Staying at this hotel was the second week of our two-centre package with Classic Collection (see my review on Seaside Los Jameos Playa)
First impressions of this hotel are quite stunning, from entering reception to the sound of chanting monks, cascading waterfalls etc and all the staff here are dressed in national costume.
Our room 308 was in a good position overlooking the main pool, the marina and views out to sea. Rooms are generally well appointed with adequate drawer and hanging space, a nice seating area and good size balcony. The bathroom has bath/shower which is adjustable, twin basins and separate toilet and bidet.
The grounds need a bit of attention as much of the vegetation appeared to be dying off due to lack of water or attention. The pools are in need of repainting/re-tiling and the sunbeds round the main pool are disgusting for a 5 star hotel.
Other negatives include poor sound insulation in rooms. You will definitely hear your neighbour flushing his loo! The lighting in the rooms is also very poor. The balcony has no clothes dryer facility which I found strange for a hotel of this calibre.
There is no real focal point and little in the way of entertainment.
The restaurant is an extremely attractive place to eat, with tables nicely laid out and well spaced apart. Wine, for a 5 star hotel, was very reasonably priced. Breakfasts were excellent but I cannot say the same for evening meals. They offered a good choice of salad, but hot foods were very poorly lit and displayed and much of it was not that special.
Choice of desserts was modest to say the least with very little choice of fresh fruit. The fruit on offer was always served in glasses - a rather strange idea, making it difficult to eat.
The company who now own this hotel are only a small chain and I wonder if they've bitten off more than they can chew, as much of the complex needs some serious money spending on it.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Playa Blanca
- Sol Melia Playa Blanca
- Gran Melia Volcan Lanzarote
- Hotel Volcan Lanzarote Playa Blanca
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxury five star hotel, the Hotel Volcán Lanzarote, has a prime location on the seafront and together with the “Marina Rubicón” yachting harbour it constitutes a tourist resort in the southern part of the island - an area that forms part of the UNESCO’s “World Network of Biosphere Reserves”. The hotel is located just 10 km from the Timanfaya National Park, 900 metres from the picturesque fishing village of Playa Blanca, where you will find shopping centres, bars and restaurants, and just 30 minutes from the International Airport of Arrecife. Andrés Piñeiro, the chief architect of the project, chose a design based on a complex of classical buildings that are a true reflection of the typical architectural style of the island. The design of the hotel is reminiscent of a typical village of Lanzarote, with romantic patios, traditional courtyards and secluded spots, together with the magnificent hotel entrance which is a replica of the Teguise church of “Ntra. Sra. de Guadalupe”. With its unique architecture and the distinguished service of a luxury hotel, the Hotel Volcán Lanzarote is an icon within the high end segment of the tourism sector. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hotel Volcan Lanzarote reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.