew is sort of set for you. The wine and beer on tap throughout the restaurants was actually very nice and Cava is available by the glass which was a nice surprise. The cocktails are terrible so don't go expecting anything special there.
WiFi - the best signal is in the chillout bar on the roof, otherwise intermittant in other WiFi zones which are all in the main Reception atrium.
Weather - for those who haven't been to Lanzarote before, it's pretty windy. This means you don't feel how hot it is but it is hot! We saw lots of burnt people around the pool so I'm guessing they may have been duped by the wind. So be careful!
All in all, we had a lovely relaxing time but I wouldn't go back again. There were quite a lot of children even though it isn't school holidays yet so I can imagine in peak season it would be full of children so I think this resort is best avoided if this would bother you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BBFarnham,

We regret not being able to satisfy your expectations. We apologize for all the inconveniences you find and do appreciate all your comments. We will keep on working hard to improve in all aspects.

Assistant Manger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Reception- looks quite impressive, staff seems friendly enough.
Room- block A, dated dated dated!! Bed v uncomfy- possibly the most uncomfy bed I have ever slept on actually. No drawer space. Usual 5 coat hangers per person. No extractor fan on the bathroom and the bottom of our bath had some weird rubber sealant on the botton to cover damage which proceeded to come off when my daughter was in the bath and stick to her in a rather alarming fashion. Clean though and serviced daily. Rubbish old tv
There was a lot of rain one night of our visit, this soaked the carpet in the lobby which then began to smell very strongly of damp all that was done was to leave towels/sheets on the sodden carpet-not ideal.
Food- breakfast is good, lunch probably the poorest of the meals as too much 'dinner type' food, a selection of cold meats and cheeses (as given at breakfast) would have been nicer. Dinner was ok but that's all, I managed to find something I could eat but struggled to find something for my slightly fussy 4 year old some nights. I am an adventurous eater and tried lots of the food on offer but often it just didn't taste of much. Also food tended to be over salted- esp the vegetables which ruled them out for the wee one.
Location- not ideal if you have a little one, easy access to playa blanca during day, via a lovely pathway, but its quite a walk. Evenings are a different matter, taxis only I'd say.
Kids club- play park is rubbish esp for the size of the resort, one slide and a seesaw, the kids club was fine when we were there as there weren't many children.
Pools- one heated the rest were Baltic but I imagine in high season (summer) they'd be just fine
The bars were a little lacking in atmosphere, the chill out bar was too cold and the furniture was very uncomfy, we had a little one so couldn't use the adults only bar and the canarian bar was like the restaurant but with woven chairs. The balcony was nice- if you could find a seat.
Overall this hotel was nice for once visit but I don't think I would return although this is more to do with location than in-resort amenities.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Ell72,

We appreciate all your comments about your stay but we are very sorry to hear them. We also regret not being the hotel you expected and do apologize for all the inconveniences you find. Please be sure that we will bear them all in mind, giving the information to the respective departments.

Keighley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just returned from 11 nights at the hotel with my husband and 2 children aged 11 and 7. First time we have been All Inclusive since our honeymoon but doubt we will ever go Self catering again! The Hotel itself is very big but you soon find your way around, it is lovely and clean and the staff are all really friendly, always with a smile. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels and the cleaners are lovely. lots of pools but these are very cold and I think more shallow ones are needed for kids as there was only one half where mine could swim, the others were too deep or too shallow! also my kids said they would have loved a slide in one of the pools!
always plenty of sunbeds and lots of quiet areas if you didn't want to sunbath near the pools. lots of bars where you can be served or lots where you can help yourself and non of them too busy.
ice cream always available for the kids during the day and crepes were served in the afternoon in the snack bar. Now to the food! it was fantastic, never seen so much choice and different every evening, so many vegetables and well cooked meat, we had lots of roast dinners instead of the usual chips every night so we didn't come home craving a roast like we normally do!
we went to the Mexican one evening but we weren't too impressed, happier in the main dining room or Italian! the Chinese was quite nice even though lots of reviews have said not ( we nearly didn't go because of this) so always best to try yourself as some are fussier than others.
My kids are fussy eaters but they never stopped eating here and tried lots of new things.
plenty of choice in drinks too, both alcoholic and soft drinks including flavoured milk in the snack bar.
Entertainment was great for the kids on an evening and the staff work very hard and put in lots of hours, the only downside is that it gets chilly on an evening and the entertainment is outside although under shelter (would take a cardigan with you).
There is a lovely walk to the Marina which takes about 15 to 20 mins and then you can carry on for a further 10 mins and you get into Playa Blanca where there is a lovely beech and nice shops, you can also get a curtesy bus from the hotel to the centre or a taxi only costs about 3.20 euros.
We walked to the beech near the hotel which is lovely and nice to swim in the sea (but be careful it gets deep quite soon) the only downside was the wind, you end up getting sandblasted which is quite painful!

Also the hotel has a spa with 3 Jacuzzis and a sauna and also a gym! we went into the spa a couple of times and it was lovely, you can also get massages at an extra cost. They also provide towels here for you to use by the pool which you can change as often as you need and there is no charge so saves you taking your own!

Tennis courts and table tennis are available, you can borrow bats/rackets from reception for 5 euro deposit which you get back.

All in all this hotel is one of the best places we have stayed and non of us wanted to come home! (especially having to cook for ourselves again after all the gorgeous food). I would like to Thank all the staff for making our stay so great, they all deserve pay rises!

I am not sure we will return to this hotel but the only reason is because of the wind in Lanzarote! it is a bit of a nightmare having to chase towels and hats all over the place! Sandos have hotels in other places though so would definitely look at one of those as I cant fault the hotel at all and would certainly recommend it (in fact I already have to a few friends!)
Enjoy!

Room Tip: we had room H1228 which had a lovely view of the pools and sea and was the top floor :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Lesley L,

Thank you very much for bringing us your feelings. We appreciate your comments and remarks and the trust you have placed on us.

Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

An excellent choice for both families and couples, however perhaps not the right choice for singles and party animals. My husband and I have just returned from our first visit to the Sandos Papagayo; it will not be our last.

The food is varied, something for everyone. You can also book for the Mexican Restaurant and the Chinese Restaurant. We went to the Mexican twice and the Chinese once. I would suggest you make reservations as you check-in as they do get booked up. There is also the French restaurant which has a supplement charge, which is open on 2 nights only - Tuesday and Saturday.

There is a choice of bars, depending on what you want. In the evening, the Green Room is an adult only bar, the Canario Bar is for families. We seemed to spend most evenings on the Terrace, chilling with some new made friends. The bars are open until midnight but drinks are chargeable after 11 pm. Nibbles (nuts, olives etc) are always available on request – very civilised.

There are picnic packs if required, which need to be ordered the previous evening. Excellent if you are walking to the beautiful Papagayo beach, which has no facilities. Please note: there is a path from the hotel's reception - there is no need to climb the cliff face, which we did! Luckily we found the path for our walk back. Much, much easier :-)

Rubicon Marina is well recommended; a lovely 20 minute walk. There is a market twice a week. We went on a Saturday; a very pleasant morning. We felt safe and everyone was so friendly. Prior to our return walk, we re-charged at The Blue Note Bar - fabulous. So good, we returned a couple of evenings later. Anyone who like a G & T, try the Bombay Sapphire - WOW! The taxi for our return to our hotel was under 4 euros.

Rooms are fine and spacious. We hadn't upgraded to the Elite Package but our room had a wonderful view overlooking the sea (Block C). The block was really quiet during the night which was a positive – we were never disturbed once by inconsiderate guests.

Sunbeds were plentiful but having said that, during our week, we saw it getting busier day by day. The sunbeds could be ready for an upgrade methinks, if I had to find a criticism.

Wonderful holiday and on reflection we felt that it was the staff who are the "jewel in the crown". The staff always greeted you with a smile and you feel valued as a customer. This should be the norm but as we all know, it isn't always the case! Can't wait for our next visit and look forward to introducing the hotel to our friends and family - my little granddaughter will love it! Thank you Sandos Papagayo, you are doing it right!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Zenobia33,

Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Returned last week from another break away at this lovely spacious hotel.

We find it good value for money and a lovely relaxing holiday. Wonderful just arriving and within half an hour of the taxi dropping us off from the airport we were unpacked and on the terrace of the Canarian bar settling in straight away and being chilled.

The staff are very friendly. Some talk to you more than others but it's lovely that they are cheerful.

The food is still excellent as so much choice and I find it decent quality in the dining room. We don't actually eat from the snack bar as I prefer the dining room for the choice.

Cleanliness and hygeine is so important to me and the whole hotel is so clean. The amount of toilets around the hotel are such a bouns - yes a silly point but so true!

Our safe failed during our stay, reception and Maintenance sorted and mended within around half an hour. Second from last day our key cards would not work, we thought initially just the cards had failed but the maid could not get in with her key either. Master key was obtained and maintenance man was back to swap the lock out. Again it was repaired swiftly. Very grateful for organisation via reception for resolving.

Wifi is a little poor, please improve? :-)

Found reception very helpful. Didn't have any issues like other people. They always assisted us when we needed it and arranged taxis for us/queries etc.

As long as we can get a deal/good price we shall keep coming back.

My wish list: :-) Be nice to see outside dining in some form, outside adult only areas etc, bus running more often, better entertainment, but you can't have it all and for the price we pay we are more than happy with what is on offer/available.

Felt quite traumatised when our taxi arrived to take us to the airport. Was very upset to leave. This time was more painful than the others. Suppose we feel comfy here and relaxed.

Hoping we shall be back at some point again this year/early next year! :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EssexAngelDelight,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed for 10 very relaxing nights. The property is big but easy enough to navigate your way around. We requested a high floor room with a sea view - which we got! The rooms are large in size but the decor would not be to our liking - very Spanish with dark wood and lots of yellow and blue. But we were in Spain!! The food is very good quality with lots of choice. The restaurant itself is huge and kind of has a school canteen vibe about it but don't let that put you off. We rented a car and drove into Playa Blanca which is only a 5/10 minute drive. We would return to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CaseyLemur,

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Assistant Manager

Been to Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!