“fun with not alot of sun” 4 of 5 stars

€198 (EUR)
Ranked #6 of 35 hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ripon, England, United Kingdom
“fun with not alot of sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had a great week off with the family the kids loved the kids club we had not a lot of sun (in jan) but the entertainment teem made the time fly. The complymentry spa was very relaxing and also helped the time fly away. The evening entertainment was very good with a magic show and the crew working very hard to do a few shows of their own witch were good we have been very well looked after thanks to all the crew :)
The only grumble I do have is that the bathroom was not realy up to scratch as round the bath was not tiled to the top of the shower and there was bit of mold around the bath and up the walls :( more like a 4 star hotel.

3,092 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Polish first
Gretna Green, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

As in many other reviews on T/A definatly not 5 star hotel.First impressions were good glass of cava at check in and taken by bell boy to our room,room was really good very large with massive living area huge bathroom with everything provided robes etc,lovely bedroom wit huge bed.But when when opened our patio we had a tiny balcony which faced the small pool beside the spa,this had no access to pool area,and also got no sun whatsoever'.the large poolside bar is where u can get your snacks,burgers, chips, etcits a bit chaotic at times loads of children and food lying around.pool area is nice with palms and vegitation separating different sections very busy!!its a massive site take a day or two to get your bearings.Food was reasonable but as we were all inc became fairly repetative.nights are very low key we plumped for large poolside bar as we ventured into function room first night and its dire and so were acts.bottom bar was ok good for chatting to other guests,bear in mind if you like intl branded spirits you have to ask as they keep them shut away out of sight even though they are included in you all inc.good walk to rubicn marina which is v nice on market days,we did one night in Playa Blanca which was ok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DreamplaceHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Dream Gran Castillo Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear djgazgretna,
Thank you very much for your comment about our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. In our three restaurants we offer a wide variety of different dishes to our guests each night and we are sorry that you still thought it was bit repetitive. There are three different bars in our hotel, where our guests can spend their evening and the drinks made mostly of leading brands and in some cases local brands. We are sorry that you didn’t like the balcony of your room so much. Like you said our rooms are all very spacious and offer everything our guests may need during their stay. Our entire hotel is very spacious so even if there are many guests in our hotel it does not get overcrowded. The animation team offers many different activities during the day and at night they put on a great show. Our hotel is located in the area of Playa Blanca with the marina only within a few minutes walking distance, where our guests can find some nice shops.
Best regards,
Miriam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and our 4 year old son stayed for a week from 11th January. We all had a really nice stay apart from the weather being a bit rough most of the week obviously no fault of the hotel and a couple of other niggles which I will mention later on. We stayed in room 5334 which was really nice which consisted of two rooms and a bathroom. Room 1 bedroom/living room and balcony. Room 2 was the same both similar to each other with the bathroom being in between all in all very spacious and pleasant. We found the hotel and grounds very clean and tidy the food was also very good and the staff very nice and friendly our niggles were we asked for a sunny balcony but the balcony was small and got no sun all day but we didn't mind as the weather wasn't very good anyway. The other niggle was the entertainment in the evening oh my days it was awful. These are niggles though and would not stop us from returning to the hotel in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Darlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

January 11th - January 18th 2014, 6 people All inclusive.
1 Superior double room
1 Family Duplex - room 6449

Accomodation is superb. Large spacious rooms. You won't find better. Rooms have all toiletries plus shower caps, shaving kit, sowing kit, toothbrush etc. Nice touch.
Branded drinks are included. I'm a sucker for Havana Club and Brugal rum which was included too, and the draught lager is clean and refreshing for a few beers before dinner. TIP: Give the bar staff a tip and they will look after you if the bar gets busy later on.

The Italian restaurant is slightly better than the chinese, although I did have a nice dish with Ginger & Spring onions in the chinese. Lets not forget we are in Spain and not China here so it could just be subjective.

The Italian restaurant was really nice. Pizza are thin crispy base and the fillet steak was excellent. Some nice starters too. I'll upload a picture when I get chance. Staff are attentive in both restaurants. You can also have breakfast in the Italian restaurant until 10am each day.

The main buffet restaurant is superb. There are two cooking stations serving fish, chicken, veal, crevettes, you name it there are 4 or 5 choices every day. The salad selection is superb. You also have slices cheeses, sliced meats, good vegetarian choices, plenty of desserts, 4 different breads to cut yourself. The red wine is very good, as it the glass bottled water. The staff are very friendly and will do anything to help you. I can go on and on but having grown up in a country house hotel for 17 years know my stuff.

If you are looking for somewhere to go but can't decide among a sea of hotels in Lanzarote then I would say go here. You can book the hotel direct which has offers on its website. We did this and flew Ryan air which wasn't as bad as my sister was telling me. I will be returning again to this hotel in the future, knowing i'm in for a great holiday.

Skåne, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you expect a five star hotel you will be disappointed, if you expect a 4 star hotel of medium quality you will be ok. I do not know how this hotel got the five star, but it must have been many years ago. The list of improvements this hotel needs to do is long.

The hotel is rather worn down in general, in some areas particularly so. Most of the sunbeds around the main pool should have been replaced years ago, they are sun bleached and old. The furniture in the room is a bit worn down, and the beds are rock hard. The "extra bed" in the sofa is impossible for a person older than 5 years to sleep in, you feel the strings right through and it is unbearably uncomfortable, and it is very unclean under the bedding.
The kids club is filthy, the floor is extremely unclean, so are most of the toys inside and the balls in the outside playground. My 20 months old son played inside the kids club for about 10 minutes and were black of dirt on his feets, knees and hands. We left, cleaned him up, and never went back.
The slides in the kids pool is old, worn and need to be replaced.
Many areas need repairing, painting and at some places the tiles in the floor are missing.

The restaurant is complete chaos. You get designated a table for the hole week, and the next day, they move you, and tell you that THIS is your table, just to move you again the night after. 4 times we were moved around for various reasons. As f this wasn't enaugh the last evening the waiter informed us that we had to leave our table in five minutes, even though it was obvious that our son nor we had finished our meals. Since the table designated for us were already taken and we had to find a different one we turned a bit late. They told us to leave in 5 min even though there were 30 min until next serving and the restaurant were almost empty. We just didnt leave and nothing happened, strange waiter-behaviour. 5 star way to treat a paying customer?? Hardly.
The food were more or less the same all week. no variation, and they have no sense of spicing the food, do they even know there are such things as spices? The food is also very inspired to satisfy those who like german or brittish food, if you like local canarian food, properly spiced, go somewhere else, we did.
They serve whole fish sometimes at lunch, it is good.
The breakfast is good and of large variety, although the bacon is some kind of budget-low-quality-thing. The mini-muffins at breakfast is fantastic.
The meat are of poor quality, the filé of beef, is... something else, it is like chewing on your shoe, it is from Brazil I were told, more like Rumanian horse I believe.

The child seats in the restaurant were never cleaned, full of old food, some blackened and obviously not healthy for a toddler to put in his mouth by accident. I cleaned the seats every time we arrived to eat, with my own wet napkins, a total of 15-20 times during our stay, and not even once a waiter offered his help, and they were not busy. 5 star??! no way!

The oriental restaurant is a joke. I dont know what that restaurant s but it is for sure not oriental. Tom yam soup without chili?! Green curry chicken without green curry nor coconut milk. It were more like a wierd non curry-non Thai -nor asian dish with slimy chicken pieces. Completely uneatable, I stayed hungry that night. I lived in asia for 12 months and been there numerous times, I know my asian food, I don't expect good asian food outside asia, but I eat better asian food at budget restaurants in sweden, than here.

The cleaning as I mentioned before is more or less non-existing. After wearing white socks in the room for a few minutes they are dark grey and sticky, I dont know how or if they clean the floor, but change water - use detergent is a tip.
The sand in the area beside the main pool is dirty full of cigarettes, not from people who just left, but from days and weeks before, not a place for a toddler to dig around.

The pool lining are made of some kind of mat, some rubber thing, put out very uneven, looking very cheep, even for a 4 star hotel this would be surprisingly ugly.
There is dirt and grovel in the jacuzzi, and it is never cleaned, the dirt is still there morning after morning.

The aclaimed "beach" in front of the hotel is not a beach, it is a bunch of stones in a bay. You can not walk to the Papagayo beach if you have small children, it is too far and too steep.

If you for any reason still want to stay at this hotel, get a room with sea view, all other rooms have mountain view och views right in to walls and other exiting things with no sun what so ever.

I spoke to the hotel manager about my complaints when we were about to leave, and he had an understanding attitude, and were not aware of most of the problems. But he had no intention to do anything about our bill, no seemingly will to offer any compensation for the problems we had. We upgraded our room to a sea view room, most hotel at a five star level would have offered us the upgrade for free after these complaints but not here, but I did not ask for it, it should not have been necessary.

The shops behind the resort, around the supermarket is surprisingly nice, they have some excellent ceramics.

The surroundings in the eastern part of Playa blanca is nice, from the Rubicon marina and eastwards it is really nice, but choose a different hotel.

I liked Lanzarote, the eastern Playa Blanca, Timanfaya, Teguise, Hária and the local food in the small tapas places in Teguise, but this hotel is just no good, and the five stars must be some kind of joke.

Room Tip: 7320 is a good room with sea views, but with beds hard like rock and the door into the bathroom is v...
Dear Mia S,
Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. We always make sure our hotel is kept very clean, unfortunately when there are many guests in our hotel it is hard for us to keep everything in perfect condition at all times. If any problems occur during you stay, please comment them to the reception of the hotel and they will be able to help you and find a solution. We would like to apologize that you found the sofa bed uncomfortable, but it is good that you mention those matters to us so we can take care of them. There are two dinner turns in our main restaurant so our guests can enjoy their meal without the restaurant being overcrowded and we are sorry that you were not able to eat at the assigned table each night. The quality and professionalism of our entire team are very important features to Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts and we will make sure a situation like this will not occur again. In the three different restaurants we offer many different dishes to our guests each night, but unfortunately it is hard for us to meet every guests taste and we are sorry that you found the food a bit tasteless and that you did not like our Asian restaurant. We can assure you we only offer our guests the best quality of meals. We would like to apologize that you had to clean the baby chair yourself and we will make sure this will not happen again. All our rooms have nice rooms and offer everything our guests may need during their stay. The location of our hotel is perfect for those who want to spend a quiet holiday, but still be able to walk a few minutes to the marina where our guests can find some nice shops to buy souvenirs. We hope you will come to our hotel once again so we can assure you of why we deserve our 5* rating.
Best regards,
Miriam Pla
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend and our little boy (who is 22 months) on an all inclusive break in January.

The hotel itself is lovely - very pretty and although it is large it is well laid out with separate clusters of small white buildings which make up the rooms and plenty of different pool areas to choose from.

I wanted a room with a sea view so that we had somewhere nice to sit when our little boy went to bed and I'm so glad we did. The hotel is right next to the sea and it was worth paying extra for the beautiful view from the balcony. Our room actually looked like the picture of the sea view rooms on the hotels website, really really nice, luxurious, light and airy!

I really liked the choice of pool areas. There was a childs pool area with slides which was good, but we really liked the pool near the main bar which is very pretty and shallow. My little boy loved the music to the water aerobics class in the morning and happily danced along at the side of the pool!

The food has received some criticism on here but I really don't know what else the chefs could do when catering for such a large number of people. We found the food to be very nice and there was a wide range of choice. We chose to sit outside on an evening which I thought had a nicer atmosphere. We also tried the Italian and Chinese and despite the comments on here we preferred the Chinese - the food was to a good standard, they did a good quality childs meal, (which the Italian didn't) and the restaurant itself had a nicer atmosphere and outside area.

The staff always had a smile on their face, which they did well to considering how hard they worked! We found that the hotel was spotless, the pools were really well looked after and the bars areas clean and neat. A special mention must go to reception and the cleaners of room 5255. On our last day we couldn't find my mobile phone in the room and after searching high and low had to leave without it. The hotel contacted us to say they couldn't find it at first but when we explained my little boy must have hidden it somewhere they looked again and have since contacted me to say they have found it. Considering that it had many treasured pictures on it, I am so pleased they have gone out of their way to find it.

I enjoyed the evening when there was entertainment on outside. It was nicer than being inside the sports bar or the kids disco, although lots of parents I spoke to really rated the kids disco.

The only thing that slightly spoilt our stay was that the weather turned during the second part of the week but there is nothing the hotel could have done about that!

All in all we had a great time and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

we stayed at this hotel on 2nd of january 2014 and
to make it very clear from the beginning i go back to this hotel anytime.
having worked in hotels for over 20 years and having holidayed all over the world for 30 and more years I can honestly say that the gran castillo is definitely one who's accommodation is very good, even if are booking a standard room. although some things may look more used than others overall it definitely shows class in nearly all departments.
reception area and foyer;
are bright and stylishly decorated and every one at the reception was very helpful, especially a your young women called julia.

food and service in all restaurants;
wether it's in the buffet, oriental or italian is also well prepared and we enjoyed nearly everything on the menu.

main pool area and pool bar;
the pool area is a good layout, especially if you have smaller kids, as the main pool is very shallow. all bar staff where very helpful and always (nearly) had a smile on there faces.
ll
the only negative points (and this is not a complaint)I could make is that I would have preferred an area such a piano bar instead a sports bar with several tv's. and that some of the sunbeds, furniture in the restaurants and crockery where rather worn/chipped/rickety and should be replaced. but than again thats me.
if anyone needs more in-depth information please do not hesitate to ask, and as I said at the start - we would go back to this hotel without any hesitation-
and to all staff at the gran castillo many thanks to make our holiday so enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dream Gran Castillo Resort? Share your experiences!