“truely awful” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“truely awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and i decided to have a "meal" at Casa Jose as it descibes itself as traditional canarian food..We ordered garlic bread to start my wife ordered the mixed meat grill and i the garlic chicken..We had a bottle of red wine which would have been better put on your chips.My wife asked for a glass of tap water and it was obvious the waiter didn`t understand what we were asking for so she took him to the bar and showed him..Our "food" came out and my wife was presented with a selection of grilled fish !! mine was basically fried chicken skin with very little meat..it was truely vile and i had to have my wifes swordfish to fill me up a little..We asked for the bill which took ages to arrive even though we were the only people in there..After much dithering we got the bill which totalled 55 euros after checking it..it came to 45 euros !! i think from looking at the waiter he expected us just to put the money down and leave..we called him over and challenged him on the total..he quickly changed it to the correct amount.. strange how he could suddenly understand english !!..A truely awful meal ..please avoid

• Visited October 2013

63% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Canarian Fish Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Authentic dishes, friendly & efficient service, great atmosphere = wonderful experience. Great seafront location, great buzz around area

Visited October 2013
Houston, United Kingdom
“Make friends with the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It was a bit haphazard since the waiter had little English and we had no Spanish. Confusion reigned when dishes were brought out and we witnessed another couple questioning the bill. Food was pretty good and fresh. Kid is a bit tough and mostly bone so wouldn't recommend. We chaffed the waiters and ended up having good (confusing) banter. The vodka caramello brought out at the end was excellent and flowed freely.
We enjoyed the evening.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Royton
“Awful Meal & Rip-Off – Avoid!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have been going to Playa Blanca for a number of years and we had, without doubt, the worst meal EVER at Casa Jose. We have avoided the place in the past as it has always seemed empty, but this year there were a few more people eating whenever we passed so we decided to give it a try – Silly mistake!!!

We had starters of Garlic Prawns (the only decent dish of the meal), and Fish Soup (with hardly any fish). For the main meal I asked for the grilled sole, was told they had sold out, and was offered a white fish “like sole” instead, which I didn’t realise meant the fish of the day at €15. This came with a measly salad, and surprisingly no Canarian Potatoes. My wife had Garlic Chicken, she asked for with Canarian Potatoes with this and one was rotten, plus this dish was served without any veg/salad at all and looked very lacklustre indeed – All this for €48!!! At the end of the “meal” I had to request the bill three times – I think they liked the idea of us sitting at a table next to the window so they looked nice and busy.

• Visited March 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Disastrous Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friend and I visited Case Jose and had the worst meal and service ever. We were told about a 3 fish dish special with no price quoted, which we declined. My friend ordered lasagne, only to be told it was off that day! and 1 goat stew, something I was looking forward to as I had never eaten goat. My friend then settled for a mixed pork platter. When they arrived hers looked like a plate of spam (remember that?) and salad, and mine was just a plate of dried up bones with meat attached with a few canarian potatoes. We decided to make the best of it, and eat what we were served as the communication was difficult. We also had a bottle of house wine. So that was 3 items.
When the bill arrived there were 5 items, some bread which we did not have, a 16 euro goat dish which I didn't order but apparently the dried up bones were very expensive !!! I pointed out to the waiter the meal we had ordered on the menu which with the wine totalled 25 euros, more than enough for the unappetising meal. But he insisted our bill was 35 euros. We put our 25 euros on the table and left, only to be pursued by a very angry young man, demanding more money, saying there was tax to pay ??? we begrudgingly left another 4 euros. I noticed on following days that while all the other restaurants around were packed, Casa Jose only had 2 or 3 people dining. A lesson to be learned I think!!

• Visited March 2013