We booked for a full week at the Villa Campestri to celebrate our 25 wedding anniversary and have had the best holiday imaginable. We arrived at the Villa courtesy of our very accurate say nav and the slightly windy road to find an oasis of quiet and calm nestling in the Northern Tuscan hills on the South side of the Mugello valley.
The Villa is beautifully appointed and we stayed in a very comfortable downstairs room in the converted barn across the courtyard. The staff were incredibly welcoming, courteous and knowledgable. The room was decorated tastefully with luxurious period furniture, day bed and large bathroom. Even though there was no air conditioning the room, provided remained ventilated, remained cool in the day and through the night which were comfortable.
Breakfast was lovely and we soon fell into the habit of missing lunch having eaten well in the morning and then enjoying a lovely evening meal. The dinner menu was both interesting, beautifully served, and extremely tasty. The light menu, including complimentary prosecco, was good value and out of our 7 nights we ate in the restaurant on three occasions. We favoured the house red wine which was very nice and reasonably priced.
We had intended spending our days exploring the sites but only went as farms Florence via train from the local train station at Borgo San Lorenzo from which The city is only a 40 minute ride on the fast train. We took the slow train back to the villa and enjoyed the trundle through the countryside via Viccio.
The Villa's pool is beautifully maintained and long enough to get reasonable exercise if you really need to. In the end we stayed relatively local touring the Mugello valley, visiting the local vineyard, Frascole (meeting the very accommodating owner Enrico), eating in Viccio (lovely pizzeria and more formal trattoria), and visiting a large supermarket that specialised in selling local produce.
We will definitely be staying at Villa Campestri again. It is a truly beautiful haven of peace and quiet; and a wonderful place to start to fall in love with Tuscany.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort, a splendid Renaissance residence dating back to the 13th century, overlooks the Mugello Valley, north of Florence. Situated on a hilltop, the estate is immersed in a hug lush park with secular olive trees, providing a superb organic extra-virgin olive oil. A loving restoration has been carried out with full respect for the structural form and original materials of the buildings. The rooms and suites preserves the ancient fascination of the residence, thanks also to the period furnishings. Traditional Tuscan cuisine and a special Olive Oil Menu are served at the L'Olivaia Restaurant featuring stylish inner rooms and a striking outdoor panoramic terrace. The relaxing swimming pool boasts a stunning view of the Valley. An extensive choice of memorable activities is available: Oleoteca® to enjoy extra-virgin olive oil sensory experiences, Tuscan cooking classes, Ayurvedic massages with self-produced extra-virgin olive oil and essential oils and plant your own olive tree. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Venere, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Campestri Olive Oil Hotel Vicchio
- Campestri Hotel Vicchio
- Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort Vicchio, Italy - Tuscany