It's not a 5 star hotel. Absolutely. Though it costs like one. But it's a marvelous place. Not many hotels nowadays bring us this miracle of time-travel, keeping us together with the essentials of modern civilization, like warm WC located preferably in our own chamber, and not in the corridor or outdoors.
Villa il Poggiale, the moment you cross the gateline, after you've parked your car to melt on hot Mediterranean sun under olive trees, hugs you and takes directly... almost directly to the year 1902: the time, when Mediterranean leisure traveling was the only option in the world.
It keeps this unrepeatable scent of history, its charm (together with some strong smell of a very old building, but it's OK if you can stand it), its furniture, its rules, its food.
It's better if you have a car, then you can travel around the wonderful valley Vall-di-Peza. You can go to San Casiano, to Lucca, to Sienna...
You shall get all the basic facilities modern people need here, but please don't look for the wifi, I think it has joined efforts with local ghosts and keeps wandering around the building, hiding from guests (excuse me for this strange comparison). The signal is strong only near the reception. You shall get wonderful home food. A bar in the reading hall with no barmen - you pour yourself, you pay yourself. Pure trust. Swimming pool is not to big, but it's the right size to swim with your children, having a cocktail and watching the olive and grape fields that are stretched along the whole horizon.
The stay shall be expensive. The food shall be expensive. Maybe more, than you can expect for that kind of service. But it's not the service, that you are paying for. It's the time travel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica is located in the heart of the Chianti region, only a few kilometres from the historic centre of Florence. The property is classified as a historic villa, finely restored, offering a warm, friendly service and great hospitality: even the smallest details have been carefully considered to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. In an oasis of peace surrounded by enchanting gardens, fragrant with roses and plants, guests can sip a tea and start a beautiful day in the country with a good breakfast rich of products and ingredients of Tuscan cuisine, from homemade cakes, honey, fresh ricotta to salami. From April to October the restaurant is open. Each day the chef prepares lunch buffet with typical dishes of Tuscan tradition, accompanied by a good selection of local wines. We organize cooking lessons in Villa. The villa also features a brand new wellness Centre. Guests can now relax in this Chianti SPA accommodation offering simple treatments, essential oils and fragrances made with raisins, olives, citrus fruits and honey. The Villa offers Wi-Fi connection free of charge. The property is the ideal for romantic getaways or holidays with the entire family, in addition to wedding ceremonies, banquets, work breakfasts, meetings, and much more. Children are welcome offering them services and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Venere, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Villa il Poggiale Dimora Storica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel San Casciano In Val Di Pesa
- Hotel Il Poggiale Dimora Storica
- Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Italy/Tuscany