“Everything we hoped for...” 5 of 5 stars

La Casella, ECO-Resort
Strada Casella 4, 05016 Ficulle, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ficulle
Phoenix, Arizona
“Everything we hoped for...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent a week at La Casella, booking as an RCI timeshare trade. After finding many dumpy options in Italy on RCI, I was thrilled to find this resort as an option. This resort was everything I had hoped for and more. The resort itself is a large property, set in the stunning scenery of Umbria, about an hour and a half north of Rome. Everywhere you turn, you want to have your camera out because the views are stunning. You will definitely need a car to enjoy the surrounding areas. This resort is the perfect location to take day trips to different locations in Italy. We visited Orvieto (great Duomo), Florence, Rome, Pisa (just for the leaning tower), Civita (cool bridge to get there but not much to do), Montepulciano (loved this town), Lake Bolsena (pretty but mostly camping sites around the lake - not much else) and Siena (a favorite city - huge market on Wednesday), all of which were easy driving distances. There are two train stations within a 20 minute drive, and we recommend taking the train into larger cities like Florence and Rome. We also drove to Cinque Terre after we checked out. None of these places was more than a 3 hour drive/train trip. There was a small winery down the road, and they gave us a personal tour, served us a fabulous lunch and wine tasting, and we ended up buying wine there and having it shipped home (didn't love the wine at the more famous winery in Montepulciano).

The room was exactly as I had hoped - very Tuscan and roomy. We had a unit that slept six, for our family of four (including two children). There was a small kitchen, and and three stories with a bedroom upstairs and a bedroom downstairs. Two of my only complaints about this resort- the beds were not very comfortable, and we could definitely have used at least one cleaning during our week. Otherwise, this room was perfect for us.

Our timeshare included "half-board," and this cost us around $1,00 for our family of four for the week and included breakfast and the five-course dinner every night. The breakfast was not fabulous - some fresh fruit or protein would have been nice - but we enjoyed the pastries and they will make you fresh drinks which are fabulous (they made my kids hot cocoa which was to die for). The dinners were fabulous. I wasn't sure how I would feel about sitting with other guests every night, but we met some very interesting people. I saw some couples sitting alone so this may be an opion if you ask. Keep in mind that the dinners take a long time - around 2 hours. This was a little difficult for my kids, especially since we were busy talking with the other adults (though they actually looked forward to the dinners -the food was great). My daughter is a vegetarian and they were so nice to accomodate her diet, making her vegetarian options for every course that contained meat. The food was delicious and we were completely stuffed every night.

The staff was extremely friendly. From the front desk to the equestrian center, they were very helpful and concerned that everything was perfect during our stay. One of the reasons we chose this resort was because of the equestrian center, as my daughter rides at home and loves horses. The equestrian center did not disappoint. They have around 35 horses and ponies, and we were even lucky to be there as they added a new one - a pony had a baby which was adorable. My kids took lessons twice. They have several arenas to ride in, and wow are these horses lucky - they go out to graze every day in this gorgeous field surrounded by mountains every day. We did not do any trail rides, but we talked to guests who did and enjoyed it, and I am sure with this property, the views must be spectacular. The guide who gives lessons and takes care of the horses was very nice and obviously loved the horses as they were well taken care of. My kids also loved the other animals around the resort, including two dogs, cats, and we visted the chicken coop (which we were told they use only for eggs). Note that there is a lot of hunting in the area - we heard dogs and rifle shots several mornings. I believe they are hunting for fox and wild boar.

The pool, tennis courts, etc. were not in great working order since we were there in the fall, but I am sure these are regularly maintained and fabulous in the summer.

All in all, this is an amazing place to stay if you want to visit Tuscany/Umbria. Apparently not everyone likes this type of place, as you are in with a nature a bit and there can be bugs, dirt, etc. If you want a five-star, sterilized resort, don't stay here. If you want to have an amazing Italian experience in the heart of Umbria, don't hesitate to stay at La Casella.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just got back from the eco-resort and I miss it already. I wake up an go to bed thinking about it. Our group of ten was treated so well throughout our entire stay. I am still impressed with the service and attention we got. From the moment we arrived we were spoiled. Each dinner and lunch was set up for us at some gorgeous location in Umbria. We also had fun wine tours throughout the week. Night one we ate at Bucaa della Luca in Cittia de Pieve which ended up being a supreme dinner with endless wine. We sampled so many wonderful things. Too bad my new favorite restaurant is 6000 miles away :(

Some of the driving was on dirt roads which felt like an adventure to me. I loved it. The room we stayed in at La Casella was beautiful. Felt very homie. Breakfast in the morning was limited to pastries, cereal and cappuccinos. I hardly ever eat breakfast in the morning so, a beautiful cup of capp made me very happy each morning. Most of our time was spent touring around Umbria which was picturesque. We had one day when it rained and it made everything look even more alive, fresh and clean. Magical. The only thing I didn't get to do was ride a horse. The place is known as an equestrian retreat, so I was disappointed I didn't give myself enough time to do that. Looks like there are incredible trails to ride on.

I will say with all the amazing things I got to see, eat, and experience the treatment we received from La Casella was the best. The got us in touch with amazing chefs throughout Umbira, and set up some amazing wines and country tours. We had discussions within our group as to why everyone was treating us so well. The final answer we came up with is "This place is just that amazing"! Wow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Don't stay here. It's horrible for reasons far too many to mention. Stay in Orvieto. We couldn't wait to leave, especially after i found hopping spiders in my luggage. Can't use the pool cause it has algae in it, can't use the hot tub cause it has algae in it. Road to the resort is 15 minutes of unpaved, pot-holed misery. No a/c. Flies, spiders, wasps, mosquitoes everywhere. If you're crazy enough to stay here, pray it doesn't rain. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit. We felt like we were in a cave. Lounge chairs at the unit were a joke, as if you could sit outside without being eaten alive by all the bugs. Don't bother with Off, but that's another story. I repeat, do not stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a good room someplace else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arriving at La Casella is like coming home. The staff is pleasant and helpful, the rustic food (always five dishes for dinner) tastes delicious and the surroundings with the mountains, the fields, vineyards and the small Italian villages are picturesque.

I try to go here at least once a year and have done so for six years now. My main interest is horses, and trekking at La Casella is great for anyone who likes to ride and at the same time experience nature up close. The horses are fit, strong and sure-footed. The guides are true horsemen who know the surroundings better than their own pockets and can customize the tour to their guests' ability.

Try a full day in the saddle, with a wonderful lunch in the woods or on a nearby vineyard, a memory for life. Take a riding lesson, relax by the pool or take a scenic drive to one of all the Umbrian and Tuscan destinations located in the region.

Umbria is an interesting region. In an otherwise fairly densely populated and crowded tourist Italy, Umbria offers the tranquility, authenticity and genuine hospitality that few European countries or regions can match. La Casella is an excellent starting point for those who want to feel at home in Umbria.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at La Casella for one week, very nice and relaxing place, beautiful views and a homely feel to it. Great central location for day trips to other nearby towns and surrounding areas. Everyone at the resort was really helpful and friendly. Definitely recommend that you take up the chance to have dinner in the woods which is hosted by the resort and a fantastic experience with great company. We also attended a day's cooking class by Chef Mondi which we really enjoyed. Restaurant served great food with all local fresh produce. Facilities at the resort were great, in particular the swimming pool and tennis court was a great way to relax with a difference. Overall we had a great time and will definitely return to la casella in the future. Special thanks to Matt &Gabriella and the rest of the group for making our time at La Casella a great week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Washington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

La Casella is more an agriturismo (farm resort/dude ranch) than a spa resort but offers a very authentic Umbrian experience within an easy drive to many beautiful towns. We ate dinner there every night for a week and were always delighed with the 5 course set menu that included fine locally produced wine & olive oil. Another highlight of our stay was the communal dining & conversations with the many regular clients & a magic by the bartender.

Room Tip: Some of the resort's cottages/rooms necessitate a vehicle to reach the reception area, main pool...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

On the hilltop of San Terenziano, you will find La Casella, a family run villa that offers top quality service for families and groups. Every morning when you get up and open your window to the Umbrian countryside, it seems new everyday. The colors change with the light and offer you a 360 degree postcard experience. We were 25 family members staying for 10 days, and we were treated with such discretion and respect that we had nothing more to ask. The food every evening was gastronomically speaking top notch. High quality diet adapted platters were served to accommodate all the different diets. The pool was clean and the rooms were excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Casella, ECO-Resort? Share your experiences!