“Would stay again :)” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madrid 25, 07830 Sant Antoni de Portmany, Ibiza, Spain   |
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Would stay again :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have stayed in Ibiza in the bay 4 times now and this was a perfect hotel for our girls holiday.

Good points;
- The pool was often completely free so sunbeds were never an issue and it was very often quiet.
- The staff were very friendly, sometimes giggled when we crawled in at 7am.
- Very spacious and clean room, cleaned every 2 days and new towels and bed sheets were replaced.
- Never bothered by noise at all.
- We slept in on our last morning and so checked out of our room an hour late, but were charged nothing extra and still sent out with a smile.
- Location was great, out of the way enough to be quiet daytime, but close enough to the strip of the bay that you were still only 5 mins away at night time.
- No men came in trying to sell you hats and glasses etc, and we were only pestered by 1 person trying to sell us club tickets. Have stayed in several hotels in the bay where you can't read a page of your book without being pestered by someone trying to sell you something!

Bad points;
- These 'self catering' apartments didn't have kettles, sharp knifes (could barely cut a piece of cheese with the knifes we had), scissors or tin openers. All things I would say were essential in a hotel you are presumably cooking for yourself in.
- The shower went hot and cold all the time, presumably when others were using it but could be very painful when scalding water suddenly came down on your sunburn!
- We were pestered by some Italian boys staying opposite us who rang our apartment phone and put notes under our door. The apartment phone I could understand would be useful if you had friends in other rooms, but it was unsettling that anyone (particularly the men who were pestering us) could ring us so easily.
- Whilst the pool bar is cheap and chirpy, we were very disappointed when ordered a 'mixed leaf salad' and we're presented with what I can only describe as a plate of dirty/going off lettuce. Often I find you pay for what you get, but even for 4 euros no one deserves dirty lettuce.
- There was no rep whilst we were there (don't know if there was supposed to be or not). This was annoying for us as previously we have bought our club tickets from a rep (someone we know we can rely on) so we had to risk it this year. We are very wary of buying fake tickets as we know many people try to sell them, we bought our tickets this year from Mar I pins where David sold us some which were authentic.
- The room made lots of strange creeky noises which if sober could keep you up for a long time and cause a very disturbed sleep (I am usually a very heavy sleeper, asleep as soon as my head reaches any pillow!)

Overall the hotel worked for us, it was quiet for us to lounge by the pool getting over our hangovers during the day, and quiet enough night time that we were never kept up. There isn't much to the apartments, they are clean and plain, definitely not luxury but worth staying in and very worth the price we paid, especially if you are going on a club holiday, where all you do is sleep in your room. We probably would have cooked had we had the utensils we required.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Would like to begin my review by saying I am a massive believer in ''you get what you pay for'' and also..if you are looking for 5* then book 5*.
I have stayed in Tropicana Studios twice, in 2008 and also July this year. All was as I expected, clean spacious room, nice balcony, good sized clean pool and plenty of sunbeds. The complex has been refurbished since 2008 and now has a pool bar which serves food. Reception are ok, expecially one of the women receptionist who was lovely. The studios are located perfectly.. close to bars the beach on the bay but round the corner and down the road far enough away to be from the noise and people walking the strip. The only things that I was a little dissapointed with was when our bin was full and the cleaner had attended to our room but not emptied it, we had to put it outside the room.. our hand towels were not changed so when I heard the maid on the corridor I went out and asked to swap for clean ones, she walked to reception and our room telephone range.. reception proceeded to explain that we can not have new towels as we have stained our and will be charged!!...It was makeup on the towels and I explained that they are not stained and suggested they put them through a wash and then come back to us if the towels were damaged. This was refused, so I informed them that I will boil was the towels myself, i did so, and took them unstained back to the maid who accepted them...and handed me 2 'fresh' towels (which were stained!!!!) Cheek of it. It's a 3* Hotel, and generally good...but I am sorry but I do not expect to have to - put the bin out, and hand wash towels when I am on my holidays. If hotel management read this review, please pull your finger out - I have visited Ibiza 4 times and spent a total of 10 weeks on the Island, staying in 8 different hotels and the Tropicana is very pleasent but it is very frustrating that the most simple things that could be improved have not been, However I will still be back! :) Enjoy x

Room Tip: Both room I have stayed in were located at the back of the hotel, this is fine but the pool view roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked a very last minute package deal for one week and chose this hotel not knowing a great deal about it. When we arrived, we definitely felt that we had made a good choice.

The room was spacious and very clean, with a nice balcony, air conditioning and basic kitchen facilities (2 hobs + microwave, fridge/freezer). The bathroom was excellent, with bath and bidet for washing sandy feet. It was cleaned every two days, with fresh sheets and towels. We slept well almost every night, only once being kept up by music next door.

The pool was very nice and perfectly clean, open 9am-9pm with a little kiosk with drinks and fry ups. Even in mid-July, we were often the only people in the pool, and never had trouble getting a lounger and umbrella. There's a shower too to rinse off and a mini golf area!

The location was ideal considering all things - at the quiet end of the tourist strip of Bahia de San Antonio. It's about an average 50min walk to the centre of San Antonio, and some of this is on a nice path along the beach front off the road. Buses go from right outside the hotel to the town and to a number of the more popular beaches in the region (Tarida, Bassa). Just up the road is a supermarket for locals not tourists, so everything is a little cheaper than in the Spar shops along the tourist strip.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Highly recommended as a good value place to act as a base for exploring Ibiza.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbeltown, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hotel Estudios Tropicana were exactly what we wanted for our short break in Ibiza. They were situated in a quiet area of the bay and we needed to get taxis (around 8 Euros) into San Antonio to go to bars/clubs but it was good to be away to get some peace but close enough to get to everything when you want. There were also some bars and restaurants close by, we ate out at a nearby Italian and was lovely. There is a supermarket around the corner that sells everything you need for self catering.

The studio apartment was very clean and adequate for our needs and were cleaned daily. It was very bright and air conditioning was good, well needed for the hot weather. 3 of us stayed in one room and there were 2 single beds as well as a fold out couch bed, all OK. There was a small balcony as well as tables/chairs and there was a kitchen area with fridge and kitchenette for cooking. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and pleasant. They ordered taxis for us when requested. We also managed to get a late checkout for 25 euros.

Pool area was clean and quiet, we managed to get sunbeds every day. The pool bar served reasonably priced food and drinks. However, we did find in some parts of San Antonio drinks and food can be quite expensive.

We really enjoyed our trip and are looking forward to returning already!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My first impressions of this hotel were that it was very, very clean. When we arrived we asked for a pool facing room and the receptionist gave us exactly what we asked for. The room was an adequate size for two people with 2 single beds, a basic kitchenette, a fair sized balcony and a very clean bathroom. The kitchenette had a 2 ringed electric hob, a microwave and fridge with the usual utensils.

We did have a sea view and was able to see the sunset each evening. The hotel was generally quiet throughout the day and night. There was a small kiosk by the pool that serves toasties, pizzas, salads and burgers and chips all at reasonable prices. They also serve alcohol again at reasonable prices and there is a drinks machine and fridge in the reception area which is useful if you are arriving late and need water or a drink.

The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating and the cleaners came in and changed towels and tidied around every two days. We did not hire a safe because we didn’t feel that we needed too as the hotel in general appeared very safe however they are available for your piece of mind. There are two computers in the reception area for internet access and cost 2 euro’s for 40 minutes which again I felt was quite reasonable.
It is situated in a quiet area however if you walk out of the hotel and take a left you will reach an ample amount of bars and restaurants. They stay open until the early hours of the morning however have to keep the music inside after 12 midnight. The beach is about 5 minutes away and if you walk along you can catch a water taxi over to San Antonio that cost 2.50 euro’s and takes about 10 minutes. Alternatively you can walk along the beach which takes longer than walking along the road. The weather in June was in the mid to late 20s and the sun did not start to go down until around 10pm.
Overall it was a very nice hotel situated in a very nice area San Antonio itself at that time of the year is very suitable for young people who far outweighed the older generation. Once in San Antonio you can catch a bus to Evissa however it is like going into a busy city centre with a very busy port. It wasn’t my cup of tea as it was to busy and we couldn’t find a beach.

Overall a nice apartment, friendly staff, nice area and very good weather.

Room Tip: When using the air con you need to shut balconie doors and windows before it works and then switch t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Alderney, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

First of all don't get in any unmarked Taxi's in Ibiza...this was the mistake me and my mates made at Ibiza Airport. I was lying over three of my friends in the back of the Taxi for half an hour...then the Taxi driver charged us 50euros and offered us some Crystal Meth..yeah... Any way after being taken to the wrong Hotel, we were taken to the right one (This Hotel) First impressions..the pool area was nice.;..some standard deck chairs and a few tables etc (wasn't too bothered) Got into the main reception, the bloke behind the counter seemed nice at first but as the week went on he was rude and very unhelpful. Our room was actually quite nice..with a nice balcony outside overlooking some cactuses etc. The air con worked perfectly and only came on when the window and door was shut (fair enough) The beds werent bad as we were completly gone any way when it came to sleeping, a nice thin sheet too as it was soo HOT! In the hotel there were a couple of computers with Internet access, a fridge and vending machines in the main lobby area. The fridge did actually have some nice sandwiches etc in which were nice as a quick snack before heading out. There is a pool table outside (terrible pool cues) The area was pretty quiet..obviously we werent but it is IBIZA after all. Any way...on several occasions we asked one specific bloke at reception to order us a taxi to get to the Strip...we waitied outside as it started to get cool at that time...he said he couldnt get through..this happened about 3 nights in a row so we ended up walking...(about 40 mins away) still to this day i dont believe a taxi company shuts at 11 at night in IBIZA. One night we had to get in one of his mates "taxis" to get to the strip...obviously so he could earn a bit of money. Everytime the other man was behind the desk we got a taxi within 5 minutes which was quality. On our last day at the hotel we got about 3 / 4 phone calls at around 10 in the morning from the rude desk guy asking us to get out of our rooms ...we pleaded we needed 15 mins more...3 minutes later...another phone call and this kept happening until we were out of the room. Extremely rude! We were bookede on a shuttle bus back to the Airport ..which apparently our names werent down on ...i had to bribe the bus guy 10 euros to get on as me and my mates had no more money and needed to get home it was a JOKE..before hand me and my mates were running around like headless chickens trying to sort out money and taxis with the desk guy...surprise surprise "they arent answering" i pleaded again we need to get home we need a taxi just ring another company...no one was answering apparently...we must have annoyed him once and that was it. Any way the Hotel is in a good location about a 5-10 min walk from some shops,restaurants and CASH MACHINE just out of the main doors turn right head down to the bottom of the road (on the corner of this road is a very nice restaurant i recommend the spag bol :P very good and they do kareoke some nights for the real english lot lol) and right again for about 5 mins. There was a bowling ally nearby which was dead as you can imagine. I'm pretty sure the rooms in the hotel were cleaned once when we were there which is disgusting if you ask me ...7 days / cleaned once. Also there were so many stray cats wondering around underneath our balcony every day and night making stupid noises that was annoying. Each of us lost an item of clothing off the balcony which was picked up and never returned by the Hotel even after we asked they said they would find them for us but nothing..The shower trickled out like I don't know what... wasn't powerful at all. In the main lobby there are a few leaflets of Ibiza, what to see, do etc which is helpfull. It was also a very very cheap place to stay, so the issues we experienced were mild enough for the price we paid! I would reccomend this to a group of mates as it is in a perfect location and has a nice pool area and nice sandwiches in the lobby. Also decent sized tables in the rooms which if you are in drinking before going out ..are perfect for playing cards on. They also dont care about Alcohol being taken in ;) The only thing i would recommend....order a Taxi well in advance and don't get in any unmarked...PEACE!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just come back from a week in San Antonio Bay, Ibiza, staying here at the Estudios Tropicana.

The apartments are at the far end of the Bay so is nice and quiet but close enough to get to everything, the walk into San An town only takes about 45 mins. Probably too quiet and far out for those who want to party hard but it was perfect for us, just having a relaxed short break.

I really recommend taking your own kettle, as one isn't provided, but the room has a little kitchennette with pots, plates & cutlery. There's a little Suma supermarket if you turn left out of the hotel entrance and left again at the very top of the road. Carry on past Suma to get to Zafira, a nice Spanish locals bar/restaurant, good food (not burger & chips), reasonable prices.

We also recommend going on a day trip to Ibiza old town (Dalt Vila), get the bus no 2 from opposite Zafira to San An bus station, then buy a ticket to Eivissa town bus station (more like lots of buses parked up along a busy high street), then it's a short walk (lots of signs) to Dalt Vila from there. To get back from there go to the same bus stop, near where u get off there's a little office/ sales counter where you can buy a ticket back to San An - 2 euros each, each way - bargain! Dalt Vila is well worth it too, beautiful place but some steep steps and lots of walking.

Will definitely go back to Ibiza, there are some great bits of San Antonio Bay and Town, not a mad party place at all in October, though it may be in peak season.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Hotel Estudios Tropicana? Share your experiences!